KnewBee

Roberts and the 2nd

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

The Calvary Chapel case didn't garner much interest here in the PG (Shocked!), but when it comes to the 2nd and Roberts, maybe there is something to the whole "blackmail" BS conspiracy stuff?

"Conservative Justices Declined to Take Up Second Amendment Case after Roberts Signaled He Would Side with Liberals: Report"  July 27 National Review

"The conservative wing of the Supreme Court reportedly declined to take up a case dealing with Second Amendment rights after Chief Justice John Roberts indicated that he would vote with the court’s liberal justices.

In June, the justices rejected petitions from 10 challenges relating to state restrictions on firearms after Roberts signaled he would not vote with them, depriving the court’s conservatives of the fifth vote needed to overturn gun regulations, CNN reported Monday...

...The four most reliably conservative justices were not confident that they would get a fifth vote from Roberts on the case or similar cases addressing the Second Amendment, according to unidentified sources cited by CNN.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh penned an unsigned opinion that was overseen by Roberts for that case in which six justices agreed that the case should be relegated to the lower court. In a separate statement that Kavanaugh signed, he said that the Supreme Court should address “soon” the issue of varying interpretations of the Second Amendment.

Roberts became a frequent deciding vote on the Supreme Court after Justice Anthony Kennedy retired in 2018. Since then, the chief justice has voted frequently with the Court’s four liberal justices and most recently cast the decisive vote last month to block the Trump administration from ending the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which prevents immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children from being deported."

That isn't how it is supposed to work.  This isn't Congress trying to ensure they have enough votes to get a Bill passed.

Personally, I don't buy into the blackmail conspiracy crap.   My money is on Roberts just going against Trump, which he shouldn't do. 

Another explanation exists, I think. 

Being appointed for life without worry of real political repercussions is incredibly freeing.  I think John Roberts is legitimately voting his understanding of the Constitution.

Libs and Cons often shed their labels/principles if they simply don't like something.  Justices are not supposed to do that, and frankly I believe all have shown that.

Posted (edited) · Report post

So CNN is saying justices minds are made up before even hearing a case?

Sounds like a oral arguments are a dog and pony show

Edited by jkrock

31 mins ago, moonbat said:

Another explanation exists, I think. 

Being appointed for life without worry of real political repercussions is incredibly freeing.  I think John Roberts is legitimately voting his understanding of the Constitution.

Libs and Cons often shed their labels/principles if they simply don't like something.  Justices are not supposed to do that, and frankly I believe all have shown that.

I would argue he got it wrong in the Calvary Chapple Case in NV.  

Punting on the 2nd could be just avoiding the controversy and leaving the decisions to the lower courts. 

19 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

How desperate is the Left to make gun ownership criminal?

That statement may be a bit over the top.  Cases in question deal with "restrictions"

"..the justices rejected petitions from 10 challenges relating to state restrictions on firearms.."

40 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Personally, I don't buy into the blackmail conspiracy crap.   My money is on Roberts just going against Trump, which he shouldn't do. 

I worry about Roberts on 2A cases as well. Not sure I buy the blackmail stories but he has contorted himself into some pretzel like shapes on some cases.

As far as Roberts going against the 2A just to go against Trump, I don’t buy that. First, Trump is far from the greatest defender of the 2A, even with the NRA support. Trump is not a shooter, though his sons are, and has never shot a firearm as far as I am aware. Thus, Roberts would not strike a deep nerve there.

i like the Occum's Razor approach - Roberts is your typical elitist who has no use for MSRs, 18 round mags, etc. He believes in your right to own handguns for SD and long rifles and shotguns for sporting purposes, but he is not concerned about regulating the rest. He believes the Framers did not think citizens needed to own "military grade arms" in the current context and meaning. 

Or someone has photos of him, a goat and a 80yo grandma. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Problem is not the Constitution or readily available founding fathers explanation of the second, it's the judges decision to rewrite constitution as they see necessary for 21st from their lofty bench.

but watch Koreans armed at their stores, black militias armed in streets. The cops are losing funding to do their primary jobs and won't have funding to start collecting any arms. 2nd amendment isn't going away. 

Edited by Dave588

3 hours ago, KnewBee said:

The Calvary Chapel case didn't garner much interest here in the PG (Shocked!), but when it comes to the 2nd and Roberts, maybe there is something to the whole "blackmail" BS conspiracy stuff?

"Conservative Justices Declined to Take Up Second Amendment Case after Roberts Signaled He Would Side with Liberals: Report"  July 27 National Review

"The conservative wing of the Supreme Court reportedly declined to take up a case dealing with Second Amendment rights after Chief Justice John Roberts indicated that he would vote with the court’s liberal justices.

In June, the justices rejected petitions from 10 challenges relating to state restrictions on firearms after Roberts signaled he would not vote with them, depriving the court’s conservatives of the fifth vote needed to overturn gun regulations, CNN reported Monday...

...The four most reliably conservative justices were not confident that they would get a fifth vote from Roberts on the case or similar cases addressing the Second Amendment, according to unidentified sources cited by CNN.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh penned an unsigned opinion that was overseen by Roberts for that case in which six justices agreed that the case should be relegated to the lower court. In a separate statement that Kavanaugh signed, he said that the Supreme Court should address “soon” the issue of varying interpretations of the Second Amendment.

Roberts became a frequent deciding vote on the Supreme Court after Justice Anthony Kennedy retired in 2018. Since then, the chief justice has voted frequently with the Court’s four liberal justices and most recently cast the decisive vote last month to block the Trump administration from ending the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which prevents immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children from being deported."

That isn't how it is supposed to work.  This isn't Congress trying to ensure they have enough votes to get a Bill passed.

4 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

How desperate is the Left to make gun ownership criminal?

Most of the democrats who own guns are already criminals.  They are just trying to expand their base.

My take on Roberts is that he was a target of the deep FISA §702 data mining done by the Obama administration and there exists some damaging information being held over him.