Capecod365

Fish in Dennis?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Bayside beaches are often hit or miss in July and August.   Blues show up as well.  You can try bait, Kastmasters, and Savage sand eels.   There are a lot of fishy places that can be accessed by shore.  Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple weeks ago we hit an outlet on the bayside on Saturday night.  Killed em!  Mostly smaller fish but some near keeper sized fish in the mix as the sun went down and before the tide ran out.

 

Fast forward the next night when we  brought a buddy we wanted to get into SW fishing.  Like someone turned a switch off.  a few fish here and there, and we saw folks not too far away having more consistent action, but almost the same conditions and it was all dinks and not many of them.

 

each tide is different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Capecod365 said:

One of the people helping me out suggested we try the bayside in Dennis this week? Anyone have any luck off the shore down there?

Dennis has a lot of river systems that produce just a little inside of the mouths . Check out West Dennis beach with waders , but keep your eyes open for sharks once you get out beyond the jetties into the river system . Blue fish should be around by now on small poppers or metal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m up there July and or August most years and find consistent bayside action.  Look at a map and follow the river outflows.  Best producers for me, in order: fresh raked sandeels, store bought sandeels, sand eel imitators, then a variety of plugs.   Top water bite when they are feeding heavily is a blast!  
 

Don’t wear waders this time of year, but do pay attention to the tides and mark structure on shore that will help you get oriented on direction to return.  Carry a compass and note which direction takes you back to shore.  A life jacket feels silly, but can save your arse. 
 

Last few hours of the outgoing can be great and is a very safe bet to fish.   The first few of the incoming can be spectacular, but you have to watch yourself and the tide very carefully.  It floods the flats frightenedly fast and can cut you off from shore in minutes in some places.   The current ripping through channels you barely noticed at low is very strong at that point.   Waders don’t help and I’ve had to do a the rod over my head one armed jackass tourist swim a few times. :)

 

Good luck and have fun.  It’s one of the prettiest places in the world and a piece y of my heart is there all year round. 

Edited by passiton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bay beaches, particularly the Flats east of Sesuit Harbor can be good the last 2 hrs of the drop into the 1st 2 hours of the rise ... fish the outer bars with Sand eel lures or fresh SEs. (real SEs during the day work well). Be very cognizant of the tide ... do not linger on the outer bars beyond 2 hours into the rise, otherwise you are swimming. Fish High Tide after dark ... swimmers with teasers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 0:12 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

Bay beaches, particularly the Flats east of Sesuit Harbor can be good the last 2 hrs of the drop into the 1st 2 hours of the rise ... fish the outer bars with Sand eel lures or fresh SEs. (real SEs during the day work well). Be very cognizant of the tide ... do not linger on the outer bars beyond 2 hours into the rise, otherwise you are swimming. Fish High Tide after dark ... swimmers with teasers.

 

Do you have any favorite sand eel lures and methods for fishing the flats on the outgoing tide?

 

I have always wanted to try the flats at low tide, and with low tide at 9:30 on Saturday, it looks like this could be the perfect opportunity to give it a shot.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best response I have heard to this sort of question was in a Bill Bryson book about Australia: a tourist in the 70s, you know, before the customer is always right nonsense started asked the local bait shop proprietor where the fish were biting. Response;”in the f$&@@))@ water mate!” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ItWasTheDogISwear said:

 

Do you have any favorite sand eel lures and methods for fishing the flats on the outgoing tide?

 

I have always wanted to try the flats at low tide, and with low tide at 9:30 on Saturday, it looks like this could be the perfect opportunity to give it a shot.

 

 

 

 

For sand eel imitations, you really can’t beat a savage sandeel or sluggo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

epoxy jigs were the top producer at a couple outflows on the outgoing in ccb for me and a couple friends.

Followed by a joe bags SP Minnow darter type swimmer.   It outfished the SP minnow it looks like 2 to 1.  I think it dove a bit deeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ItWasTheDogISwear said:

Do you have any favorite sand eel lures and methods for fishing the flats on the outgoing tide?

 

I like to stick with top water, so a white pencil popper or a Yozari Hydro pencil. I also like a teaser ... olive fly  or redgill. A White Redfin (or chicken scratch) with teaser is also good as it stays on top of the water column. SP Minnow tends to swim too deep over the bars. Any plastics ... hogies, sluggos, tsunami has a nice sand eel. Don't shy away from a casting egg with a deceiver fly on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, thank you all for the thoughtful replies. 

 

12 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

epoxy jigs were the top producer at a couple outflows on the outgoing in ccb for me and a couple friends.

Followed by a joe bags SP Minnow darter type swimmer.   It outfished the SP minnow it looks like 2 to 1.  I think it dove a bit deeper.

Do you have favorite colors or patterns for the epoxy jigs and JoeBaggs? I will be fishing evening in to night and dont have a problem switching colors at dark if that is the best approach. 

 

8 hours ago, NHAngler said:

6” Arkansas shiner Sluggo rigged weightless on a 5/0 Gamakatsu Superline ewg hook. 

Where do you add the weight so you can load the rod when casting? Like a Carolina rig? I fish a lot of unweighted plastics in freshwater but use a light rod. 

 

1 hour ago, jeffreyrichard said:

I like to stick with top water, so a white pencil popper or a Yozari Hydro pencil. I also like a teaser ... olive fly  or redgill. A White Redfin (or chicken scratch) with teaser is also good as it stays on top of the water column. SP Minnow tends to swim too deep over the bars. Any plastics ... hogies, sluggos, tsunami has a nice sand eel. Don't shy away from a casting egg with a deceiver fly on it.

This may be a weird question - do you have a lot of success with topwater fishing even when you do not see the bait in action on top? I love fishing topwater but was told like 30 years ago when I was a kid that if the bait arent working the top I should stay away. 

 

Also, do you switch to darker plugs/plastics when it gets dark out?

 

Thank you all again for all of the advice. I practically grew up on that beach and for whatever reason have only found success off the jetties at high tide. Plus, if my brother-in-law gets a fish this weekend I am going to be really pumped. 

 

David

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.