jstief

Fishing Near Harwich

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody,

I'm coming to Cape Cod pretty soon on vacation with my parents and we're staying in Harwich. 

Now, I don't usually fish for Stripers; I usually either fish for Lmb or I jig some blues on a pier in Long Island, but I'm excited to try to catch some nice stripers.

The issue is that I don't really have the right gear for Cape Cod, whether it's fishing surf or fishing the Canal, or some other spots. It would be really awesome if someone could recommend a spot near Harwich, as well as some gear or a nice local. bait shop. 

Many thanks, 

Tight lines

Sunrise Bait and Tackle is in Harwich and has some rods/ reels and plenty of lures and bait. Goose Hummock has two locations in Orleans and Dennis which are pretty close to Harwich and while I have never shopped there, they seem to have a good selection. Canal Bait and Tackle is right by the canal and has pretty much everything you could need there. You can fish for them on light tackle and plenty do.

If you search Harwich on this site, you will find a thread from a year or few ago that has some info on fishing the area. Search for the surrounding towns will also point you in the right direction.

7 mins ago, MJOS617 said:

Sunrise Bait and Tackle is in Harwich and has some rods/ reels and plenty of lures and bait. Goose Hummock has two locations in Orleans and Dennis which are pretty close to Harwich and while I have never shopped there, they seem to have a good selection. Canal Bait and Tackle is right by the canal and has pretty much everything you could need there. You can fish for them on light tackle and plenty do.

Goose Hummock in Dennis is closed for the season. I would try Riverview B&T in Yarmouth (Rt 28 near Bass River) or Goose Hummock in Orleans ... GH is a bit bigger but I haven't been there this year yet.

Best shot at Stripers is northside beaches ... flats in Dennis/Brewster, Sesuit Harbor jetty, Corporation Beach in Dennis. Plan to fish early (sunrise) or after dinner ... be aware many Dennis Beach lots are closed after 10 pm. However, no sticker is required after 430/5ish pm. Flats are my favorite but can be dangerous unless you know the tides ... only fish 2 hours before and after LOW, fish the outer bars ... requires walking/wading (can be over a mile out to the edge of the bars at low tide in Brewster ... closer in Dennis). Fishing Hi tide in the evening along the beaches can produce.

There may be some Blues around on the Southside Harwich and Dennis beaches ... fish at HI tide and ideally in the twilight.

A good spot to try is Stage Harbor/Hardings beach ... again, evening. Might be a good spot to lob a snake at night into the outgoing flow.

Riverview B&T on RTE28 in S.Yarmouth see Mac,Mike,or Lee[owner].Also,On rte 28 in N.Chatham is North Chatham Outfitters.See Frannie or Matt.Great folks and will steer you right.Don't overlook the freshwater bass fishing when the salt is slower.Hugely underfished and very good fishing in many many ponds.A flyrod in the ponds is an awesome alternative and a blast.

I’d also try to explore Pleasant Bay a little; you may be able to encounter some colder water there, which is always good this time of year. You would also be able to get by with relatively light gear. I second NCO. They’re great

I live in harwich and fish everyday, DM me if you want. 

Goose hummock is pretty loaded with everythinf, riverview is running a little slim as is sunrise unless you want live bait also. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, oldgoat said:

Hey kid  Try the river.

What he said!  Vacationed in Harwich in August for 12 years.  Scup, snapper blues (by the truckload some years), small fluke, weakfish and yes stripers ... all found in the river.  This is one of my favorite shots from a few years ago.  My son caught this one and a number of others on 6lb test ... we were rigged with very light fresh water rods targeting snappers on a foggy morning when some bass showed up.  

Sunrise on 28 is a great shop.

IMG_1982.JPG

Edited by Northshore Bob

On 8/4/2020 at 3:37 PM, oldgoat said:

Hey kid  Try the river.

Thabks! so I tried the mouth of the herring river but no bites on anything today. Any idea where’s  good?

5 mins ago, jstief said:

Thabks! so I tried the mouth of the herring river but no bites on anything today. Any idea where’s  good?

I have fished at rte28boat ramp and up North road in the marsh creek. shh!

Keep it to your self.

3 hours ago, jstief said:

so I tried the mouth of the herring river but no bites on anything today. Any idea where’s  good?

You need to keep at it ... more misses than hits usually, but fish are there (at night)