dan_d

2020 best low profile saltwater baitcaster

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Fellow SOL'ers it's the year 2020....what is the best low profile baitcaster for heavy saltwater use....I will fish the jetty/bridges/open surf....everything will need powerful drag and the ability to cast

to the moon...thinking tranx 400...I watched scooby's reviews(aka tackle advisor) and wondering if anyone can provide any advice(including scooby) ...my current baitcaster just isn't cutting it...big fish are so tough to land I have

had to literally winch them in....need a more powerful reel...but needs to be light I figured this paired with my Dobyns would be the ideal match up.

Funny you posted this was about to make a similar topic. I’m torn between the Tranx 400 and Lexa HD 400. Also gear ratio...

so tricky. I called a tackle shop and they are like the diawa  has stainless gears....but then I seen scooby's vid on the comparision and in it he talks about spool support being

only on 1 side on the lexa..that is a deal breaker for me...I do not want/need a reel failure as I'm targeting big fish...and in some cases hauling fish up 10+ feet up and out of the water.

Another option although not released yet is the up coming fathom. So I need to make sure I select the right reel..the other side of my brain says f...it buy a van staal and be done with it.

fishing is tricky.

My TranX 300 has been my go-to baitcaster ever since it came out. I use it on bridges and jetties... Haven't tried it in the surf yet. I got sand in it at a jetty and it went inside the reel. I had to send it in for service... Since then, I've been careful with it around sand. I just started trying out 13 Fishing Concept Z3 along with the TranX.

1 hour ago, dan_d said:

how is the power? casting distance? I never fished/used a 13 fishing product any thoughts on that vs the tranx 300.

I don’t think I can say yay or nay yet. I took it to a jetty and lost lures with it due to compromised Power Pro braid line just recently. I just re-spooled it and prob have to use it for a month before I can formulate an opinion. I can cast as far as I could with the TranX I think and it has more braking power and supposedly will not rust anywhere.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, dan_d said:

so tricky. I called a tackle shop and they are like the diawa  has stainless gears....but then I seen scooby's vid on the comparision and in it he talks about spool support being

only on 1 side on the lexa..that is a deal breaker for me...I do not want/need a reel failure as I'm targeting big fish...and in some cases hauling fish up 10+ feet up and out of the water.

Another option although not released yet is the up coming fathom. So I need to make sure I select the right reel..the other side of my brain says f...it buy a van staal and be done with it.

fishing is tricky.

Your strongest low pro is going to be the Komodo 471SS or 463SS.

Yes the Lexa HD has a stainless steel main gear, but the Komodo has a stainless steel drive shaft, main gear, pinion gear, and spool shaft. It has the internal build of a conventional reel in a low profile body design.

The only low pro with more line capacity then the big Komodos is the Tranx 500.

I don't know much about the new Lexa 400's, but the previous generation of 400 sized Lexas and the Komodo 400's have the biggest main gears on the market. You can literally fit tge main gear of a Tranx 400 inside the main gear drag disk housing of a Lexa or Komodo 400 main gear.

20180207_140723.jpg.8bfa03bfac5b5d2e7d2b799b583ee2a4.jpg

Edited by Beastly Backlash

How does the sealing in the tranx, komodo, and lexa compare to one another? Also the quantum accurist seems to be another favorite saltwater low profile baitcaster but I don't think it has nearly as much capacity or drag, but it is only about $100. 

13 hours ago, dan_d said:

then I seen scooby's vid on the comparision and in it he talks about spool support being only on 1 side on the lexa..that is a deal breaker for me...

I’m no expert, but you might be misinterpreting it.  The Lexa spool is supported by bearings on both sides. Check out the video “Daiwa Lexa 300 Bearing Change” to see it clearly. The Lexa lacks a third spool bearing, past the pinion, under the tensioner knob, and it isn’t clear that matters anyway.  The basic Lexa design has been around since 2012, so it is either outdated or proven, depending on your point of view.  

2 hours ago, yakscientist said:

How does the sealing in the tranx, komodo, and lexa compare to one another? Also the quantum accurist seems to be another favorite saltwater low profile baitcaster but I don't think it has nearly as much capacity or drag, but it is only about $100. 

There is no true sealing in any of the reels.

You can't dunk them in SW.

4 hours ago, yakscientist said:

The Accurist is made for freshwater bass fishing and not comparable to the Tranx/Lexa/Komodo, given the op's intended use.