Joeny718

Surf rod around the $200 range?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, lureman said:

hey Gary, pleasure seeing up north, last week, i will be up again third week August......

See you then buddy, always a pleasure. :howdy:

13 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

So your saying the action of the rod is more moderate on the elite? Because I really like the feel of moderate fast action rods over fast.

Yes.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:26 AM, Ba Ba Buoy said:

I've mentioned this one many times but...

Star Rods Paraflex

Spinning 10'
2 pc. 70/30 split

12-25#

rating

1 1/2 -5 ounces Medium action  Lifetime warranty $199.95      

Yup great rod priced well.  I have the 10’6”.  

57 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

So straight mod or mod fast? My tica surge and penn prevail are mod fast.

I would say mod fast.

I have a Suzuki 9'6" and am happy with it. I'd say it would handle quite a bit over it's advertised range if you don't go nuts with it. The Suzuki is a 50/50 split, which I needed for portability, the Tsunami is 70/30 IIRC, if you're into that.

I’ve owned a tsunami airwave elite 11 ft 1-4 for three years and I’m a fan. I beat the crap out of it for three years and it finally broke recently. For the price you can’t beat it. It’s a bit soft but again it’s inexpensive and gets the job done. 

I know you will get many recommendations for the Airwave Elite, and it is a nice rod for sure. I am one of the few that never fell in love with it.  I have the popular 9’6” and I could never make a connection with it. To slow for me. I’ll be selling it soon.

As for my top pick, I would go for the 9’6” Tiralejo. It’s one of the most versatile rods I have ever used. The action is just about perfect. You can pick one of these up for close to $200.00 if you do a little searching. A close second place would be the Century Slingshot 1145. This rod will be above your price range, but I bet you can find a very nice condition used specimen in the BST. The Slingshot is also just about perfect, but it’s a tad faster than the Tiralejo. Good luck with the purchase.

I have the 8’8 airwave elite and the 9’6 Suzuki. Both are great rods but have very different action with the Suzuki definitely being faster. They both have a very strong backbone to fight bigger fish. Can’t go wrong with either. 

53 mins ago, SeaZen 21 said:

I have the 8’8 airwave elite and the 9’6 Suzuki. Both are great rods but have very different action with the Suzuki definitely being faster. They both have a very strong backbone to fight bigger fish. Can’t go wrong with either. 

How much difference do you see between the 8’8 and the 9’6? I really want the elite but I also wanted a 9’ rod. Not sure which to get. Wish tsunami made it in 9.