shortys7777

Finished my kitchen

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Finished about a month ago. Full gut while living at home with a pregnant wife and a 16 month old all while both working remotely. Luckily my job wasn't that crazy where I had my computer close by during the day. 

IMG_20200713_202400_079.jpg.32248bd7dbac035f58fb2d36ff46188b.jpgIMG_20200713_202359_977.jpg.29f7bf875f2d643f36c3228e9f80d1ce.jpgIMG_20200713_202400_085.jpg.1ff7fd79f4a7c8d294122a76ae8073cb.jpg20200712_213057.jpg.dfa822db2cbff6414bd74c5c86031143.jpg20200712_213141.jpg.121be16b7041e28b2858a21e51f04f89.jpgIMG_20200713_202359_973.jpg.28ab0e51704f7c6b565d8fa60113ff4f.jpgIMG_20200713_202359_979.jpg.070d4608e1714a36b1e97ed4f21c314d.jpg

Okay, I will start with,  I don't like the color choice of the top.

I love the shaker style cabinets, raised uppers and crown, the lighting and the whole layout. Even the pulls.

Especially that you finally got the sink centered on the window!

Love that ya didn't do pendants over the island, but the one over the sink I do like. It fits. I'm not Italian, but in my family the Irish gets up at times and I've seen and put put my hand through more than one ceiling fan/light kit globe/..., Pendants are for restaurants IMHO.

Love the subway tile on the running bond. Classic clean look.

I could cook there. Totally jealous. 

You nailed it I think.

:th::th::th:

Oh, and closing off the opening tween the kitchen and dining room was a bold move. Most folks waffle on that when I ask them. 

I like your separation.

Not bad. I just got soapstone tops installed in my kitchen. We are doing 3x6 subway tile on the backsplash. It’s an off white color with a crackle finish with charcoal gray grout lines. One thing I noticed on yours is you chose to leave the trim on underneath the window stool. I’m removing mine so the tile has a bigger appearance underneath the window. 

17 mins ago, gray gables said:

One thing I noticed on yours is you chose to leave the trim on underneath the window stool. I’m removing mine so the tile has a bigger appearance underneath the window. 

I saw that as well Matt, but it appears that the apron is mounted over the tile. Which in his case and being flat stock, I actually like it. No detail to the trim other than I guess a double miter.... Is it exstention  jambed out and tiled up to...

Or all tile and apron siliconed in place.

Dunno   

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

Love that ya didn't do pendants over the island,

Haha, I was going to say he forgot them! I like to read the paper at the kitchen table. Otherwise it's very nice. I'm not all aboard with the trend of painted cabs, but there's no fighting it. I love the look of slide in ranges, that one might even be the same Frigidaire I just got with air fry!  I also like darker counters, in granite the light ones stain way more easily and need way more sealing.  It always pains me when I see a vast expanse of lovely light granite like that with a big oil ring in it!

Perhaps my only real beef is that with that much space I'd have put a real hood in and found another spot for the MW. A real 600cfm blower can make a huge difference in keeping a kitchen clean and cool. You should see how much grease comes out of my Vent a Hood's trap when I clean it! We use a double burner cast iron grill a lot, and one 300cfm fan doesn't cut it, I noticed a lot of smoke escaping the hood and when I took it apart one of the two 300cfm blower flaps was stuck closed!

In my kitchen I put the MW on a shelf 12" over the counter where there were no cabs. Also puts  it in reach of less than full grown kids. Over the range can be be an uncomfortable reach for short adults!

Edited by gellfex

4 mins ago, gellfex said:

Perhaps my only real beef is that with that much space I'd have put a real hood in and found another spot for the MW. A real 600cfm blower can make a huge difference in keeping a kitchen clean and cool. You should see how much grease comes out of my Vent a Hood's trap when I clean it! We use a double burner cast iron grill a lot, and one 300cfm fan doesn't cut it, I noticed a lot of smoke escaping the hood and when I took it apart one of the two 300cfm blower flaps was stuck closed!

This is why you are so crazy about vent hoods. You apparently never go outside to grill? 

28 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

This is why you are so crazy about vent hoods. You apparently never go outside to grill? 

It's the wifey. She hates running in and out. When she does grill she keeps it too low for fear of burning it and things never get a good brown. But those stovetop grills really are awesome. You can sear some meat and then just stick the whole thing in the oven for an even cook. And like I said you'd be amazed how much grease comes off even a fry pan for eggs or a saute.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fully rebuilt the stools and apron below. The tile is cut around the apron. Personal preference. As for the microwave and putting a hood alone. We didn't like the in island microwave or want a counter top unit. It's on the exterior wall. Vents right out. As for the transition into the dining I left that as is. Load bearing wall and honestly prefer the little separation. We thought about island lights but with low ceilings and all the lighting there I think we will leave it. Electrical is all in place for it though. Up next is the house reappraisal. 

Edited by shortys7777

Nice. My kitchen remodel turned into updating every adjacent room, hallway, and went all the way up the stairs. I’ve never done so much millwork. 

On 7/28/2020 at 7:43 PM, NHAngler said:

Nice. My kitchen remodel turned into updating every adjacent room, hallway, and went all the way up the stairs. I’ve never done so much millwork. 

That’s usually what happens. 

On 7/28/2020 at 4:50 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Okay, I will start with,  I don't like the color choice of the top.

And not to worry...you’re not the wife! ;)