11 posts in this topic

I keep my boat in a slip at the local marina at Lake Waco. There are snakes in the water now and there will continue to be snakes, but I'd like to keep them away from where I am as much as possible. I've seen 2 in the water in the last week. It's a floating marina with dense foam at the bottom, an open gap (can access the top of the foam easily, then steel + concrete.

I can't keep snakes away 100% of the time but what can I do to make them less likely to come near my slip? Do you think I could spread Snake-B-Gone or sulfur or something on top of the foam layer? Would they be able to smell/sense it while they're in the water and make them go someplace else?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't go fishing anymore. Better yet, stay off the water all together. The snakes live at the lake and they have every right to be there.

If the above is not an option, remember that snakes are not going to go out of their way to bother you, so you need to get over it.

Snakes are a reality of fishing.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Are they dangerous?  The only water snake down there that's venomous is cottonmouth, right?  If not then what is your reasoning for not wanting them around?

19 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Are they dangerous?  The only water snake down there that's venomous is cottonmouth, right?  If not then what is your reasoning for not wanting them around?

I lived in Texas for a while where there were plenty of rattle snakes and water moccasins.

Spent a lot of time fishing and hiking through in the creeks where you had to watch every step because water moccasins were everywhere. There were plenty of times where my buddies and I very nearly stepped on one.

Often times you would stand there fishing just 5ft from one of those things.

It was what it was.

What I hated where the fire ants. Stand near one of those mounds and those ants would ruin your day.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Learn proper snake ID.  The majority of people cannot tell a cottonmouth from a garter from a common water snake

I had idiot neighbors kill a king snake and tell me it was a rattle snake and it attacked them.  King snakes eat other snakes including rattle snakes sheeesh

Learn the difference between a diamond back water snake (completely harmless btw) and a true water moccasin or cottonmouth.  

Contrary to popular belief snakes will not attack unless you mess with them.  Like any wild animal dont corner them and they flee. 

There is a reason you are seeing so many around your marina it is likely you have rats and mice which are way more harmful than snakes.

Finally get some soft plastic snake imitations and swim those near structure like rocks or stumps!!!!!

Edited by Captain Ahab

3 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Learn proper snake ID.  The majority of people cannot tell a cottonmouth from a garter from a common water snake

I had idiot neighbors kill a king snake and tell me it was a rattle snake and it attacked them.  King snakes eat other snakes including rattle snakes sheeesh

Learn the difference between a diamond back water snake (completely harmless btw) and a true water moccasin or cottonmouth.  

Contrary to popular belief snakes will not attack unless you mess with them.  Like any wild animal dont corner them and they flee. 

There is a reason you are seeing so many around your marina it is likely you have rats and mice which are way more harmful than snakes.

Finally get some soft plastic snake imitations and swim those near structure like rocks or stumps!!!!!

I don’t dig snakes at all yet I wander all over fishing. I just avoid them the best I can. Most boggie when they see you anyway.

I stepped down into the water on the New River a couple of weeks ago - scared the crap out of a water snake - it dropped into the water and took off fast.  Glad I was in the mountains where there are no water moccasins! OH

Water snakes can bite real hard, but most snakes are more scared than you. Don’t ever fish in Panama, there are deadly snakes in the jungle, AND in the water!

I had my fill of cottonmouths when I was in college in NW Tennessee.  Most times they took off though I did have to wack one over the head with my rod, I love Ugly Sticks, when it insisted on trying to grab the Jitterbug my dad was fishing and followed it to the bank.  I never had one drop into the boat I was fishing in, but one did drop from a tree into the boat a couple of friends were fishing in on Reelfoot Lake.  Since it hadn't dropped into my boat it was a hilarious watching them jump around the boat trying to get it out.  They swore it was a cottonmouth.  Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

A visual lesson, if you fish with a bobber and worms, don't reel the sunfish you've caught in real slow.

P5240268.JPG

P5240267.JPG