AaronWilde

Help deciding on Surf baitcaster

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2020 at 4:19 PM, Stewie said:

If you are going to take waves to the chest, your best bet would be to ditch the levelwind. It doesn't take a tiny sand particle long to destroy a pawl, or worm. My current favorite is the Penn Fathom12, but, unfortunately, they don't make a lefty. Look or an old Abu 5000 or 5500 from before the instant anti reverse tragedy, and either remove the traveler and the plastic gear that drives the worm, or find a CT cage. If you remove the leveling parts, be sure to leave the worm, but gob a bunch of grease on the ends to keep saltwater out of the guts, A CT 500 allows acceleration close to that of a spinning reel

Penn is coming out with lefty squalls in all sizes.

Also, did you see that there is a Penn Fathom 8 coming out?

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Penn is coming out with lefty squalls in all sizes.

Also, did you see that there is a Penn Fathom 8 coming out?

I'm glad that Penn had decided to sell reels to those that are backward, It'll stop some of the whining. Good move Penn!   My F12 is small enough for me, but again, good move Penn!  Glad to have you guys back in the game

On 8/4/2020 at 11:56 AM, Surf bomber said:

Diawa 7 ht on  a 12 ft  from the shore line , at high tide you probably can cast past the folks that are wading.not a level wind and don't  dunk it.

Once I could no longer wade, having given the ABU Brutes to charity, I replaced them with a Daiwa Tournament Millionaire 7HT Mag and a ABU 6500c3 that is tricked out with ceramic bearings, home made Knobby Mag and a Rocket Reel Ct Frame ("Rocket Cage") .  For throwing plugs, I use a St. Croix 10ft Ben Doerr Elite (1-4oz) and a 10.5ft Century Sling Shot (2-5oz) blank respectively,  Both Built on a Fuji NGC conventional guide layout using Alconite guides. Pretty much does get me past the waders, especially the Daiwa/Century setup using 2.5 to 3oz.  I no longer can spend hours searching using a 12ft rod - I save those for breaking fish.