Capecod365

Canal Tips?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2020 at 6:24 PM, Capecod365 said:

Thank, you. Brand new on here, never used a forum before 

Capecod365,

You got a lot of good advice.

But just keep in mind, tying a 7oz sinker on your line with a chunk of pogy isn't chunking.  It's bottom fishing.

Drifting chunks can be as technical as drifting eggs for salmon, or dry flies and nymphs for summer trout.

1 hour ago, Jr said:

... Bough many a pogy at Cape Cod Charlie's

Yep, Gary took pride in lining up those pogies ever so neatly, left to right, back to belly, and carefully layering them, one row atop the other, in Gallo's ice.  It took him a lot of time and effort, but he cared for the product he sold.  The guy was a perfectionist.

He knew the importance of fresh, crunchy pogy to the fisherman.  As soon as Stanley came in with a few totes, they were quickly transferred and put on shaved ice.

Nothing was worse than driving down there. Pull into Charlie's walk in Gary sitting in that old recliner and shake his head no pogies today, but I got frozen mackerel. Used to get that sick feeling in my stomach.

16 mins ago, Joe G said:

Yep, Gary took pride in lining up those pogies ever so neatly, left to right, back to belly, and carefully layering them, one row atop the other, in Gallo's ice.  It took him a lot of time and effort, but he cared for the product he sold.  The guy was a perfectionist.

He knew the importance of fresh, crunchy pogy to the fisherman.  As soon as Stanley came in with a few totes, they were quickly transferred and put on shaved ice.

Agree.  That dedication to fresh bait is probably the reason he stayed in business so long.

Whatever happened to him? Is he still in the area?

On 7/27/2020 at 7:45 AM, bdowning said:

Chumming and chunking used to be much more widely practiced than it is now. Probably the most effective method at the moment, overall. 

used to be very productive. not so much anymore. If I chunk and chum a whole tide cycle I expect one fish 2 if I'm lucky. used to expect a couple dozen 10 years ago. its not as productive as it used to be for some reason.

On 7/27/2020 at 7:45 AM, bdowning said:

Chumming and chunking used to be much more widely practiced than it is now. Probably the most effective method at the moment, overall. 

Why do you think that is?  More work than casting and burning a magic swimmer for similar results?  Or did it lose its effectiveness over time as bass habits in the Canal changed?

9 mins ago, FishinFEEver said:

Why do you think that is?  More work than casting and burning a magic swimmer for similar results?  Or did it lose its effectiveness over time as bass habits in the Canal changed?

Maybe there's just a lot less fish around than there were even 10 years ago.

I've told this to people before and they claim I was lying or nuts.   Some mornings when my buddy and I would chum the rip. After we finished we'd finish our coffee before rigging up and began fishing.   We often noticed that water changed color. Prior to chumming it was a deep green.  Suddenly it had patches of silvery grey.  That was fish. Thousands of them. They followed the chum slick up the rip, and we're now at our feet.  And chunk cast out was an immediate hook up.

Same in the live herring days.  I can't tell you how many times I'd reach into the basket for a live herring.  Hook it on, drop it in the water at my feet, and reach down to close the lid on the basket, and have a twenty pounder nail the herring inches off my boots.

Just watch for the lobstermen to reset their traps, the bait will leave a scent trial.  Set up downstream a couple of yard away and throw your bait several feet of the rip rap...........

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Agree.  That dedication to fresh bait is probably the reason he stayed in business so long.

Whatever happened to him? Is he still in the area?

Yes, he's still in the area.  He was at the Canal Sportsmans Club last week.  He has been using his boat to get out and do some commercial black sea bass fishing.

6 mins ago, clambellies said:

Yes, he's still in the area.  He was at the Canal Sportsmans Club last week.  He has been using his boat to get out and do some commercial black sea bass fishing.

Thanks.

Interesting how many comm guys have made the switch from stripers to BSB.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Maybe there's just a lot less fish around than there were even 10 years ago.

I've told this to people before and they claim I was lying or nuts.   Some mornings when my buddy and I would chum the rip. After we finished we'd finish our coffee before rigging up and began fishing.   We often noticed that water changed color. Prior to chumming it was a deep green.  Suddenly it had patches of silvery grey.  That was fish. Thousands of them. They followed the chum slick up the rip, and we're now at our feet.  And chunk cast out was an immediate hook up.

Same in the live herring days.  I can't tell you how many times I'd reach into the basket for a live herring.  Hook it on, drop it in the water at my feet, and reach down to close the lid on the basket, and have a twenty pounder nail the herring inches off my boots.

How long would you chum before fishing?  Did you ever bring ground bunker chum, like they sell for sharks?

I might give it a try.  Sounds like it would be a lot of fun if it worked.