Cuttyhunker

Cuttyhunk

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last Saturday was a good day for stripers west of Cuttyhunk at the Sow and Pigs Reef fishing on the old vintage Blackfin with vintage tackle

Striper.jpg

Edited by Cuttyhunker

Posted (edited) · Report post

That’s cool and I sincerely mean that, but on a separate note, try to leave out spot names. 

Edited by Seadogg

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

That’s cool and I sincerely mean that, but on a separate note, try to leave out spot names. 

Why, all the canal guys are going to ride out there on their ebikes? :laugh:

Home made tackle, 14g SS wire spreaders (dredges)) 5 short spinning surgie's, they mostly liked black on Saturday.  Telling you where and how are very different Idaho's.

6 mins ago, Cuttyhunker said:

Home made tackle, 14g SS wire spreaders (dredges)) 5 short spinning surgie's, they mostly liked black on Saturday.  Telling you where and how are very different Idaho's.

I think you were hung on a lobster pot. :stick:

I know this is off topic but is it that bad at the canal bob? I never bothered to fish the canal because of the horror stories.

11 mins ago, dan_d said:

I know this is off topic but is it that bad at the canal bob? I never bothered to fish the canal because of the horror stories.

Last week.

20200728_221750.jpg.9a3db767b52e8e9b0e66a5a208b8a506.jpg

Screenshot_20200728-222104_Gallery.jpg.16af015bd8d7636639d6abe00b60a395.jpg

If that's your cup of tea, come on down.

wow....that is beyond sad.....fishing has turned into poker like in the 2003-2005 era...everyone was going to quit the job to become a poker player. This is why i'm defensive

about fishing spots and mainly fish at night.

11 mins ago, dan_d said:

wow....that is beyond sad.....fishing has turned into poker like in the 2003-2005 era...everyone was going to quit the job to become a poker player. This is why i'm defensive

about fishing spots and mainly fish at night.

Not to hijack Cutty thread but wanted to add one more comment: 

For a few years, the increase in canal crowds mainly centered around the breakfast bite. Then breaking tides on weekends(dawn) jammed up. Then breaking tides weekdays. Then breaking tides nighttime jigging weekends. Then BT nighttime jigging weekdays....

Now its breaking tides nighttime suntise weekend weekday-- it's insane.

A few weeks back, I personally observed fishermen getting into position at one spot nearly a full tide cycle before they'd actually begin fishing it. 5-6hours early! Rods were stuck into the rocks as placeholders, and for hours they shot the sh¡t, ate food, sat in chairs, fiddled on the phone, etc. Two hours before prime time in the tide, guys were lined up for a hundred yards. As the money time approached, latecomers mugged in to the lineup, reducing the space between fishermen to 6ft. Sometimes less.

Oh, and what if you told a mugger that no, he couldn't cut in? Exact Quote: "I'm fishing here. If it's not me it'll be someone else, and you're better off with me than someone else who doesn't know what they're doing" 

In the worst areas, tangles and spiderwebs and crossed lines become hellish. There can be yelling and screaming and purposely cut lines. Here's a classic cross-up line that echoes down the canal over and over and over again:

*OPEN YOUR BAIL!*

lol

5f20f8177d03f_download(11).jpeg.e7b5cfb8cdfbe02839244e9be1f3ad99.jpeg

so right now tonight as an example....how many ppl would be fishing the rest of the out/beginning of incoming tide until sunrise...100's?

The tide at the moment is mid rise at the canal I believe. So it's off moon and off tide. Some crowds will be there in the morning regardless of moon or tide or day, but right now there's room. Whether or not a guy is skilled enough to pick fish up on the off tides is another matter.