Joeny718

Surf rod around the $200 range?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

If you've got $200, that budget puts you above the airwave range and opens you up to an incredible rod. The Black Hole Suzuki Surf 9'6 would be absolutely perfect for what you need and is $202 on the dot I believe. @ksong can tell you more.

4 mins ago, Uriel918 said:

It’s above your price range but TFO GIS  life warranty on the rod too. 

Agreed. I have the 10'6" 2-6 rod, but it throws under an ounce great too. My brother has the 9' 1-4 (I think) and loves it as well.

Also, I have a st croix avid up for sale in the bst, it fits the bill as well.

I just purchased my second TFO gis I own the 9’ and it’s an amazing rod for the money. I purchased the 11 heavy for the canal it was throwing 4 oz jigs a mile. 

8 hours ago, jkorgood said:

. The Black Hole Suzuki Surf 9'6 would be absolutely perfect for what you need and is $202 on the dot I believe. @ksong can tell you more.

The lure rating of 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod is 1/2 oz - 3 oz.

The rods are currently out of stock, but new rods will arrive by 15 Aug.

The rods are originally designed for schoolie striper or albie, but bigger striper were caught using the rods as you see in the picture.

The retail price is $195.

suzuki96for28lbstriper.jpg

suzuki96pargo.jpg

suzuki965.jpg

suzuki967.jpg

suzuki968.jpg

10 hours ago, Water Dog said:

I have my 9’6” Airwave Elite paired with a Penn Slammer III 4500.  Love it.

Right. That why I was thinking the 3500 for the bg cuz they run big. Looked at the bg 3000 and 4000 at a tackle shop yesterday. The 3000 seems too small and the 4000 a little to big/heavy for all day plugging.

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, Joeny718 said:

Looking for a good surf rod around the $200 range.

something capable of throwing 3/4-4oz range.

thanks in advance 

I've mentioned this one many times but...

Star Rods Paraflex

Spinning 10'
2 pc. 70/30 split

12-25#

rating

1 1/2 -5 ounces Medium action  Lifetime warranty $199.95      
Edited by Ba Ba Buoy

1 hour ago, Sevendust111 said:

Right. That why I was thinking the 3500 for the bg cuz they run big. Looked at the bg 3000 and 4000 at a tackle shop yesterday. The 3000 seems too small and the 4000 a little to big/heavy for all day plugging.

I had a BG 4000 on my Airwave Elite and it paired pretty well. The 3500 is probably a better choice. I have a VR50 on mine now and it's perfect for almost every situation...

9 hours ago, beerdoh said:

I had a BG 4000 on my Airwave Elite and it paired pretty well. The 3500 is probably a better choice. I have a VR50 on mine now and it's perfect for almost every situation...

Thanks man. That is what I was thinking. Not ready for a 500$ reel just yet haha. 

I have an Rapala Magnum Baja Travel Rod that cost me under $200. It's 4 piece. I got the 9'6" one but the MG20SP116MH4 is 11'6" or there's a 13'6" version too. 3/4-4oz rated fast action. I really like my rod. The handle is awesome. It does end up needing readjusting the blank so the guides line up after a lot of repeated hard casting, but I don't mind.

13 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

Thanks man. That is what I was thinking. Not ready for a 500$ reel just yet haha. 

The BG is a great reel. Very smooth reeling and drag. Just don’t dunk it. They don’t tolerate immersion in salt water very well.