PSegnatelli

Casting Egg anyone?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, valentine said:

Never used a casting egg, but I’m intrigued.

Do you really need to use the nail or will it work well without it?

"need"?  No.  but it really helps to prevent helicoptering when laying into a cast.   

I substitute a floating surface lure when I dont have a casting egg, and its fine but you lose some distance (may not matter), espcially with longer leader and heavier tail lure.

1 hour ago, joem said:

You can take the hooks off a floating plug to get the same effect

That's what I've been doing for the past 3 decades.  I take all the hooks off a mid-sized chug bug. Then attach around 3' of 20#-30#  mono to the back eye. Then tie on a ~1/8oz jig with a 4" paddletail soft plastic.  Work it the same way you would if you were just fishing the chug bug alone, mostly with a moderate speed popping retrieve.  95% of the time the striper will hit the trailing jig.  This technique works well with the skittish stripers that only want to swirl at the chug bug... they will come back a bash the trailing jig.  DO NOT use this technique when big blues are around.  If a big blue hits the trailer jig then his buddies will destroy the chug bug... then your whole rig is gone.:banghd:

1 hour ago, Badtothebugs said:

I'm curious if your water bobber for FW is the same as the bubble rig we use down south.

I use these.  Put some waterin the bubble.  Run the line thru and twist the bubble when u get the length u want.  Tie on a fly and that's it

download.jpeg

3 hours ago, joem said:

i use a 1oz crippled herring w/ the hook removed, then a 2 ft leader with a fly or cocahoe minnow attached to the leader.

6 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I use these.  Put some waterin the bubble.  Run the line thru and twist the bubble when u get the length u want.  Tie on a fly and that's it

download.jpeg

Yep thats a bubble rig. We tie straw rigs small x raps or jigs on the back amd work it relarively fast for Spanish Hardtail bobos chicken dolphin. Kind of a staple for pier and bridge fisherman on the gulf coast.  Some people use that amd a McDonalds straw to fill a cooler of Spanish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Anyone use a casting egg to deliver ultra light baits & lures?  

I've been a fan of water bobbers for freshwater fishing for a long time. And while trying to reinvent the wheel for saltwater, I came across casting eggs. Which came out over 70years ago!  

Ordered some from Saltys. 

Can't wait to try them!  

I use a Wilson tennis ball with the leader going through it.

saw an old timer steer his bucktail with one in rhody once,was amazing to watch,he made it go left,right then it went down and yup fish was on it but,it was a fluke not a bass.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

if it hasn't been said already, look up Fishaholic on the Youtubes and search for his albie videos. he uses them with some success. 

also, can check craft stores like Micheals for wood eggs as cheap as a buck but not sure how much they weigh. you'd have to rig them up too (which doesn't look too complicated)/ 

Edited by youngc

13 hours ago, joem said:

Horse ****. 

the egg I have (same one in the picture with the bass) can outcast and floating lure you have. It’s a floating weight. Bombs away

Edited by ErikT

7 mins ago, ErikT said:

Horse ****. 

the egg I have (same one in the picture with the bass) can outcast and floating lure you have. It’s a floating weight. Bombs away

The wooden eggs I use are @ 2 oz. and really bomb out in the surf a great distance because of their weight and aerodynamic shape. This makes them ideal searching lures ( w/bucktail, jig heads- soft plastic, whatever) covering  a lot of distance and this is why one of the reasons they work so well. They egg cast great in windy weather too and handles big surf pretty well. 

I really don’t remember names of websites and members here but I “think” I got the egg at surfcastingRI.com or something?  Maybe saltwateredge. I really can’t remember all the things I’ve forgotten :o

Edited by ErikT

10 hours ago, pemidog said:

i use a 1oz crippled herring w/ the hook removed, then a 2 ft leader with a fly or cocahoe minnow attached to the leader.

If you tied a crippled herring with a hook to the end of your line and tied a fly or grub a couple of feet ahead of it as a teaser you could fish 2 lures at once. It also casts better. I tend to use a teaser when fishing deeper water and a casting egg when fishing shallower water.

I started using casting eggs I made over the winter this spring. I've had at least 5 nights where the egg saved me from a skunking, and others where it outproduced other lures. I fished so many hours for weakfish this May, the only 3 I got were under the egg. There's a bridge under which I had to stand down current. I put the egg on and flung a jig way up river under the bridge, let it float back to me while barely keeping tension on/ retrieving my line...it worked/caught. So, I suggest being creative with egg use, they do more than just get better distance. Let an egg float your fly into the eddie 50 yards away, there might be bass there looking for baitfish that would naturally do what your fly just did. I also made a tiny egg and have done well on largemouth and crappy with it. Without the helicoptering (like using a bobber) I can put/suspend a tiny jig into the hole in the weeds, under the branch, into the wind, etc. with accuracy. Sometimes those freshwater bass want a suspended lure more than crawling one back on bottom. The jig pendulums under the egg and sometimes I get a fish 5 seconds after I threw it into the spot. A plain jig would've been 1/2 way back to my kayak in that time

9 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

I started using casting eggs I made over the winter this spring. I've had at least 5 nights where the egg saved me from a skunking, and others where it outproduced other lures. I fished so many hours for weakfish this May, the only 3 I got were under the egg. There's a bridge under which I had to stand down current. I put the egg on and flung a jig way up river under the bridge, let it float back to me while barely keeping tension on/ retrieving my line...it worked/caught. So, I suggest being creative with egg use, they do more than just get better distance. Let an egg float your fly into the eddie 50 yards away, there might be bass there looking for baitfish that would naturally do what your fly just did. I also made a tiny egg and have done well on largemouth and crappy with it. Without the helicoptering (like using a bobber) I can put/suspend a tiny jig into the hole in the weeds, under the branch, into the wind, etc. with accuracy. Sometimes those freshwater bass want a suspended lure more than crawling one back on bottom. The jig pendulums under the egg and sometimes I get a fish 5 seconds after I threw it into the spot. A plain jig would've been 1/2 way back to my kayak in that time

Thats how I fish them in FW w/ the water bobber.   Few things I hate about the WB is ... 

-Bounce it off a rock and your done.   

-Using the latex tube to twist & secure the WB to the line. If I get a line break it's almost always right above the WB tip. 

-The helicopter 

But I'm definitely going to make some mini ones!  Just seems perfect.  I've got a ton of wine corks I'm going to mess with.  

I'm sitting here laughing to myself.  My saltwater gear selection is looking just like my freshwater gear selection.  Last 2 springs I was Killing it in early spring with a bucktail ice fishing jig and a 1inch Gulp minnow.  All under a sliding WB.  Slab bluegills that rivaled small scup in size, largest pickerel I've ever seen 24in (ish) and 3-4lb LBs.