gellfex

Friday afternoon Sound porgy trip from the Bronx if anyone wants to join

19 posts in this topic

Gellflex, I am always interested in fishing new places with new people.... as long as my schedule permits. That has been my issue for the most part... conflicts.

6 hours ago, Africaster said:

PSA - Did a Porgy harvesting trip in the Sound yesterday ... typically I use fresh squid from the market, but for this trip I picked up a dozen prawns as well as an experiment ... 4 to 1 in favor of the prawns was the result :hooked: ... good luck out there

I can't imagine it stays on as well as squid does. Have you tried Asian crabs?  I think I recall an EliasV video where he was taking porgy on live crabs.

What I've been doing is buying a huge squid at the Asian market near me and breaking it up into four or five ziplocs for the freezer. One quarter pound bag of squid easily does a trip for me, and those big squid with thick body walls really stay on the hook well. But this system doesn't work well for having it fresh not frozen. I also find that a small bucktail tipped with squid gets bigger ones than the simple hi-lo.

What was really strange on Friday was that I could be getting a decent pickup on bucktail fan casting around myself at anchor, while a hi-lo with the same squid would sit right under me untouched.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Gellflex, I am always interested in fishing new places with new people.... as long as my schedule permits. That has been my issue for the most part... conflicts.

Schedules, wind, tide...there's so many variables that it's much of the reason why I've tended to fish alone on a last-minute plan.  But I'm lucky to be self-employed and can take off on weekdays.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:14 PM, gellfex said:

I can't imagine it stays on as well as squid does. Have you tried Asian crabs?  I think I recall an EliasV video where he was taking porgy on live crabs.

Asian crabs do work. I've noticed the porgies eat them a lot more the closer you get to tog season. Try it in late August and September.