Capecod365

Canal Tips?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Let me know when you plan on chumming the canal I’d like to set up down current from ya. If that’s ok  because 200 other guys will and some are pretty mean dudes. Be safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Thats how i started, and what im probably going back to.  

Chumming and chunking used to be much more widely practiced than it is now. Probably the most effective method at the moment, overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, bdowning said:

Chumming and chunking used to be much more widely practiced than it is now. Probably the most effective method at the moment, overall. 

I never really chummed much. Mostly just chunked certain spots i could get my bait to drift in a seam or eddy. Almost always caught something on the right tides in the right places 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, robc22 said:

1. Jigging

2. plugging

3. 8 n bait

4. Drifting chunks

 

Figure out what works for you and go with it...........You will eventually catch some nice fish..........Good luck!!

 

I would add fishing live bait but very hard to do these days...........:shrug:

I like option 4 when fishing during the day or taking non fishing family/friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To chum and chunk properly took loads of fresh bait. I would gillnet pogies all night. Was not unusual to go through 6 dozen pogies on a morning tide. I was much younger then but man that cooler would be heavy  to carry. It was worth it though.......Fantastic fishing!

 

I saw and hooked a fish that made my 58 look like a baby. I honestly believe it could of been a world record. Could not turn her at all. Still haunts me to this day........:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, robc22 said:

To chum and chunk properly took loads of fresh bait. I would gillnet pogies all night. Was not unusual to go through 6 dozen pogies on a morning tide. I was much younger then but man that cooler would be heavy  to carry. It was worth it though.......Fantastic fishing!

 

 

 

Rob...72 huh. 

 

Curious......how many chunks did you cut your pogie into, including the head?.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe G said:

 

Rob...72 huh. 

 

Curious......how many chunks did you cut your pogie into, including the head?.

 

Joe you had to rip the gills out of the head otherwise the head would float. I usually saved the back half of the pogy for hook baits..........I would cut some chum small but a fair amount the same size as my hookbaits.

 

I took the chumming/chunking techniques I learned tuna fishing and applied them to bass fishing. Worked well for me.

 

Gillnetting 80 pogies was not hard back in the nineties. I would 8 n bait the bottom at slack tide as well. Like I said I was young then!.......Lottsa energy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kones1 said:

Let me know when you plan on chumming the canal I’d like to set up down current from ya. If that’s ok  because 200 other guys will and some are pretty mean dudes. Be safe. 

Are the mean dudes the ones doing the right thing? I haven’t had to much trouble down there other than a few dirty looks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Capecod365 said:

Are the mean dudes the ones doing the right thing? I haven’t had to much trouble down there other than a few dirty looks. 

You're very young grasshopper.  As soon as you  gain any degree of knowledge, the mean dudes rain on your parade, and look to put you in your place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, robc22 said:

...........I would cut some chum small but a fair amount the same size as my hookbaits.

 

...

 

I always cut my chum small.

 

Don't know about you Rob, but I cut out and fashioned a medium size clorox container and attached it to a 2' stick to throw out my chum.   

 

I loved those drifting chunk days..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, Joe G said:

 

I always cut my chum small.

 

Don't know about you Rob, but I cut out and fashioned a medium size clorox container and attached it to a 2' stick to throw out my chum.   

 

I loved those drifting chunk days..

Ahhhh.......I would just cut and toss.........Even after a hot shower I would still smell like a pogy lol.......but I was young and catching fish so I was happy.........I use to stash small sections of plywood in my fishing spots so I would always have a cutting board............:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do small chunks for chum-fillet then dice. Hook bait is bigger. 
 

Rob-that’s the reason I don’t do it more often, I don’t smell right for days! 

Yet if I have a family member from out of town, or a college buddy who hasn’t fished in some time it’s awesome. Plus inline circles are idiot proof. Last two trips every single fish was lip hooked. Only one bleeder the trip before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 mins ago, robc22 said:

........I use to stash small sections of plywood in my fishing spots so I would always have a cutting board............:)

 Yep, I did the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Running Ape said:

... 
 

Rob-that’s the reason I don’t do it more often, I don’t smell right for days! 

...

Try the stainless steel treatment on your hands.   ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.