gonfishin

Oak Beach Public Access restricted

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

The Town of Babylon restricted  public access to the Oak Beach fishing pier, jetty, and Kayak launch by locking the gates & closing off the parking lot  last  Sunday 7/26/20 to the public. They claimed the residents of Oak Beach complained about the public gathering of classic cars & motorcycles that occurs in the parking lot on Sundays .  I arrived at 6:45 and the gates were locked. No fishing, no way to launch a Kayak . I called the town  and was told the parking lot will be closed on Sundays due to the classic car gatherings, but it would open during the week. So if fisherman or park goers , who have only sunday to do it, want to spend time and have free water access at Oak Beach they can't . The town will not return  phone calls. Please stand up for our right of public access to our waterways & state property. I believe there is an agreement between NYS and the TOB that allows public access to this area. 

It was crazy people just parking on the grass hopping over the ocean parkway. I drove down to Long Beach over the big loop I could not believe it. 200 cars on the side 3 deep on low tide people on the beach the bridge looked like a parking lot. Why even close any beach down they are causing havoc. 

Nothing has changed,  it has gone on for years... the car guys show up early and are gone by 10 or 11 am. But to restrict overall public access, for an entire day ,  to an area that we rightfully have access  to,  because of an opinion of  a certain group is awful civic policy. If there are to many cars coming in  over-exceeding capacity of the lot , then the town should manage it ....like other beach parking lots. Poor policy and management at this point. I feel the Loop parkway is a seperate issue. 

Just like littering, noise pollution can close access, even to folks who do nothing wrong.

Folks who would like to enjoy a peaceful Sunday morning, maybe sleep in a little late, could understandably be upset if blatting motorcycles and inadequately muffled "classic" cars shatter the peace early in the day.  A little concern for the other guy goes a long way.

Maybe it's time for a new bumper sticker "Loud pipes close beaches."

The town's action is unfortunate, and hurts innocent folks, but it's understandable.  If the cars and motorcycles had been thoughtful enough to congregate away from residences, where their noise wouldn't bother anyone--say the far end of the Captree lot--there wouldn't have been a problem.

Frankly, the NIMBYS (NOT IN MY BACKYARD) drove out the OBI 'noise cause when you bought your home there you didn't realize the bar was there' just like people in towns adjacent to airports complaining about noise.

The car guys are enthusiasts who go either to OBI when they charge at Robert Moses or at Robert Moses when they do not.  They are gone early morning.

Ridiculous over reaction by town 

3 mins ago, bestoftwo said:

Frankly, the NIMBYS (NOT IN MY BACKYARD) drove out the OBI 'noise cause when you bought your home there you didn't realize the bar was there' just like people in towns adjacent to airports complaining about noise.

The car guys are enthusiasts who go either to OBI when they charge at Robert Moses or at Robert Moses when they do not.  They are gone early morning.

Ridiculous over reaction by town 

There's a place for everything, and concentrated, inadeqjuately muffled engine noise doesn't belong in anyone's backyard, particularly on a Sunday morning, which is traditionally the most quiet time of the week.  Maybe they are gone by early moring, but that means that they arrived even earler that morning, bringing their noise with them, which is precisely the problem.

People should have had enough consideration for others that they don't inflict in on them in the first place.

Yes, they would have to pay at Robert Moses, but so what?  We pay to fish there, other people pay to go to the beach.  Not sure why these folks should be any different.

I've never understood why people believe that they should be able to do whatever they want, no matter how it might disturb others, with impunity.  The same folks who complain that boats get too close to surfcasters and make it hard for the shorebound to fish, or complain when they get mugged during a bite, ought to understand why the noise from vehicles was also a problem here.  It's all about treating other folks with a modicum of consideration.

Posted (edited) · Report post

As an Oak Beach resident, I think the Sunday morning car shows are terrific! The loud motorcycles' growling, less so. Concerns from residents under normal circumstances, beyond Sunday morning noise, was about access - do you realize that people were unable to get TO their homes or OUT of the community to go to church or work? The lack of an organized traffic solution was really the problem. More power to classic car show guys, bring'm back.

The current situation is a Covid-connected issue - lack of social distancing and lack of masking up. Last weekend visitors crowded the permitted parking area and once again blocked Oak Beach Road, blocking residents in (and out). People do live there - what if someone needed to go to the ER? Last weekend residents were threatened for trying to drive around folks looking for parking. There are other issues during this stressful period - perhaps Covid-stress-related, that include fist and knife fights in the park, drug dealing, car sex, and let's not even discuss the mind boggling littering. If you love the beach, bring your trash home with you. The amount of trash dumped on the roadside in Oak Beach on a given weekend is staggering - I know, I pick it up. 

Edited by O.B.N.
typo!

7 hours ago, CWitek said:

There's a place for everything, and concentrated, inadeqjuately muffled engine noise doesn't belong in anyone's backyard, particularly on a Sunday morning, which is traditionally the most quiet time of the week.  Maybe they are gone by early moring, but that means that they arrived even earler that morning, bringing their noise with them, which is precisely the problem.

People should have had enough consideration for others that they don't inflict in on them in the first place.

Yes, they would have to pay at Robert Moses, but so what?  We pay to fish there, other people pay to go to the beach.  Not sure why these folks should be any different.

I've never understood why people believe that they should be able to do whatever they want, no matter how it might disturb others, with impunity.  The same folks who complain that boats get too close to surfcasters and make it hard for the shorebound to fish, or complain when they get mugged during a bite, ought to understand why the noise from vehicles was also a problem here.  It's all about treating other folks with a modicum of consideration.

I've never understood why people think they can restrict public access because they disagree with a particular user group.

If you don't like things that happen at the beach, move out to the sticks and stop complaining.

While I feel sorry for oak beach residence to have to deal with this non sense every sunday morning,  I don't agree with the town's decision to close down the lot for everybody. If the car guys is the problem, deal with the car guys and show organizers, set ground rules, permits, stiff fine, etc. 

Eh, I don't blame the residents for complaining even a little. I couldn't think of much worse than having to deal with the classic car/motorcycle crowd every Sunday morning. Hopefully a compromise can be reached where those respecting the community can have access, while still allowing them some peace.

Edited by C.Robin

All great points . I found out today that the restriction will now be in place on SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. For me, its about management of town property , or lack of desire to manage it intelligently. The residents have rights as property owners and should be respected and heard.... and although resources are stretched at this point for all municipalities, the TOB should  figure it out so people  can enjoy the waterfront and have water access. To close this for the entire weekend is obsurd.

It needs to be managed correctly , and  the town needs to do it.

Edited by gonfishin
typo

They close that lot everyone is going to park on the grass on the outside. They did last week.  The town is going to cause someone’s injury. These are tough times why make it harder for people. 

Don’t forget illegal fireworks from the Park over Oak Beach on July 4th! A town of wood frame homes a half hour from a fire department! 
Dare we wonder where the “park” goers relive themselves? No civilized facilities, nice remnants for residents. Shall we ‘sample’ the remains and sequence the genomes for proper shaming? How about fines?

Edited by O.B.N.