dan_d

2020 best low profile saltwater baitcaster

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I currently own a Tranx200 and have been in the market for a 300/400 size Tranx or Lexa for awhile now too. From what I've read is the Tranx casts a bit better and is a little smalle/lighter. The Tranx 400 is the same size as the 300 just a little wider to accommodate the wider spool. They even have the same drag rating in respect to their gear ratios. If size, castability, and weight are a concern, the Tranx seems to be the best choice. Judging by the pictures posted above, the Lexa looks like the beefy option.

6 mins ago, jk20a3 said:

Is that top gear a Lexa or the Komodo?

Komodo, but at the time I also had a Lexa 400HD taken apart. The Lexa 400HD and Komodo 400's have nearly identical gear sizes. Komodo was maybe .5mm bigger

56 mins ago, zachb34 said:

I currently own a Tranx200 and have been in the market for a 300/400 size Tranx or Lexa for awhile now too. From what I've read is the Tranx casts a bit better and is a little smalle/lighter. The Tranx 400 is the same size as the 300 just a little wider to accommodate the wider spool. They even have the same drag rating in respect to their gear ratios. If size, castability, and weight are a concern, the Tranx seems to be the best choice. Judging by the pictures posted above, the Lexa looks like the beefy option.

That is a Komodo 471SS main gear.

Don't forget about the Daiwa Coastal as well.

I made a similar topic the other day and decided to just buy a new abu 5501 c3. It's a round reel not low pro but it's super easy to open up and clean, casts a mile, and easily replaceable parts. Bait casters can't be sealed from the salt and when you fish the ocean the water will wick up the line and get the reel wet no matter what you do. You do need to clean the inside regularly and re-oil/grease to keep it working well. Low pros are a bit trickier and timely to open and clean. Good luck! 

3 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Was @scoobydoovideo the current or old Lexa?

That was the old HD..haven't touched the new 3 and 400

The internals of the new 300 HD are visible on a YouTube video posted a few weeks ago by “Pesca JFI”  ... it is narrated in Spanish, but points out various changes, inside and out.  

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 11:19 AM, SSPey said:

I’m no expert, but you might be misinterpreting it.  The Lexa spool is supported by bearings on both sides. Check out the video “Daiwa Lexa 300 Bearing Change” to see it clearly. The Lexa lacks a third spool bearing, past the pinion, under the tensioner knob, and it isn’t clear that matters anyway.  The basic Lexa design has been around since 2012, so it is either outdated or proven, depending on your point of view.  

we both know old is not less,it is better in tis case.

the 400HD is a solid design and anyone who says no is not all there.

they work and do what they are supposed to do.

HH

1 hour ago, dan_d said:

so again...between the lexa hd/tranx/okuma...which makes the best offering in the size 400  reel.

It depends on what you want most out of your reel.

Objectively...

Refinement, easiest to disassemble (I whole heartedly concure with scoob on this), I love the way Shimano dropped the belvile washers from the drag, sleekest looking, tiny main gear with tiny teeth, lowest line capacity, lacks the stainless steel of its rivals for $100 more in cost, go Tranx.

Toughest (stainless steel from crank shaft to spool shaft), greatest line capacity (300yds of 65lb Sufix 832), tie for biggest main gear, non-disengaging levelwind, and 30 pounds of legit drag (tested mine out to 35lbs without failure), baitclicker, the ugly ugly duckling hands down, geariness out of the box till you put some serious time on the reel, go Komodo.

Caster Friendly with the mag brakes (huge bonus it you are throwing lures only), the reel basically sits between the Tranx for refinement and the Komodo for size and balls, go Lexa.

Subjectively...

I have said in the past if all I was doing was casting lures, the Lexa 400HD all the way just because of the mag brakes. Also note that there are no faults I could really think of for the reel. 

When you would rather piss and crap all over the concept of "finesse", there is only "Komodo 471SS". I am a multi-species and multi-technique angler in fw and sw, the Komodo 471SS just makes the most utilitarian sense for the money, it is a powerful conventional reel in a baitcaster covering.

If I wanted to spend the extra money to look sexy I would get the Tranx 400 because yeah it is a sexy looking reel. It just does not have much in the practical sense that outclasses the other two, especially for what you pay.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

37D58C37-7C5B-452F-B106-E087D924F7C5.jpeg.4009cf9130bd2a202ed53edb2372f8d8.jpeg Here is a closeup photo of the new model 300 HD bushing below the tension knob. It seems Daiwa decreased the bushing ID to close the gap towards the spool shaft, just shy of constant contact.

————

They all have fans and you’ll never get a definitive answer

5 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

It depends on what you want most out of your reel.

This.  

For me the “best” 300 was little things, process of elimination.  I like a gradual drag adjustment and distrust seals, which disqualified the Tranx.  The Komodo has a specific ergonomic issue in my hands that disqualified it.  Lexa was the last reel standing.  Try to hold them in your hands if possible.