PSegnatelli

Casting Egg anyone?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Very popular in RI, I believe was invented here.  Great for fishing spots where you don’t want to get hung up and if strong wind in your face.  

15 hours ago, wrboz said:

If you tied a crippled herring with a hook to the end of your line and tied a fly or grub a couple of feet ahead of it as a teaser you could fish 2 lures at once. It also casts better. I tend to use a teaser when fishing deeper water and a casting egg when fishing shallower water.

great suggestion, thanks.  

They do work well, I’ve caught just about every possible surface species in NE on one, often when they would not hit anything else. After some years using this rig, I have a love hate relationship with it. 

The issues I have found have been fouling and tangling. After some time the fly usually gets to twisting the leader. Once this happens it can be a pain. Wind can also cause this. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yup, teasers can definitely get tangled up and wrapped around the leader. It helps if you keep your teaser on a short leash (like 4-6 inches), and use heavy line on the teaser. Also, if you use a smaller swivel, and tie it on with a palomer knot, the teaser tends to stand out at more of a right angle to the main line, so it tangles less.

Edited by wrboz

On 7/30/2020 at 6:34 AM, NonTypical said:

Anyone know where to purchase a lead egg like this?2C2C043F-0614-4ADB-951B-2283CFF39F98.png.86599b1c5e26d2759f9653b8f6ce940c.png

That's a swinging rugby jig head. VMC makes them as well as others.

2 hours ago, boostr said:

That's a swinging rugby jig head. VMC makes them as well as others.

Thank you. That is exactly the information that I was looking for. 

On 7/31/2020 at 9:40 AM, rwilhelm said:

Very popular in RI, I believe was invented here.  Great for fishing spots where you don’t want to get hung up and if strong wind in your face.  

Huh, invented in RI.  I thought they came from wooden casting chickens.

2-1/2″ Wood Hen Eggs

Item #FFE200

Wood Hen Eggs

2-1/2" tall x 1-3/4" wide

Egg has flat bottom for standing

Sold in packs of:
Choose an option1525100
QTY 1 2+
PER PACK $18.00

A person can get a bag of 25 for the price above online. 

Killer with a added bucktail or artificial grew up fishing these with my grandpops. Little twitch let the current work them something so simple yet so productive!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm intrigued.  I've heard about casting eggs and have never tried them, but I have some time off at the end of the month, so I just grabbed a few from Salty's.  Looking forward to messing around with new a technique. Seems like an interesting option for spending time with the kids on the rocky north shore of LI during the day.  Thanks gents.     

Edited by Sqwiddig