gellfex

Friday afternoon Sound porgy trip from the Bronx if anyone wants to join

58 posts in this topic

Hope springs eternal, and I'd like to lay in some porgy fillets and smoke some.  I like to get there like 11-12 and leave like 7pm so it's not so bad getting back over the GWB. At this point weather looks good, low wind and mostly clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

Wow very nice gesture

There used to be way more of it on this forum, I'm not sure why it's gone away.  Probably all gone to private email lists or Facebook or such.

 

Didn't limit porgy like I'd hoped, but a solid bag, none less than 12", plus a 19" fluke. I swear I caught more short fluke than I did total porgies!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gellfex said:

Probably all gone to private email lists or Facebook or such.

 

PMs are active on this forum. You can even create group chats via PM, once you find a bunch of like-minded members. Probably the best way to organize an outing w/o alerting the lurkers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sometimes the quoting system screws up unrecoverably where you can't add your own comment!

Edited by gellfex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

 

PMs are active on this forum. You can even create group chats via PM, once you find a bunch of like-minded members. Probably the best way to organize an outing w/o alerting the lurkers. 

How does one find the 'bunch of like-minded members' if there are never open invites? And the argument that you can spot burn a kayak launch because of limited parking does not apply in this case, just as it does not at Jamaica Bay. So: unlimited parking, unlimited areas to fish, bring on these feared lurkers.

 

5 hours ago, cheech said:

I fished the 7-11:30 am shift in da Bronx yesterday. NYC parks got my $8, I got micro bass :scared:

I trolled up one of those!

Edited by gellfex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, gellfex said:

How does one find the 'bunch of like-minded members' if there are never open invites? And the argument that you can spot burn a kayak launch because of limited parking does not apply in this case, just as it does not at Jamaica Bay. So: unlimited parking, unlimited areas to fish, bring on these feared lurkers.

 

You open invited on this thread, there are 2 interested parties, that's a start. Keep in mind there are people who would otherwise reach out based on someone's post history, but won't bc of that person's tendency to "share" on the public forum. In my experience, those are the people who take fishing a little more seriously, who generally have more relevant knowledge to share, and therefore more valuable brains to pick. But, there are plenty of people who don't care about spot/launch burning, and would gladly join you. To each their own.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gellfex said:

There used to be way more of it on this forum, I'm not sure why it's gone away.  Probably all gone to private email lists or Facebook or such.

 

Didn't limit porgy like I'd hoped, but a solid bag, none less than 12", plus a 19" fluke. I swear I caught more short fluke than I did total porgies!  

Sounds like a good trip. Keeper fluke is a nice bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 0:10 PM, csteven said:

Sounds like a good trip. Keeper fluke is a nice bonus.

Yup, it was a surprise. But I've never seen so many fluke in the sound. I was deadsticking a hi-lo with squid while pitching a 1/2oz bucktail with a porgy size hook, and I'd get shorty fluke on both. Bodes well for future seasons. It was hard not to switch to a fluke setup, but I can target fluke close to home but not porgy.

 

Got >5# of fillets for the freezer, need to go back to get some for the smoker.  I didn't smoke any blues this spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PSA - Did a Porgy harvesting trip in the Sound yesterday ... typically I use fresh squid from the market, but for this trip I picked up a dozen prawns as well as an experiment ... 4 to 1 in favor of the prawns was the result :hooked: ... good luck out there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Africaster said:

PSA - Did a Porgy harvesting trip in the Sound yesterday ... typically I use fresh squid from the market, but for this trip I picked up a dozen prawns as well as an experiment ... 4 to 1 in favor of the prawns was the result :hooked: ... good luck out there

 

Prawns for porgy...what's next, lobster for tog? :laugh: (I tried, it doesn't work nearly as well as crabs!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 mins ago, buddha162 said:

 

Prawns for porgy...what's next, lobster for tog? :laugh: (I tried, it doesn't work nearly as well as crabs!)

:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.