Capecod365

Canal Tips?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Moved to Cape Cod a few months ago. Learning to fish the canal is unbelievably hard for a newbie. I have gone twenty times or so. I have fun but leave down a plug and no bites. 

Any tips or tricks would be helpful. 

Buy some dead fish, pogies, macs, whatever. Chop into pieces. Throw pieces into canal one by one every minute or three. Place a single piece on CIRCLE hook and cast out with no weight allowing bait to flow naturally with the current. Continue chumming. Eventually you will catch a decent fish. 

Use the search feature here. There is a ton of useful information. 

There are 3 primary ways to fish:

- Jigging

- Plugging

- Bait

I would focus on one at a time. 

1 hour ago, Capecod365 said:

Moved to Cape Cod a few months ago. Learning to fish the canal is unbelievably hard for a newbie. I have gone twenty times or so. I have fun but leave down a plug and no bites. 

Any tips or tricks would be helpful. 

Capecod 365 first welcome to SOL . Patience is one of the best things to learn when fishing the canal . As has been pointed out you have three ways to fish these waters and one should attempt to learn them all in a progressive manner . Jigging is one way as is plugging and dead sticking with bait. At times you can do two during a fishing experience or all three. Learning how to drift bait or dead sticking bait on the bottom is an art form all by itself and for me one of the best way to better understand the way the currents move and also how to better feel out the bottom to find some of the structures that big momma will be hiding in.  Jigging is learned by doing and learning what is the best way for you jig the bottom and what to do once you are on the bottom. You will lose jigs during this experience that will be part of the learning curve as well as when you are dead sticking bait on the bottom or drifting . Always experiment when in doubt and do not be afraid to try somethings others may not be doing. That goes for colors, sizes, and motions , especially with jigs and plugs. Peace and Prayers 

Jigging the canal successfully and learning the spots generally requires multiple seasons and many, many nights. Not a quick learning curve.

Getting onto a dawn bite is much easier. For one, the fish often show themselves. Bait and birds and bass on the surface reveal where the action is. So it's only a matter of getting down there for dawn and moving around quickly if nothing is happening at the spot you're at shortly after sunup.

If you fish dawn enough you'll catch.

Of course, the crowds at dawn can be offputting to many, so there's the tradeoff.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1. Jigging

2. plugging

3. 8 n bait

4. Drifting chunks

Figure out what works for you and go with it...........You will eventually catch some nice fish..........Good luck!!

I would add fishing live bait but very hard to do these days...........:shrug:

Edited by robc22

6 hours ago, Running Ape said:

Buy some dead fish, pogies, macs, whatever. Chop into pieces. Throw pieces into canal one by one every minute or three. Place a single piece on CIRCLE hook and cast out with no weight allowing bait to flow naturally with the current. Continue chumming. Eventually you will catch a decent fish. 

Thats how i started, and what im probably going back to.  

9 hours ago, Running Ape said:

Ps I write this a few times a year in each and every canal help thread. No one tries it 

I have seen this work, i never tried this method.