PSegnatelli

Casting Egg anyone?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone use a casting egg to deliver ultra light baits & lures?  

 

I've been a fan of water bobbers for freshwater fishing for a long time. And while trying to reinvent the wheel for saltwater, I came across casting eggs. Which came out over 70years ago!  

 

Ordered some from Saltys. 

 

Can't wait to try them!  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use a casting egg often. Haven’t caught much when using it. But I don’t catch much anyway. Lol 
 

I have a yellow one with a finishing nail. The thing casts a mile. I need to try some small fin-S or maybe some gulp

Edited by ErikT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Anyone use a casting egg to deliver ultra light baits & lures?  

 

I've been a fan of water bobbers for freshwater fishing for a long time. And while trying to reinvent the wheel for saltwater, I came across casting eggs. Which came out over 70years ago!  

 

Ordered some from Saltys. 

 

Can't wait to try them!  

The “ egg and a jig” lure system is quite possibly the best day time producer of striped bass that I have ever used. It accounts for triple digit numbers of stripers for me each year. I often wonder why more folks don’t use this rig in the surf? It is also one of the best producers of false albacore when the egg is used in conjunction with a fly. 

026F916D-8777-4BD3-9293-DACE331E2CBD.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually purchase my casting eggs as wooden Easter eggs from a craft store..Then I drill them to through wire and  add the nail to hold the hook..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 mins ago, NonTypical said:

19B93118-A98D-4D0E-BFFC-BC20415E35F5.png.42c6f21054b385f8994ffccdd4d8d186.png

This one? $8.99 for just one egg?

Similar but not that one.  

Thru wired and painted. I could probably make one, but by the time I get all the supplies I'm over the 10$  

You'll pay 30$ for a broomstick chunk with hooks thou. 

11 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

The “ egg and a jig” lure system is quite possibly the best day time producer of striped bass that I have ever used. It accounts for triple digit numbers of stripers for me each year. I often wonder why more folks don’t use this rig in the surf? It is also one of the best producers of false albacore when the egg is used in conjunction with a fly. 

026F916D-8777-4BD3-9293-DACE331E2CBD.jpeg

Thanks!   I rigged it up with a sandeel teaser I bought from @NJTramcar  

 

Also have some tin jig teasers from danthetinman 

I was also thinking it might be a great way to keep baits like chunks or sandfleas drifting off the bottom and away from crabs. 

 

Hoping to get out tonight and give it a rip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I usually purchase my casting eggs as wooden Easter eggs from a craft store..Then I drill them to through wire and  add the nail to hold the hook..

Awesome.  Eventually I'd like to do this. 

 

I'd love to make mini ones for freshwater.  I break the waterbobbers all the time.   

 

Hellgramite or wooly bugger fly for summer time smallmouth and trout. Booyah!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.