Capecod365

Canal Tips?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

When I was comm fishing, chunking was my primary means.  Chunk an entire tide by simply adjusting your rubber core sinker.

We chummed a lot. We had a cutting board. We'd cut our IQF herring on the board, small pieces, so the drift would vary.  We'd pour a couple tablespoons of pogy oil on the chum to enhance it.  

There were days we had so many fish in the rip we'd almost be hand feeding them.  We'd bring about three dozen herring for chum, and two dozen pogies for bait.   I always found the pogy head caught the bigger fish. 

Here was my trick for fishing pogy heads. Hook the head backwards.  Run the hook right behind the gills. Bass all swallow fish head first. The moment the bass took the bait in a drift, it would swallow it. Since the head was already in position, and the bass didn't have to turn it around in it's mouth, and feel the drag of the slack line.

I can talk about chunking all day. I :heart:it.

Grasshopper, as Bob G calls you . Now that you live so near the salt it would be almost necessary to get a boat. Start small. 

52 mins ago, robc22 said:

.........Even after a hot shower I would still smell like a pogy lol...........:)

I found that hot water opened up the pores and let that pogy oil sink further into your skin......making it even more difficult to get rid of that stink..

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

When I was comm fishing, chunking was my primary means.  Chunk an entire tide by simply adjusting your rubber core sinker.

We chummed a lot. We had a cutting board. We'd cut our IQF herring on the board, small pieces, so the drift would vary.  We'd pour a couple tablespoons of pogy oil on the chum to enhance it.  

There were days we had so many fish in the rip we'd almost be hand feeding them.  We'd bring about three dozen herring for chum, and two dozen pogies for bait.   I always found the pogy head caught the bigger fish. 

Here was my trick for fishing pogy heads. Hook the head backwards.  Run the hook right behind the gills. Bass all swallow fish head first. The moment the bass took the bait in a drift, it would swallow it. Since the head was already in position, and the bass didn't have to turn it around in it's mouth, and feel the drag of the slack line.

I can talk about chunking all day. I :heart:it.

I am starting to chunk more as I get older and lazier from the dock. So you are saying to hook the head so the hook tip is facing to what would be the tail of the fish? Speaking of tails - did you ever use them? Some people say dice up the tail section as chum.

18 mins ago, Lemonade said:

I am starting to chunk more as I get older and lazier from the dock. So you are saying to hook the head so the hook tip is facing to what would be the tail of the fish? Speaking of tails - did you ever use them? Some people say dice up the tail section as chum.

Cut the head off right behind the gills.  Instead of hooking it thru the lips as is ordinarily done, hook it through the belly section behind the gills.  Once you get the hang of it you're hook up ratio will increase.

Don't use the tails.  They just spin, twist you're leader. 

11 hours ago, bdowning said:

Chumming and chunking used to be much more widely practiced than it is now. Probably the most effective method at the moment, overall. 

words of wisdom from years of experience gives one a prospective that is with patients a great way to locate and learn the currents in the canal that carry fish during current changes. Peace and prayers

4 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Tails if yo cut the v from it can be very effective and I have landed many a nice size fish with this modification to the tail section over my life time of chunking and drifting bait in the back currents one can locate inside the canal Peace and Prayers

Back in our comm days my buddy and I were almost surgical when preparing our chunk baits.

A pogy would be cut into 4-5 pieces.  I'd even remove the fins with scissors. We wanted a nice piece of bait with a slim profile. 

The fins would cause it to spin. 

When drifting chunks, bass find your bait using scent as much as sight.  One of the most important aspects of chunking is the quality of your bait.  It needs to be impeccably fresh. I mean packed in ice, fish market quality fresh.  Fish don't like sour, old bait.   As Rob already said, most serious chunkers carried coolers down in the rocks with them.  Even three day old pogies packed in ice would be relegated to lobster bait.

Most serious chunkers were minimalists. Besides my bait and cutting board, the only thing I carried was pre rigged leaders, extra hooks, and rubber core sinkers. Also a sharpening stone to sharpen the hook in between fish.  Hooks should always be sticky sharp. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, Joe G said:

Did Gallo’s have shaved ice out back?

Yeah but I always use blue packs for my baits.........I wanna keep that skin slime nice and fresh........but I sure as heck used gallo ice to pack my bass in........Always chuckled when i got rink ice and found a lil blood in it..........Hockey is hockey!

Edited by robc22

I used 25 pound big game trilene and tied direct. Any thicker line and they backed off. Bass have good eyes and fishing the top of the water column they figured things out quick.

Problem was the real big fish........They had you for breakfast if you hooked up with 25 mono. They would get into the shipping channel proper and it was bye bye but any thicker main line they would ignore your bait. Flouro didn't really help............

1 hour ago, robc22 said:

I used 25 pound big game trilene and tied direct. Any thicker line and they backed off. Bass have good eyes and fishing the top of the water column they figured things out quick.

Problem was the real big fish........They had you for breakfast if you hooked up with 25 mono. They would get into the shipping channel proper and it was bye bye but any thicker main line they would ignore your bait. Flouro didn't really help............

17 lb trillene was my favorite, but I never caught any big fish.  Except for one. and it released itself.

10 hours ago, Joe G said:

Did Gallo’s have shaved ice out back?

Yes sir.   Gallo began dumping their rink ice in the early 70s, and it didn't take canal fishermen long to find it.  I used to sell my fish to Roy Beside in Onset back then. Mr Besse was a great guy.   He once told me the availability of free ice at Gallo enabled him to get a better price for his fish in NY.

When I was seriously comm bass fishing in my boat, I needed lots of ice.   Every morning or night when I was on my way to the Islands or CCB, I'd trailer my Sea Ox to Gallo.  Load the boat cooler with ice, and a couple coolers in the back of my truck just in case.

I used to love to chunk fish. Still have the cooler, never did get that cover clean from cutting chunk's on it. However I will respectively disagree on how easy it was. There was a lot of subtly to how to get the chunk to flow into the eddy. When i first started I got schooled by guys in the know. Standing right on the side of them they were catching and I wasn't. I was brought up around a lot of old school striper fisherman so I knew better than to ask what they were doing. Finally I stopped and watched. Realized my bait was floating down current but their lines were going up tide. Then the light went on, took a lot of trial and error with the rubber core sinkers. Donated a lot of gear to the Canal God's but once you figured it out it was game on. Also it was nice to catch them in the middle of the day. Aggree about the minimal aspect. Small bag with hooks, sinkers, knife, file and a stringer rope was all you needed. Haven't done it in years. Bough many a pogy at Cape Cod Charlie's