Batman67

Triggerfish

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

32 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

similar to fishing for porgy or can you cast/retrieve?

They can be very aggressive, if you find them they will absolutely take small jigs. I've had a lot more success with squid and clams on hi-low rigs though. Tastiest inshore fish we get up here in my opinion.

2 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Can you share any secret recipe around bait used and rig \ setup?

I use clams, but guys also use squid. I used to use basic hi-low rig, but your fishing rocky areas. You will lose rigs, bring 6. I now fish a basic one dropper loop rig. About 12-16 inches from sinker. I use 3oz sinker, so I can put it right where i want. And most important small sharp hooks. I use #4 baitholder, they will snap a few when you unhook them.  But they are cheap enough.

36 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

similar to fishing for porgy or can you cast/retrieve?

Short casts. If you find them as soon as it hits bottom they find it.

11 hours ago, Batman67 said:

IMG_1148.JPG.cf037b61cbfa8839478e2a6fee0b00f9.JPGIMG_1157.JPG.aaabee132d46dab538fce35479815992.JPG

Wow! lucky to get these fish. I did target triggers past weekend from top of the tide to the bottom. 

All I got was fluke, fluke, fluke on clams.

Just now, JillJillu said:

Wow! lucky to get these fish. I did target triggers past weekend from top of the tide to the bottom. 

All I got was fluke, fluke, fluke on clams.

Try incoming  

Triggerfish like vertical and floating structure. They are not bottom feeders sometimes I fish a dropper 4-5+ feet above the sinker if im fishing a jetty wall. They are very territorial and tend to keep returning to the same irregularities they find appealing. At low tide you can basically sight fish them if they are there they wont leave their spot to go deeper even as the tide drops. Having the longer leader weeds out all the micro sea bass bergalls and blowfish. 

22 hours ago, Batman67 said:

Try incoming  

Ok. anything about the water quality? does it have to be like tropical water or chocolate milk etc?