Joeny718

Surf rod around the $200 range?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Tsunami Airwave Elite. Check their website for the range that suits your needs. My go to rod is the 9'6" but it's not rated to 4oz. Handles every plug I throw outside of the canal. Awesome beach and inlet rod.

I owned a St. Croix triumph surf until last year when it was broken by a moving company. It was great for that range. $150 and an awesome warranty, can’t go wrong.

+2 on the Airwave Elite. I have 2 and love them. My 10'6 fishes from NJ to Montauk all the time and my 8'8 is my go-to albie and light tackle rod. The 9'6 would be a good all round rod. I've had my 10'6 for several years now and have caught many fish on it.

IMO there's no better rod for the money. They don't break as often as St. Croix Mojos, are better built with better components than Lamiglas Insane Rods, and have way nicer actions than Shimano Speedmasters. 

I haven't fished the new Lamiglas Carbon Surf, but it was probably built to contend w the Airwave Elite.

33 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

+2 on the Airwave Elite. I have 2 and love them. My 10'6 fishes from NJ to Montauk all the time and my 8'8 is my go-to albie and light tackle rod. The 9'6 would be a good all round rod. I've had my 10'6 for several years now and have caught many fish on it.

IMO there's no better rod for the money. They don't break as often as St. Croix Mojos, are better built with better components than Lamiglas Insane Rods, and have way nicer actions than Shimano Speedmasters. 

I haven't fished the new Lamiglas Carbon Surf, but it was probably built to contend w the Airwave Elite.

Carbon surf I was looking into as well.

if anyone can vouch for it please let me know as it’s a contender for sure

1 hour ago, beerdoh said:

Tsunami Airwave Elite. Check their website for the range that suits your needs. My go to rod is the 9'6" but it's not rated to 4oz. Handles every plug I throw outside of the canal. Awesome beach and inlet rod.

Second this. My 9'-6" is by far my favorite rod. Great action. Things an absolute rocket. I have a 9' mojo surf that I haven't used since I bought the AWE.  

2 hours ago, Reed422 said:

If I had 200 bucks I’d buy a used rod. I got a century slingshot earlier in the year for that price in good shape.

This. Buy a high end rod used. High end rods keep their crisp action year in and year out. Entry and midrange rods lose their crisp action eventually depending on how much you fish. 

I have owned the Tsunami Aiwave Elite 9’6, the Carbon Surf 9’, 10’, and the Mojo 9’ 1-4. The only rod I still own is the Mojo. For my taste, the Tsunami was way too soft for my style of casting, and my first 10’ Carbon Surf snapped on the third cast, I am sure this was an anomaly but I sold the warranty replacement. My 9’ Carbon Surf is rated like .5-2 and is a noodlestick, I use it for floating bugs and red fins in the back. I like the Mojo because I am not into using a long rod for plugging and in my opinion, has the most backbone out of any 9 footer on the market. Rods are a very personal thing though. Best thing I can say is try to get your hands on them in person, test casting would be even better. Before you buy. The three rods all have quite different actions and feels to them. Hope this helps! if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

38 mins ago, Joeny718 said:

Anyone selling a used century?  

You can put a WTB. Once you go high end it’s hard to go back.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Haha was about to post the exact same question. All my research keeps leading me back to the 9’6 airwave elite. Not trying to hijack this thread,  but I was thinking that pairing this rod with a Daiwa BG would be a killer budget combo. What size bg would be best? Was thinking the 3500 but not sure. Hoping this helps the OP.

Edited by Sevendust111