rockyoutdoors

Radar Suggestions????

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I am looking for a new radar unit for my 22' boat. Never had one before and it doesn't need to be fancy or far reaching. Just need something for those foggy situations so I can get out and fish. Thanks in advance.

I’ve been using Garmin in a professional setting for a decade. Not only is the radar excellent but their navigation charts are in my opinion the best on the market. Easily interpreted with great color schemes and bold symbols. 

On 7/27/2020 at 6:17 PM, rockyoutdoors said:

I am looking for a new radar unit for my 22' boat. Never had one before and it doesn't need to be fancy or far reaching. Just need something for those foggy situations so I can get out and fish. Thanks in advance.

I can vouch for the Simrad as well, I've got the 4G one and it works great with my Lowrance head units.

But this really should match what you have onboard, if you can integrate the electronics.  If you have a system that can add-on a radar unit, you should do it for ease of use. 

On 7/27/2020 at 6:17 PM, rockyoutdoors said:

I’ll throw my vote to Garmin too.

i have an integrated sonar, radar, gps chart. 

very easy to use  I particularly like the Nav chart with Radar overlay mode 

On 9/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, MakoMike said:

If you have the room go for separate units. That way if one thing goes down you still have all your other electronics.

I have an integrated setup but also have a separate GPS plotter. And a third one actually.

i find this good if stuck in really bad fog. I’ll have both charts going, one with radar overlay. 

3 hours ago, rockyoutdoors said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Leaning towards something like this, but the price tag is hefty $4,300.00.

19995802_1500.17062020033132.jpg

Defender has a sale going on right now on the Simrad halo radars.

Edited by MakoMike

On 9/19/2020 at 5:02 PM, NPV said:

I’ve had Raymarine, Garmin, and Simrad. I do like the dual range capability of the 4g Simrad.

Definitely one of the best features of that unit.  4G is the way to go.