Clowsher

Jigging World Nexus for 3oz plugs, Jigging, Live-Lining (Stripers) ?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I already have an inshore 7' Tidemaster Med. rod (up to 5/8oz, but can cast 1oz easy), and also have a 8.5' surf rod (up to 2.5oz max). I was considering getting a boat spin rod w/ baitrunner/live-lining reel to serve 3 purposes: 1) Casting large plugs like 2-3oz spooks (Doc), 2) Jigging during hot month of August when stripers are in deeper water (using 3-6oz jigs), and 3) live-lining pogies and mackerel. I am current using my surf rod for these purposes but it really gets maxed out at 2.5oz and can't throw the Doc lure very well. And it's kind of a long rod for the boat...

So I watched a video on youtube from OnTheWater "Newport Striper Doldrums" where the guide was using a 7'6" MH Jigging World Nexus spin rod (rated 2-6oz) to cast the 9" Doc (3+oz). I figured this might be a good rod for my purposes listed above. Question is... this rod also comes in a 7' MH model rated for 1-4oz lures. Would the 7' 1-4oz rod be suitable or would this just be too soft for tossing a 3oz+ lure like the Doc?

1 hour ago, kayaknshore said:

I have the 1-4oz 7ft Jigging World Nanocarbon Hybrid. I don't think it could cast a 3oz plug well. It's too loose. 

Thank you! This is exactly the info I was hoping for. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, Clowsher said:

2-6oz i with 3 oz is still a little heavy but you can make it work if needled. I tossed 4oz metal lips on my spiral and let it drift out the remaining distance it’s a great rod.

Edited by Gooch88