Harf

Should the Socials be responsible for removing Doxing from their platforms

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Doxing, or doxxing, is the Internet-based practice of researching and publicly broadcasting private or identifying information about an individual or organization. The methods employed to acquire this information include searching publicly available databases and social media websites, hacking, and social engineering.

They take down their interpretation of Hate speech.  Doxing seems to be even more dangerous. Technically it’s an easy thing for them to do.
Thoughts?

Edited by Harf

26 mins ago, Harf said:

Doxing, or doxxing, is the Internet-based practice of researching and publicly broadcasting private or identifying information about an individual or organization. The methods employed to acquire this information include searching publicly available databases and social media websites, hacking, and social engineering.

They take down their interpretation of Hate speech.  Doxing seems to be even more dangerous. Technically it’s an easy thing for them to do.
Thoughts?

~

Impossible task

takes the same effort and tools as it does to remove all that Conservative hate stuff.

But the question is whether or not it should be done to project people and their families? 

As this place is where I spend the vast majority of my SM time, I appreciate the efforts TimS takes to nip that doxxing stuff at the bud. It is easy here, compared to a huge site like Twitter, or FB. Most of us are regulars, it is a relatively small community here, and a complaint goes right to the boss. At the large sites, there are thousands/millions of issues, that many voices trying to be heard. and yours about your issue is lost in the fog.

So, it would be nice if they would/could, but it is an impossible job.

at what point does Doxing cross over into identity theft?  I think if we can define that, Socials should enforce from there.  Otherwise, it's free speech IMO.

1 hour ago, Jmat321 said:

at what point does Doxing cross over into identity theft?  I think if we can define that, Socials should enforce from there.  Otherwise, it's free speech IMO.

Is it free speech for me to dig into your posts, look up your IP info, and figure your real life identity, and publish it for all to see?

4 mins ago, dena said:

Is it free speech for me to dig into your posts, look up your IP info, and figure your real life identity, and publish it for all to see?

you wouldn't be the 1st on here lol

8 hours ago, Harf said:

Thoughts?

Isn't this what Govt. officials and corporate officials have always done to discredit a whistleblower or a former employee who has a grievance?

5 mins ago, dena said:

Is it free speech?

Or is it a privacy violation?

are privacy violations illegal outside of say medicine?  I am really not sure.

5 mins ago, Jmat321 said:

are privacy violations illegal outside of say medicine?  I am really not sure.

I think where it crosses the line, legally, is if I act on my new found knowledge, and use it to harm you.

Like if I doxxed you to a Starbux, met you there, and stomped on your foot...the finding you isn't illegal, but the assault on your person is. But, I am no Lawyer.

4 hours ago, eddy said:

there's doxxing

and then there's using information about a person to cause harm to them.

And this is where the conversation needs to start 

8 hours ago, Harf said:

And this is where the conversation needs to start 

i can open the whitepages and find lots of names and addresses.

i can go to town hall and find all the property owners in my town.

i can go on social media and find a general area of where they live, but then i can also find out when they go on vacation.

it's just like anything else.

it's what you do with the information that other people (on their own) put out there.