Mark L

Old rods need some help

13 posts in this topic

I was recently given two old rods from a friend who doesn’t fish. Both seem to be glass rods from years past, the Major rod is brown and the other is gray which I didn’t know they made glass rods in gray. The gray one has no label. Brown is 8’6” and the gray one a bit longer.  Both seem to have been built by the same builder. The brown is one piece and the other is two piece. Any info would be great thanks.8D38129F-6B5C-4F77-83B4-6768FD5C1A40.jpeg.cbaf7531f1ca46181e49593324297ae0.jpegDCA9589F-CFC5-4CEC-A589-38F79FBD7189.jpeg.6a8814b427ae9360c7cea7d75af888e2.jpeg2D103F25-911B-4219-BD84-F6FF2307C042.jpeg.616179c53ae4cb8d50fdfcc9298db1de.jpeg5BE76A07-222B-4446-B597-684245A07A76.jpeg.b1dec9df968213e9bdea7384aa477249.jpeg

Might be "old news" to you, but the gray one is a boat/trolling rod, probably solid glass, most likely intended for 20 or 30 pound test line.

On some (but not all) of those with wood butts, the butt was ferreled and separated from the reel seat, making it easier to fit/transport in a car.

I don't know diddly about the brown one. Did it come with that pretty Penn spinning reel?

A nice friend you have. :)

Haha one of them came with a penn 704 greenie with silver side plate. Good call!  Thanks for the info on the gray rod didn’t know it was a trolling rod. That was great info I’ll have to check out the wooden grip. Thanks again. 

H&I, Horricks Ibbottson put out lots of trade rods and reels way back in the day. From the ***********n (ORCA) website.

HORROCKS & IBBOTTSON CO.

HORROCKS & IBBOTTSON Co. (Utica, NY) was a manufacturer,  well known for buying out other reel makers to expand their business. For example, in 1910, the purchased Yawman & Erbe rights to the automatic fly reel business. Known for the “HI” label,  the company was first recognized for its prolific rod making. The company actually began as the George A Clark Company in 1880, then Clark & Horrocks in 1891. They didn’t add the fishing tackle line, however, until 1863. It wasn’t until 1909 that it became the official Horrocks-Ibbotson Company. They built their factory in Utica in 1905.

1 hour ago, Cuttyhunker said:

H&I, Horricks Ibbottson put out lots of trade rods and reels way back in the day. From the ***********n (ORCA) website.

HORROCKS & IBBOTTSON CO.

HORROCKS & IBBOTTSON Co. (Utica, NY) was a manufacturer,  well known for buying out other reel makers to expand their business. For example, in 1910, the purchased Yawman & Erbe rights to the automatic fly reel business. Known for the “HI” label,  the company was first recognized for its prolific rod making. The company actually began as the George A Clark Company in 1880, then Clark & Horrocks in 1891. They didn’t add the fishing tackle line, however, until 1863. It wasn’t until 1909 that it became the official Horrocks-Ibbotson Company. They built their factory in Utica in 1905.

Cutty thanks for the info, hard to find info on old rods as far as I’m concerned. Anyone know anything about the Major rod I’m coming up with zero on the internet. 

Not saying you have an H&I, the wood butt, wood foregrip, and an all metal seat to tie it all together was the common design from pre war to the 70's. Bazillions were produced from hi to low end.  I still fish a few trollers with that layout, good rods even today, I usually install a gimble tip in lieu of the rubber base on the butt for my keepers.  Never heard of Major, probably a trade rod for a mass marketer like the JC Higgins brand was for Sears, I just don't know for sure on that one.