EricJ

Do You Think This is a Fair Deal??

Rate this topic

137 posts in this topic

A home improvement company has done an energy audit on my home. Based upon their findings, the home is eligible for a NJ energy rebate reducing the cost of the equipment. When you make these improvements, the home gets an Energy Star certificate (which I suppose "could" help with resale. who knows?).

What you need to know...

My AC unit is about 35 yrs old

Furnace is 15 yrs old

Hot Water heater is 12 yrs old

Attic insulation was done in 1968 and is really not doing a great job

I may sell the home in the next few years

Their proposal...

Replace the AC Unit (Rheem - 16 Seer - 13 eer)

Replace the Furnace (Rheem direct vented PVC - 96% efficient)

Replace the hot water heater (Rheem direct vented PVC - 50 gal)

Seal the attic with spray foam from the living space below and then install 13 inches of fiberglass blown insulation

Cost = $11k

I think I may be able to get the AC/Furnace done for about $6-$7k on my own but that would use the current chimney venting and I am sure I will need a chimney liner.

Solid deal or no?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 min ago, capequahog said:

what does AC unit mean exactly?

Furnish & Install: New evaporator coil, condenser, condenser pad, condensate disposal system, fusible disconnect with new wire whip and all refrigerant for proper system install charge. Inspect, flush or replace refrigerant line set and pressure test and evacuate. Provide all necessary return and supply connections and modifications, sealing, and insulation (if applicable). Connect power, low voltage and line set.   16 SEER 13 EER   Cooling System Warranty

Edited by EricJ

Based upon their findings, the home is eligible for a NJ energy rebate reducing the cost of the equipment

had some guy come do an assessment here, walked thru the house.. we can do this we can do that etc... then he asked about income...

ugh sorry you don't qualify loll basically if i made not enough to afford a house i wouldn't qualify for the "Grant"

Edited by Sandflee

I would not go over 14 seer on the AC condenser.

You will never make your money back on a 16 seer unit, it will break first.

At 35 years old that condenser does not owe you anything.

The most bang for your bucks will be the insulation.

Your older mechanics would reduce your asking price by at least 10K so basically if you replace now and enjoy some savings then you are ahead. Get another quote for comparison. 

I am not a big Rheem fan and you don't see many of them here in the deep south where A/C really gets used. 

AC unit replacement may be worthwhile since newer units are much more efficient.

A coworker had his 30+ year system replaced around April time frame and paid around $8k or so in Bergen county.

If you can wait until the off season, I suspect you may be able to get a better deal on one (if you don't go with the full systems swap appraisal you listed above).

Regarding the hot water heater.

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend looking into a tankless water heater.

I've had 2 Rheem direct vent systems installed at a couple of properties over the years and will never go back to a tank system.

Once the hot water heater goes at my current house, I'll be replacing it with a Rheem tankless system.

When I purchased the tankless water system/s, there was some sort of efficiency rebate on the unit and cost of install that could be claimed on taxes.

Regarding insulation, if you're handy, that's something you could probably do yourself if you have the time.

Edited by layer8

You can't get to 16 see without a new air handler with variable speed and all the bells and whistles to get there. So 13 is what you will get in practice. 

Replace the condenser figure that's 4-5k. Furnace 3k. Spray foam can be expensive so figure 4k. Blown in is cheap. At retail pricing, I think 11 is not bad. Come back at 9k and settle at 10k.

Go for it and install a all house generator. If you sell, you get your money back, and if you don’t you recoup most of it and have peace for a few years.

I have the same prob....except i just replaced my hot water heater.

:howdy:

what are the dimensions (box size) of your house?

ranch or cape or ?

safe to assume your on natural gas from utility and not propane ?

did they specify what type of spray cell they were using open or closed cell foam?

did they estimate what your energy savings might be ?

If your furnace and chimney are still in good operating condition and are only 15 years old , you probably would not see a large reduction in consumption of gas, and the newer furnace units are way more complicated ( electronic parts that crap out) 

and cost more to service .

In Connecticut the audit company the utility uses also do the energy upgrades and together they offer some great low interest options to finance the upgrades, if they have that where you are i would definitely consider it. 

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

A home improvement company has done an energy audit on my home. Based upon their findings, the home is eligible for a NJ energy rebate reducing the cost of the equipment. When you make these improvements, the home gets an Energy Star certificate (which I suppose "could" help with resale. who knows?).

What you need to know...

My AC unit is about 35 yrs old

Furnace is 15 yrs old

Hot Water heater is 12 yrs old

Attic insulation was done in 1968 and is really not doing a great job

I may sell the home in the next few years

Their proposal...

Replace the AC Unit (Rheem - 16 Seer - 13 eer)

Replace the Furnace (Rheem direct vented PVC - 96% efficient)

Replace the hot water heater (Rheem direct vented PVC - 50 gal)

Seal the attic with spray foam from the living space below and then install 13 inches of fiberglass blown insulation

Cost = $11k

I think I may be able to get the AC/Furnace done for about $6-$7k on my own but that would use the current chimney venting and I am sure I will need a chimney liner.

Solid deal or no?

We did something like this two years ago. Best money we have ever spent on the house.

56 mins ago, CATCHnRELEASE said:

I think Mike’s figures are kind of large.

In that case, forget about getting your moolah back.

It's tough for me to judge retail. I only know what I pay. I figure retail is another 30% easily.