PSegnatelli

Casting Egg anyone?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

1 min ago, albacized said:

Wooden casting eggs and fly rigs are also effective for hardtails (bonito, albies, spanish macs) 

Do you work it fast or just let the fly float there?

You do retrieve it, fast enough to create some splashing action with the egg...but don't do the 'reel in as fast as you can' thing...moderate it. On the flip side, while these fish occasionally hit dead drifted flies while fly fishing, I don't think dead drifting would be as effective while using a casting egg

Im also thinking of using a TA clip.    I've got a bunch of teasers and epoxy minnows in a variety of colors.  Would make it alot faster to narrow it down on what is working.   

Maybe even put a thin squid strip or chunk of gulp too. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, albacized said:

You do retrieve it, fast enough to create some splashing action with the egg...but don't do the 'reel in as fast as you can' thing...moderate it. On the flip side, while these fish occasionally hit dead drifted flies while fly fishing, I don't think dead drifting would be as effective while using a casting egg

That makes sense.  Any issue with blues slicing them off?   Heavy mono leader maybe??

Right now I rigged it with 30lb flouro. But also have 50lb mono and lighter flouro.    

I'm anticipating fluke and searobin. Hopefully bass and blues.  

If I start gettin into blues I'd switch to something else

Edited by PSegnatelli

The epoxies should work very well...small deceivers, and other small deceivers - also, I saw someone do with with small three inch white sluggos. And down in FL, I have great luck with spanish mackerel using a splashing egg/small clarks trolling spoon combo (haven't tried this particular combo where I fish here in the NE (MA/RI), but can't imagine why it wouldn't work

1 min ago, PSegnatelli said:

That makes sense.  Any issue with blues slicing them off?   Heavy mono leader maybe??

Right now I rigged it with 30lb flouro. But also have 50lb mono and lighter flouro.    

I'm anticipating fluke and searobin. Hopefully bass and blues.  

When fishing for bonito/albies, I only use 15-20 lb flouro...but the 30 would be fine for bass and fluke (in fact, the fickleness of bonito and albies can vary day to day, and sometimes they'll hit while using heavier leaders as well), but yes....blues will slice them off. However, I would only use the 50 if 1) I was targeting only blues and 2) if I didn't have any wire leader material handy

4 mins ago, joem said:

You can take the hooks off a floating plug to get the same effect

I've done that...as long as it's heavy-ish, it should work as well as a casting egg (wooden casting eggs are very dense/compact and cast very well for their sizes)

1 hour ago, sytheteacher said:

They are good to use when Fluke fishing...

Really?

Thats interesting. 
Would you mind sharing how you use the egg fluking W/ us please?

Thanks.

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Really?

Thats interesting. 

Thanks.

JD

It does work...but in specific situations, such as off a beach where the water is not deep and the lure that you're pairing the casting egg to is weighted (such as a bucktail, or a soft plastic on a weighted jig head)...Its not going to work in the middle of a deep boating channel :-)

Edited by albacized

2 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Really?

Thats interesting. 

Thanks.

JD

Cast parallel to the coast and only in shallow waters..This way the fly or bucktail can sink to the bottom and attract the fish... 

Yup make your own . 99cents and alil labor .

fun way to fish . I been wanting to try drifting bugs under it .  

I do well with 1/4-1/2 oz bucks under them to 

9A75E2CA-29BE-4D80-91C7-BC94AF285C89.jpeg