Chris long

Which Stella best for light to medium offshore tuna etc?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I have an opportunity for any Stella. Poking for something to go on light to medium offshore trips with.  Which one is most appropriate. Thanks for your help.  O

Posted (edited) · Report post

I say don't overdo it on size. Keep in mind; the tuna can't run much further than however deep it is, assuming you can chase with the boat to an extent.

Edited by cbchurch

stay at 24oz..also keep in mind if you need low ratio/retrieve, high or 6.2 ultra high (more jigging or popping?)

The most versatile would be 5.6....in STELLA only comes with 8000 spool, but yess SALTIGA 10k!....14k with hg" NEXT GENERATION!¿? (like the BG MQ 14k 5.7ratio).

...if you don't want Saltiga, the most versatile would be between stella 8k hg vs 14k pg....go with pg (same retrieve but more braid)

^They're very nice when you see them (new Saltigas) in person. They even smell nice. 

The 10000H is tempting me. 

My 10k was fine....I'd go 14k

You want 300 yards of 60lb as a starting point.

(my old 10k 290 yards of 60lb hollow core )

Be careful around deeper water...The knot comes up fast when fish have room to run

I haven't fished the new stella or new saltiga....But I still look as the new stella as a downgrade to the 08....

I can't get past the removal of the fully integrated machined into the frame antireverse.....and swapping it for the clutch pack out of the Spheros

And no redundant AR....have a clutch fail on a fish fighting 20lbs of drag....good luck...imagine a surging fish under a fully loaded rod....imagine the clutch letting go and the rotor back reeling without warning....imagine a tangle with 80lb braid.....

Look at all the high end conventionals...all have backup antirverse mechanisms....

Clutch fails on a reel with a backup..it's still usable..Like a finor offshore :) ..you can't even use a spinner with a thread on handle with a faulty clutch...

Shimano pulled that out...to changed the angle of line lay...DAFUQ is that about...

The slot for the back up dog is now a reduction idler gear that drives the oscillation.....Every stella going back to the FA had the best line lay of any big offshore reel...There wasn't a need to change that at all.

I feel like the stella sw is just a name only status reel now....

I hate forming an opinion without using something....but I've seen gosa clutches fail...and I know the cost associated with the machined in housing is much greater....So I can't help but look at it as a cost saving downgrade.

Alan Hawk's review was eye opening.

Anything over 100 lbs and you're going to want 10k or up.  Is it it possible to land a decent fish on a 6-8k? Sure, but why take the chance unless you really need to throw a finesse bait on a light setup.  I believe the 10 and the 14k are the same sized body, with the 14000 having a bigger spool.  For only a couple ounces more I'd want the extra line.  Obviously if you're in the canyon you have to worry about a fish diving to spool you, but dont discount their abillity to run laterally.  I know of a few people who have been spooled in the last few weeks in relatively shallow water.  

I have to agree, if it wasn't for Shimano Platinum service peace of mind, and the actual name "Stella"...I think the Stella SW C would be going extinct. I'm not a magseal reel fan at all but the Saltiga just feels substantial and still retains the backup anti-reverse. 

Just got the 2020 18k Saltiga and it is without a doubt the most amazing reel I've ever owned....and I have just about the entire Stella line for comparison. If i was a fishin the wide open ocean, wouldn't leave home without it.....but that's just me LoL. 

37 mins ago, zcoker said:

Just got the 2020 18k Saltiga and it is without a doubt the most amazing reel I've ever owned....and I have just about the entire Stella line for comparison. If i was a fishin the wide open ocean, wouldn't leave home without it.....but that's just me LoL. 

Care to take pictures for comparison Stella n Saltiga side by side?