Joeny718

Surf rod around the $200 range?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, beerdoh said:

The BG is a great reel. Very smooth reeling and drag. Just don’t dunk it. They don’t tolerate immersion in salt water very well. 

Yea I have the 5000 on a 10’6 for bait. Handles heavy splashing well. Never dunked thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 8:26 AM, Ba Ba Buoy said:

 

I've mentioned this one many times but...

 

Star Rods Paraflex


 

Spinning 10'
2 pc. 70/30 split

12-25#

rating

1 1/2 -5 ounces Medium action  Lifetime warranty $199.95      

hey Gary, pleasure seeing up north, last week, i will be up again third week August......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BH, SUZUKI , 3/4-3 9'6", RETAIL $195, Strongest $200 rod made.....the rod will throw 3.5oz NP......Did i mention strongest $200 rod made.....lol....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, lureman said:

BH, SUZUKI , 3/4-3 9'6", RETAIL $195, Strongest $200 rod made.....the rod will throw 3.5oz NP......Did i mention strongest $200 rod made.....lol....

I agree- a great rod for the $$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joeny718 said:

So the big question issssss

 

Tsunami or Suzuki? 

Only you can decide. I played with the Suzuki at one of the shows last year and didn't like the action. I've had my AW Elite since 2017 and it has pulled dozens of large bass out of heavy inlet currents and off the beach. I use it to throw plugs up to 3 oz full force. I high stick it all the time when landing fish deep wading. I've fallen on it and broken guides, had them replaced then fell on it again and had them replaced again. It is more moderate but that works well for me and with a lite reel  I bought an ODM DNA 10' 1-4 oz last year (instead of the Suzuki) and I still reach for the AWE on most nights. Good luck choosing. You can't go wrong either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, beerdoh said:

Only you can decide. I played with the Suzuki at one of the shows last year and didn't like the action. I've had my AW Elite since 2017 and it has pulled dozens of large bass out of heavy inlet currents and off the beach. I use it to throw plugs up to 3 oz full force. I high stick it all the time when landing fish deep wading. I've fallen on it and broken guides, had them replaced then fell on it again and had them replaced again. It is more moderate but that works well for me and with a lite reel  I bought an ODM DNA 10' 1-4 oz last year (instead of the Suzuki) and I still reach for the AWE on most nights. Good luck choosing. You can't go wrong either way. 

So your saying the action of the rod is more moderate on the elite? Because I really like the feel of moderate fast action rods over fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 4:55 AM, Sevendust111 said:

Looked at the bg 3000 and 4000 at a tackle shop yesterday. The 3000 seems too small and the 4000 a little to big/heavy for all day plugging.

The 3500 has the same frame as the 4000 and is only a few tenths of an ounce lighter with less capacity because of the smaller spool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ksong

 

can these rods handle a 4-5oz sinker for bait fishing? Basically casting out and leaving the line out? I have had some issues in the past going to heavy and have the line break with others 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Throw a dart at the $200 price point their all the same! Buy the name and style in the length and weight that suites your fancy. Their are only a handful of companies set up overseas to pump these rods out and everyone uses them to build. Online stores are now using the same manufacturers to make their house brands. 

Edited by nfnDrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, Joeny718 said:

@ksong

 

can these rods handle a 4-5oz sinker for bait fishing? Basically casting out and leaving the line out? I have had some issues in the past going to heavy and have the line break with others 

I used 5 oz sinker with bait on the video of fighting drum with the 9'6" Suzuki rod.

See this video of casting 4.5 oz magic swimmer using lighter 10' Suzuki rod 

 

 

Edited by ksong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.