Stroth

Nauset? How bad is it?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Been absent from the boards or a long time, but still read and try to catch up from time to time.  So nice to see some of the long time posters still contributing to this site.  

My family demands have really cut into my saltwater fishing.  My 45 year old self should have told 25 year old self to fish longer and harder...

I am headed to the nauset beach area with my family and am gonna dig out my gear and give it a go.  i know there are sharks.  I know there are seals.  I know it's not what it used to be, but there have to still be some bass or blues around there right?  How bad is it?  I haven't fished or honestly been to that area in years.... 

I fish alone, don't post often or much at all anymore, I'm not looking to spot burn.

How bad is it out there?  Is it even worth bringing the gear?  Any advice, updates, or sources of info. that I should look for are very much appreciated.  Happy to exchange PMS or emails. 

THANK YOU

Stroth

35 mins ago, Stroth said:

Been absent from the boards or a long time, but still read and try to catch up from time to time.  So nice to see some of the long time posters still contributing to this site.  

My family demands have really cut into my saltwater fishing.  My 45 year old self should have told 25 year old self to fish longer and harder...

I am headed to the nauset beach area with my family and am gonna dig out my gear and give it a go.  i know there are sharks.  I know there are seals.  I know it's not what it used to be, but there have to still be some bass or blues around there right?  How bad is it?  I haven't fished or honestly been to that area in years.... 

I fish alone, don't post often or much at all anymore, I'm not looking to spot burn.

How bad is it out there?  Is it even worth bringing the gear?  Any advice, updates, or sources of info. that I should look for are very much appreciated.  Happy to exchange PMS or emails. 

THANK YOU

Stroth

Grab your gear and go..............Just being outside on the beach cures many ailments and perhaps catching a fish would be a welcome bonus.................

News reports from last night had Nauset shut down due shark siting. Plymouth harbor master filmed a tuna fairly close to shore reported too. There is a seal (or more) in the Ditch that I keep hearing at night. Still you have to get out there and fish.

Edited by heyblue34

1 hour ago, heyblue34 said:

News reports from last night had Nauset shut down due shark siting. Plymouth harbor master filmed a tuna fairly close to shore reported too. There is a seal (or more) in the Ditch that I keep hearing at night. Still you have to get out there and fish.

We call him Sammy. But I think he has a few pals. :dismay:

If nothing else.. I've found the canal seal/s correlate pretty closely with whether or not bass and bait are around. On just about every night there's been fish caught in my area, there's been snorting and splashing from a seal. The times I don't notice a seal around usually go for skunks. 

Sammy or whatever is a pretty big boy too. Large bull seal.

He eats well. 

Sammy and I had a close encounter last year.   We were tossing jigs late one night, and Sammy made an unscheduled appearance.   Snorting and diving right in front of us.  After a while he left, and we could see him a couple hundred yards down current.    I cast out, and as I waited for my jig to hit bottom, my line floated to meet the surface of the water. When I felt the jig hit bottom, the closed my bail, and mended my line. Just as I tightened my line, up cones Sammy, and swims directly into my line.  The moment he felt the line, he exploded, leaving a surface footprint at least 8' across.    Sammy took off for parts unknown for the rest of the night.  I was surprised just running into line like that freaked him out. 

7 mins ago, bob_G said:

Sammy and I had a close encounter last year.   We were tossing jigs late one night, and Sammy made an unscheduled appearance.   Snorting and diving right in front of us.  After a while he left, and we could see him a couple hundred yards down current.    I cast out, and as I waited for my jig to hit bottom, my line floated to meet the surface of the water. When I felt the jig hit bottom, the closed my bail, and mended my line. Just as I tightened my line, up cones Sammy, and swims directly into my line.  The moment he felt the line, he exploded, leaving a surface footprint at least 8' across.    Sammy took off for parts unknown for the rest of the night.  I was surprised just running into line like that freaked him out. 

Makes me wonder if he's been hooked before. If so, he may have learned these night apes on shore have a dangerous stinger attached to these lines. Like a big jellyfish tentacle. And it can hurt (as well as provide an opportunity for stolen food).

Watched Sammy a few nights ago almost get walloped by a boat that I’m pretty sure never even saw him. Just floating along with the current and a center console came throttled down through mid canal; I watched him dive probably 15 ft before the bow was over his wake. Fast critters; luckily for the guy doing full speed through the canal or he would have hit 500 lbs of blubber head on.

20 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm right there with Sammy.  Precisely why I wear waders/wetsuit ANY time I plan to be in the water at night.  seaweed or anything brushes my leg at night and I'm walking on water to get out

Encouraging info. thank you very much.  
I am bringing the gear.  Man some of it is old, is the Mitchell Nautil 7500 still considered top of the line? I've got one brand new, still in the box...

As for the canal, I think the strangest thing I ever saw was a sea turtle swimming by the fish pier.