jkrock

Enthusiastic Biden supporters

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

I had this discussion with my father in-law yesterday, he's a big anti-Trumper who does nothing but watch the news all day.  I tried to get him to explain how after almost 4 years of Trump, the best thing the Democrats could put up was Biden.  The short of it was he said it doesn't matter who it is/was they aren't Trump, then he went on a rant about the wall and stupid tweets like usual.  When I tried to bring up how well his 401k was doing before the Corona virus and the new executive order about insulin prices (he's diabetic) he went into another CNN induced rant.  My wife and mother in-law hate it when I get him going, but it's so easy. 

Yes, there are, but that won't be the point come Nov 3rd

"Biden benefits from an enthusiasm gap, not the other way around"  The Hill, 6 July

"Now that Joe Biden holds a commanding lead in dozens of polls, the Trump campaign is relying on the argument that Biden voters aren’t enthusiastic about their candidate to self-soothe. To some degree, they’re right. The latest USA Today/Suffolk poll finds that half of President Trump’s voters are very enthusiastic about their candidate, while only 27 percent of Biden supporters feel the same way.

There is also the argument that Biden is leading because of his supporters’ aversion to Trump. Data from a New York Times/Sienna poll of battleground states found that 60 percent of Democrats in Florida and Arizona will vote against Donald Trump, and the same is true of 78 percent of independents in Florida, for example.   

But I think Biden is leading because of much more than Trump-hating. We are seeing, as we did in 2018, a complete repudiation of the GOP platform and the Democratic Party running campaigns on policies that are widely popular and in sync with American values. "

Not so much about "enthusiasm" as just the aversion to Trump.  May be enough, we shall see...

1 min ago, SallyGrowler said:

Protest votes never turn up.

Any comparison to previous elections seem ridiculous here in 2020.   Considering 2018, I would give the odds to the democrats.  

I drive around, quite a bit, and travel through many neighborhoods of all economic levels. This is the only Biden 2020 sign I see on a small bungalow house in Juno Beach. 

D32B5B66-4B08-48A7-B528-A3543B5FA7CE_1_102_o.jpeg.1889720e4a18ab1a613d2375a7952a5a.jpeg

4 hours ago, ne_dan said:

I had this discussion with my father in-law yesterday, he's a big anti-Trumper who does nothing but watch the news all day.  I tried to get him to explain how after almost 4 years of Trump, the best thing the Democrats could put up was Biden.  The short of it was he said it doesn't matter who it is/was they aren't Trump, then he went on a rant about the wall and stupid tweets like usual.  When I tried to bring up how well his 401k was doing before the Corona virus and the new executive order about insulin prices (he's diabetic) he went into another CNN induced rant.  My wife and mother in-law hate it when I get him going, but it's so easy. 

I hear ya. My parents are the same way. Sometimes they just can’t help themselves from making an anti Trump comment.

2 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Any comparison to previous elections seem ridiculous here in 2020.   Considering 2018, I would give the odds to the democrats.  

I don't see any evidence other than cherrypicked polls and contrived articles saying that Joe is a strong candidate.

2 mins ago, KnewBee said:

You think that 2018 turnout stats, without Trump on the table, is more applicable to 2020 than 2016?