hobbyisterisis

What sharks/rays have you tried eating?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Newcomer here. I've been catching a lot of sharks and rays from the surf and I always release them. But I was on a party boat recently and saw that people were taking them home (one of them was a Blacktip, I don't know what the others were). Do all sharks (that we can take home) taste similar? I'm 50/50 on trying it... But I guess I won't know unless I try it?

I read that it's best to gut it right away and ice it to prevent it from getting too much of the ammonia scent. I guess I'll start with that.

If you're going to eat any shark I would immediately bleed it out and process it, cut it into steaks and get them on ice. Once you get home soak it in milk overnight, the next day prepare it however you want, personally I would blacken it, I've only eaten blacktip and haven't bothered to try any of the other species

Just now, AJR said:

If you're going to eat any shark I would immediately bleed it out and process it, cut it into steaks and get them on ice. Once you get home soak it in milk overnight, the next day prepare it however you want, personally I would blacken it, I've only eaten blacktip and haven't bothered to try any of the other species

Is it legal to cut the catch on the surf (other than baitfish)? I guess I gotta read the regulations again. I know that some states won't allow you because they need to be able to tell what species it is and how long it is if a game warden has questions about what's in the cooler.

3 mins ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Is it legal to cut the catch on the surf (other than baitfish)? I guess I gotta read the regulations again. I know that some states won't allow you because they need to be able to tell what species it is and how long it is if a game warden has questions about what's in the cooler.

In Florida...absolutely, be sure to have your land based shark fishing permit from FWC and know your species and regulations, if you don't know what species you caught then release it

5 mins ago, AJR said:

In Florida...absolutely, be sure to have your land based shark fishing permit from FWC and know your species and regulations, if you don't know what species you caught then release it

Just nurse shark and lemon sharks for now, and yea, I will be getting a permit. I actually don't like to target rays and sharks, but it's hard to avoid them when using live bait.

Blacktip is quite good with lemon, salt and pepper too.  I immediately brain it, fin it, and gut it.  Pretty easy to cut steaks.

Yes, Skate Wing is really pretty good. I make a Skate Wing Schnitzel with Lemons, Butter, Capers, Dijon Mustard Parsley/Chives/Tarragon & fresh Breadcrumbs (& eggs/flour), served with Lemon Wedges. Very nice firmness to a Skate Wing  and very impressive on a plate. Flesh wise it's kind of like Sole, it's a thin fillet that responds well to breading. 

5f273508b4199_Screenshot2020-08-02at5_49_39PM.png.326472f3f928320a2a4876a0365bfdbb.png

Chef Pepin will do a Ray Meuniere with Mushrooms which I don't favor as much as the above Schnitzel recipe. The crispy Schnitzel is killer & if I put the Schnitzel down next to pack of hungry land lubbers, they're going to destroy it. Also serve this with some German Spaetzle & watch people faint. Be sure to have plenty of homemade gravy. 

If you're not sure what the heck to do with a Skate or you've never filleted a Skate's Wings before, it takes about 1 minute per wing but I've seen it done in 30 seconds. Here's a bad ass doing the job lickety-split. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2016/06/28/if-skate-wing-is-so-cheap-and-plentiful-and-popular-why-arent-we-eating-more-of-it/

As far as Shark goes, Mako is probably the best. Any recipe you use Swordfish with, you can substitute Mako & no one would know. Boohooohahaha. 

Now, as far as how good other sharks are for eating, Black Tip sharks are pretty good in a Trinidadian pocket sandwich known as a Shark & Bake. A pile of Mango Chutney & some sliced cucumbers accompany such a creation. "Bake" is a catchall term for several types of bread, grilled or fried.

Pita pockets are a stand-in for the flatbread that's typically used to make the sandwich.Shark and bake," is found at beach shacks and street stalls in Trinidad.  If you want to try this recipe, here's what you will need to pull it off:

Black Tip Fillets (you can use Thresher as a substitute)

Plenty of Lime Juice

1/4 Cup Chopped Scallions

6 Garlic Cloves Minced

Nice Pile of Chopped Fresh Thyme Leaves

3 or 4 Scotch Bonnet Peppers (don't be shy now)

ANY flour you like except boring ass white flour. C'mon boyz, this is a wild game recipe. Get the cool flours - I use Rye or Oat & I sprinke in ground Flax Seeds. Why, I dunno. Digestive purposes I suppose. 

Pita Bread

Chopped Red Leaf Lettuce

Fresh Tomater Slices

As many assorted condiments as you can think of. I use flights of bad ass hot sauces. Melinda's Habanero Mango goes well with the Bonnets. But you can get creative here. Throw some Mango Chutney & some sliced Cucumbers & fresh sliced Tomatoes into the sandwich also. The whole goal is to go right over the top with this one. 

5f27345a7b403_Screenshot2020-08-02at5_46_39PM.png.cfdb1c934213c26c8af6d7dcf3673e01.png

Wow that looks damn good. I think Blacktip would be easiest to harvest since there’s no size limit. I am usually a salt, pepper, and butter guy when it comes to cooking fish, but those recipes are making me try fancier dishes!

Last winter in Naples  I harvested Black tip and blacknoise and these were pups about 3’long. Very good eating salt and pepper with olive oil on the grill. No fish taste and texture of pork. Bleed them out and remove guts and pack with ice!! I soaked first one over night in milk and second one did not. Both taste the to the family ,again mine were little ones. Cut the blood line out and any other blood colored meat one shark will feed a army.

23 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

Yes, Skate Wing is really pretty good. I make a Skate Wing Schnitzel with Lemons, Butter, Capers, Dijon Mustard Parsley/Chives/Tarragon & fresh Breadcrumbs (& eggs/flour), served with Lemon Wedges. Very nice firmness to a Skate Wing  and very impressive on a plate. Flesh wise it's kind of like Sole, it's a thin fillet that responds well to breading. 

5f273508b4199_Screenshot2020-08-02at5_49_39PM.png.326472f3f928320a2a4876a0365bfdbb.png

Chef Pepin will do a Ray Meuniere with Mushrooms which I don't favor as much as the above Schnitzel recipe. The crispy Schnitzel is killer & if I put the Schnitzel down next to pack of hungry land lubbers, they're going to destroy it. Also serve this with some German Spaetzle & watch people faint. Be sure to have plenty of homemade gravy. 

If you're not sure what the heck to do with a Skate or you've never filleted a Skate's Wings before, it takes about 1 minute per wing but I've seen it done in 30 seconds. Here's a bad ass doing the job lickety-split. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2016/06/28/if-skate-wing-is-so-cheap-and-plentiful-and-popular-why-arent-we-eating-more-of-it/

As far as Shark goes, Mako is probably the best. Any recipe you use Swordfish with, you can substitute Mako & no one would know. Boohooohahaha. 

Now, as far as how good other sharks are for eating, Black Tip sharks are pretty good in a Trinidadian pocket sandwich known as a Shark & Bake. A pile of Mango Chutney & some sliced cucumbers accompany such a creation. "Bake" is a catchall term for several types of bread, grilled or fried.

Pita pockets are a stand-in for the flatbread that's typically used to make the sandwich.Shark and bake," is found at beach shacks and street stalls in Trinidad.  If you want to try this recipe, here's what you will need to pull it off:

Black Tip Fillets (you can use Thresher as a substitute)

Plenty of Lime Juice

1/4 Cup Chopped Scallions

6 Garlic Cloves Minced

Nice Pile of Chopped Fresh Thyme Leaves

3 or 4 Scotch Bonnet Peppers (don't be shy now)

ANY flour you like except boring ass white flour. C'mon boyz, this is a wild game recipe. Get the cool flours - I use Rye or Oat & I sprinke in ground Flax Seeds. Why, I dunno. Digestive purposes I suppose. 

Pita Bread

Chopped Red Leaf Lettuce

Fresh Tomater Slices

As many assorted condiments as you can think of. I use flights of bad ass hot sauces. Melinda's Habanero Mango goes well with the Bonnets. But you can get creative here. Throw some Mango Chutney & some sliced Cucumbers & fresh sliced Tomatoes into the sandwich also. The whole goal is to go right over the top with this one. 

5f27345a7b403_Screenshot2020-08-02at5_46_39PM.png.cfdb1c934213c26c8af6d7dcf3673e01.png

That’s going in the recipe book ! Now just need some skate!! Thanks for sharing 

I can’t remember how many times over the last 3 years I thought I had a monster fluke and pulled up a skate. Time to start eatin the bastids! 

On 8/2/2020 at 6:43 PM, hobbyisterisis said:

Wow that looks damn good. I think Blacktip would be easiest to harvest since there’s no size limit. I am usually a salt, pepper, and butter guy when it comes to cooking fish, but those recipes are making me try fancier dishes!

Pandora's box has been opened! I hope you like them when you end up trying them! I like how you use the word harvest also. I've been saying that my whole life, be it hunting or fishing related. Very accurate terminology!

15 hours ago, Clbay1971 said:

That’s going in the recipe book ! Now just need some skate!! Thanks for sharing 

Absolutely! Hope you enjoy. I neglected to mention that the Skate Wing Schnitzel pairs up very nicely with  German Beers. (as if we need a reason to drink a beer). 

Also, very minor point. The bad ass in the video is using a Chef Knife and it looks like he's in a high volume situation so he's obviously learned to handle a cut of fish properly. Pretty sure he could do it with a butter knife. That said...

I use a Dexter Russel 9" Teflon coated Breaking Knife for Skate Wings. It's slightly thinner and it has a little curve to it. It's not as precise as a Fillet knife but it's better than a kitchen knife for doing the fillets & the Teflon helps it glide while at the same time the thinner Breaking Knife gives you a smoother, less jagged cut & provides better overall feel so you know where the blade is during the fillet process. Another advantage is the no slip handle. Not to mention, the Breaking Knife can also hack down through the back end of the fillet easily & with more feel. 

Once you use a Breaking Knife in an all-purpose application like working a Skate Wing, you will develop a skowl on your face if you have to use a Chef's Knife. 

A Chef's Knife he has a very thick backbone and so there will be almost no flex. If you've ever looked at a Fillet Knife, there is no backbone. Breaking Knives don't have backbones either. Therefore, like the Fillet Knife, the Breaking Knife provide some flex as you apply pressure during the fillet process. That flex allows you to trace a fish's backbone & if you make a smooth continuous cut you'll get a very good looking filet with no jagged spots. 

Uneven fillets are caused when you have to stop because you lost the feel of where the knife was. The bad ass in the video is moving very quickly but if you notice he actually loses feel and he's not able to do one nice continuous cut he has to stop momentarily and restart. 

When you are removing skin or reversing your cut like you do with a Skate Wing when you fillet it, You are coming back across the boneless flesh of the fish which you've already removed with your first cut.

A thinner more flexible blade here allows you to feel the flesh & prevents you from cutting down into it (which would make your filet thinner). 

I have eaten black tip, the shark was a 54" adult. We had it grilled and blackened, that is a cajun style seasoning. It was good. 

I tried two species of rays, an Atlantic and a cownose, both were not so good, but it could have been my method since it was the first time I cooked them. My honest opinion would be awful.