Joeny718

Surf rod around the $200 range?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

I was a huge fan of the 8’8 AWE when I got it. The thing cast sp’s and similars well. Small tins went a mile. Then I got the Suzuki, and I think that rod is just more of a pleasure to cast similar offerings. 

12 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

How much difference do you see between the 8’8 and the 9’6? I really want the elite but I also wanted a 9’ rod. Not sure which to get. Wish tsunami made it in 9.

For me, 9'6" is the perfect size for beach/inlet fishing. The extra 6" gets you more casting distance and reach to steer fish around obstacles and it fits in my car!

I have both the 8'8" and the 9'6". As I've said I love the 9'6" but for some reason, I don't like the 8'8". It's range seems very narrow to me. Because it's shorter, it doesn't load up on lighter plugs the way I would expect and loads up too much on heavier plugs. I throw 1/2 - 3oz on the 9'6". The 8'8" is a bit faster than the 9'6" but doesn't have the backbone to fight fish in current which is where I primarily fish. The 9"6" is still fun on schoolies but has the power to bring in bigger fish...

IMG_2245.JPEG

On 7/28/2020 at 10:48 PM, joe0306 said:

Keep in mind the warranties, that's why I chose St. Croix over Tsunami. 

Tsunami has a sick warranty nothing stated but they mostly just say send the rod back with 15 dollars and we’ll send you a new one

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, beerdoh said:

For me, 9'6" is the perfect size for beach/inlet fishing. The extra 6" gets you more casting distance and reach to steer fish around obstacles and it fits in my car!

I have both the 8'8" and the 9'6". As I've said I love the 9'6" but for some reason, I don't like the 8'8". It's range seems very narrow to me. Because it's shorter, it doesn't load up on lighter plugs the way I would expect and loads up too much on heavier plugs. I throw 1/2 - 3oz on the 9'6". The 8'8" is a bit faster than the 9'6" but doesn't have the backbone to fight fish in current which is where I primarily fish. The 9"6" is still fun on schoolies but has the power to bring in bigger fish...

IMG_2245.JPEG

Thanks. Yea I checked and the 8’8 only goes to 2oz so that’s out. Just wish it was a tad shorter. I already have a Prevail 10’. Wanted something easier to get in and out of the car. Nice fish btw.

Edited by Sevendust111