adams54

French drain advice

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hello all. I need to dig a french drain to help redirect water that has accumulated and saturated in a section of my backyard. The source of all this excess water is from a neighbors poorly dialed in sprinkler system. 

So the solution is I need to dig a french drain. Maybe you guys can help me decide the best way to go. The total length would be 60ft. I can either use 4" hard pvc perforated pipe or 4" corrugated perf pipe. Its sorta too long to dig by hand but doable worst case. Anyone ever try using a trencher for this application?  Also I dont have the room nor do I want to rent a mini excavator.  Thoughts?

Is it enough water that it needs to be led off, or will it drain in place? If pitch will be minimal I would go with the ridged pipe.

Had the same issue here with the uphill neighbors downspout water. I dug two shallow dirt swails leading to a central point, and dug in an old school drywell. As in the picture, French drains can be simple or complex (expensive and labor intensive).

47F53752-1776-4D98-84CC-4DE8D2F7BEF0.jpeg

6 hours ago, cheech said:

Is it enough water that it needs to be led off, or will it drain in place? If pitch will be minimal I would go with the ridged pipe.

Had the same issue here with the uphill neighbors downspout water. I dug two shallow dirt swails leading to a central point, and dug in an old school drywell. As in the picture, French drains can be simple or complex (expensive and labor intensive).

47F53752-1776-4D98-84CC-4DE8D2F7BEF0.jpeg

This is great. Two things , If you have hardscape or trees next to it , over time the roots will grow into the perforated pipe. Matter of time. Keep the end of the drain open or a cleanout if you can so that it can be power snaked or jetted in the future. Thanks.

Installed a 100+ feet last summer for a client. Used the 4" corrugated pipe. We use it for dry wells on new builds too. Had it draining both directions from the back yard. But we had a mini excavator and a dingo for bringing the stone in after we set the pitch. 

Good advice. Never thought about the root issue. Doesnt apply in the area I had in mind but good to know. The depot was all out of corrugated pipe. Had plenty of the perforated rigid pvc stuff. I think I might rent a really large trencher with tracks. Might be able to get a wider trench by some creative side to side control.

If the ground is wet/soft, be prepared for the trncher to get stuck. Also, all backfilling will be by hand, so keep that in mind as well. Depending on if you have a constant saturation or a runoff issue, and have the right grade slope a speed ditch may work better, just have to weed eat instead of mowing. If installing pipe, Cheech has the right idea. Just tamp it in and give time to settle before re sodding or seeding, so you don't have a low spot.