AaronWilde

Help deciding on Surf baitcaster

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, rdiezel said:

Well I did not pretrip the reel but did rinse it right after fishing jetties., thinking it would be okay. Next trip , took a cast and jig didn’t even make it 20yds, bearings just screamed lol. But I’ve been waiting for many months for the bearings now.

well then,my sharing of the pretrip thread has not gone to waste.

any bearing will do what yours did if it is not washed out after a session nevermind just rinsing it with water.

also,as I said if you gave them a rinse and a drop of oil each time before you go they will remain well.

I don't remember how to find the pretrip link but,i am sure someone will chime in or share it.

it is an important thing to do.

your bearings screeched because they were dry and prolly had salt in them.

def not good either way.

hope you'll find the thread and apply it to your reel.

HH

ps-just rinsing will not get the salty water out of the bearings,you must rinse the reels inners out with fresh water.

after the pre trip you can even submerge the reel in freshwater to rinse the insides out.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/26/2020 at 8:56 PM, rdiezel said:

Lexus do not like saltwater, I have a 400hd and am still waiting for the bearings to come in. If you’re taking waves, do not use a bait caster.

I found a diff tutorial but,the same reel.

just use the after the part where he cleans everything then coats it with grease.

from there forward you'll be good to go.

I did it 5 times so far and not a single problem.

I also greased my 2 more than he did.

Edited by TimS
Please don’t send folks to other forums - thanks :-)

On 7/27/2020 at 5:10 AM, AaronWilde said:

You can't just slip the IAR bearing out on Abu ambassadeurs. You need some sort of mechanical press as it is pressed into the side plate. I try lightly cleaning it by lubing it then running cloth through and turning the cloth in a circle like the clutch sleeve would do, and it gets the grit out however, it bends the small plastic bearing springs that engage the IAR as they are incredibly delicate. Clearly it is designed to be a failure point so you have to buy a new one or it'd be easier to access or non plastic..

Thanks for the advice. Considering beach season only has another month, or month and a half at best here, and shipping is quite slow at the moment (especially to Canada), I will look into these reels for next summer. It sounds like you're saying what the guys and old timers on the beach say about Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5500 reels. Old design, very very simple inside, and easy to break down for maintenance.

My problem is I am not as perfect at keeping it dry. The "top rods" (guys who catch most of the fish) with baitcasters have perfect cast/line control. Stopping their cast before it hits the water so that the line pulls tight and the belly of the line doesn't slap the water and pick up water as they reel. Combined with keeping their rod tip lifted quite high as they reel and there isn't a as much water wicking up the line and down into the reel as if you just cast without paying attention and have your rod tip down as you reel (your line all be wet and bringing tons of water back to your reel).

One guy who takes summer off to catch Coho daily there just decimates the beach with an Abu 5501 C3. He services it once a week and fishes it 8 hours a day 7 days a week casting lures, but he is so perfect with line control that hardly any water comes up the line and it stays fairly dry, it's pretty amazing. Takes skill.

I'm not sure what to do with all this advice. Sounds like these fancy low pros would just be a hassle as they are complicated to take apart in comparison to older style round reels and they will get water in them just as badly lol

I wouldn’t say the ABU 5500 or 6500 are old timer reels, it’s just preference.  They cast far and are easy to take apart and clean. These reels are adequate for most beach fish. Servicing one is 20 minute job. Even removing and installing new AR bearings isn’t too difficult. If ABU is your thing, buy the dies once for knocking out the AR. 

LP reels are not a heck of a lot different from round reels. I’ve used Daiwa, Shimano, Abu, and 13 Fishing, and I have yet to find one that I couldn’t get back together. There are a lot more small parts in an LP than a 6500. You get more drag out of an LP and you can find higher gear ratios which may not matter with big surf lures or weights since you are better off in the surf with about 5.3:1.

I keep my reels high and dry when surf fishing saltwater and service them each week. The reel I use when I know I’ll be getting wet is an old 704z that I converted to manual pick up. There is likely no easier reel to clean.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 6:10 AM, AaronWilde said:

You can't just slip the IAR bearing out on Abu ambassadeurs. You need some sort of mechanical press as it is pressed into the side plate. I try lightly cleaning it by lubing it then running cloth through and turning the cloth in a circle like the clutch sleeve would do, and it gets the grit out however, it bends the small plastic bearing springs that engage the IAR as they are incredibly delicate. Clearly it is designed to be a failure point so you have to buy a new one or it'd be easier to access or non plastic..

Thanks for the advice. Considering beach season only has another month, or month and a half at best here, and shipping is quite slow at the moment (especially to Canada), I will look into these reels for next summer. It sounds like you're saying what the guys and old timers on the beach say about Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5500 reels. Old design, very very simple inside, and easy to break down for maintenance.

My problem is I am not as perfect at keeping it dry. The "top rods" (guys who catch most of the fish) with baitcasters have perfect cast/line control. Stopping their cast before it hits the water so that the line pulls tight and the belly of the line doesn't slap the water and pick up water as they reel. Combined with keeping their rod tip lifted quite high as they reel and there isn't a as much water wicking up the line and down into the reel as if you just cast without paying attention and have your rod tip down as you reel (your line all be wet and bringing tons of water back to your reel).

One guy who takes summer off to catch Coho daily there just decimates the beach with an Abu 5501 C3. He services it once a week and fishes it 8 hours a day 7 days a week casting lures, but he is so perfect with line control that hardly any water comes up the line and it stays fairly dry, it's pretty amazing. Takes skill.

I'm not sure what to do with all this advice. Sounds like these fancy low pros would just be a hassle as they are complicated to take apart in comparison to older style round reels and they will get water in them just as badly lol

I don't hold my rod tip up at all,it is always pointed in the direction the line is and my reels get plenty of water on them.

never had any problems with any of them at all and I have quite a few.

as I said they get a bath in the shower and before I go out the bearings get a drop of oil.

that helps keep water from doing any bad things.

you can buy another on of what you have and you will have the same problems over again.

hope you don't but,,you know how it is.

good luck with the repeat.

HH

6 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I don't hold my rod tip up at all,it is always pointed in the direction the line is and my reels get plenty of water on them.

never had any problems with any of them at all and I have quite a few.

as I said they get a bath in the shower and before I go out the bearings get a drop of oil.

that helps keep water from doing any bad things.

you can buy another on of what you have and you will have the same problems over again.

hope you don't but,,you know how it is.

good luck with the repeat.

HH

Yeah I ordered another Abu. The 5501 c3 this time. I already have ceramic bearing upgrades in my old reel I can swap into it. My gears are what went on my old one. I will service it more often this time. I notice that the gears side get a bit wet and the one bearing on the gear side, so I will follow yours and others advice to clean them and maintain them far more often, daily if I have to.

7 mins ago, AaronWilde said:

Yeah I ordered another Abu. The 5501 c3 this time. I already have ceramic bearing upgrades in my old reel I can swap into it. My gears are what went on my old one. I will service it more often this time. I notice that the gears side get a bit wet and the one bearing on the gear side, so I will follow yours and others advice to clean them and maintain them far more often, daily if I have to.

okay,that will work,just a drop of 3-in-1 oil before you go out will help it a lot.

I have been fishing saltwater since 1978 and doing winch reels for 26 years,I have had 1 bearing seize on the cast,it was swapped out the same day.

it also spun the adjustment capon the handle side,had to replace that sideplate as well.

it was due to a tiny piece of junk that got in and jammed it.

fixed that with a sealed bearing and all is good.

HH

11 hours ago, AaronWilde said:

you do grease the gear teeth all the way around right?

HH

22 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

you do grease the gear teeth all the way around right?

HH

Yes I grease the teeth all the way around, sometimes I will spin it and do a 2nd layer even lol. The local fisherman say the abu c4 6.3:1 gears wear out as they are faster ratio and that the c3  5.3:1 gears are longer lasting. I fish a lot more than most people though so that's part of it. I fish minimum 150 days a year and often 8 hours or longer. I got my new abu 5501 c3 today, put my ceramic bearings and levelwind bearings in and broke it in today on the beach.. got a 15lb Chinook and a 5lb Coho salmon. :D

5 hours ago, AaronWilde said:

Yes I grease the teeth all the way around, sometimes I will spin it and do a 2nd layer even lol. The local fisherman say the abu c4 6.3:1 gears wear out as they are faster ratio and that the c3  5.3:1 gears are longer lasting. I fish a lot more than most people though so that's part of it. I fish minimum 150 days a year and often 8 hours or longer. I got my new abu 5501 c3 today, put my ceramic bearings and levelwind bearings in and broke it in today on the beach.. got a 15lb Chinook and a 5lb Coho salmon. :D

okay,you are on track then.

you stay on it and when they are there,you be there!

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 3:04 PM, AaronWilde said:

Hey guys, Sorry to beat a dead horse some more but I was hoping to get some help with deciding what baitcaster to buy next.

I fish the surf for Coho and Chinook, and sometimes off a rock jetty but just as often I am waded to my knees and being pounded by waves.

I've been using Daiwa BG which is amazing for its salt resistant qualities in the meantime, and Abu Ambassadeur 5601 C3 which take a beating and stop working so fast, even with maintenance. It's always the anti-reverse bearings that stop working and can't really be maintained since the bearing housing is plastic with little plastic V springs which bend when you try to clean them, or the main gears end up going. I maintain them every few days sometimes but it doesn't seem to matter as water wicks up my line and directly into the reel or waves hit me and get it wet, and the thing just lets water right in. I fish the surf hard in the summer, sometimes 8 hours a day,5 days a week casting lures from 7 grams to about 28 grams (ounce) max. 

I would like a casting reel as I can get further distance with 15lb mono and I land far more Coho on mono as they flip around like crazy at the shore and pop off with braid. Spinning works with 20lb braid for distance but I find I lose more fish on it even with a mono shock leader. 

I've read tons over the past week on these and other forums and have come to the conclusion that there is no salt sealed baitcaster as the spool needs to be free to spin, so water will always enter there.

I am leaning towards a Daiwa lexa 300 HD Left hand, or a Daiwa Coastal tws 200 left hand/ sv tw 150 left hand, or an Abu revo 4 inshore. I am sort of leaning towards the lexa 300 HD but I just can't choose. If they all will take water and need maintenance I am even tempted to just replace the 5601 c3 parts but it's very annoying having to buy a whole new side plate for 40$ to replace the anti-reverse (I don't have access to a press to press the bearing out, I am in an apartment), and new gears for 50$. Almost may as well buy a whole new reel at that point.

Any advice is appreciated, open to other reels too. I am in Canada. Looking to spend 300$ Canadian, could got a little over. Looking for sheer casting distance with 7 grams to 20 grams on average (sinker with 6 foot leader to a weightless size 5 spinner), salt will be getting into the reel so maybe ease of maintenance, and DURABILITY of the parts being the most important I reckon. 

Thanks!!!

one brand I forgot to mention to you,have a look at tica,i have 2 of their reels and they have been solid since new.

swapped out the drags to carbons and it's all a go.

search tica usa.

HH

Once upon a time I only fished Canyon Big Game Fly Reels, VS Spinners and Conventionals. I only enjoyed surf fishing if I was in the surf, and only enjoyed throwing metal with a conventional.  I had two ABU 6600 Brute Baitcasters, known for having bronze bearings instead of ball bearings, and a dogged Anti-Reverse vice a IAR Bearing.  I bought a CT conversion bar from a custom reel guy in South Carolina, removed the brake blocks in favor of a mono-mag, and packed the handle side with ABU reel grease.  Those reels took waves with no issues what so ever, which freaked out guys using VS's next to me.  When I could not take waves anymore, I gave them to charity.

0502151530a.jpg

0502151530.jpg

0502151529a.jpg

0502151529.jpg

Edited by FlatWing

8 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

one brand I forgot to mention to you,have a look at tica,i have 2 of their reels and they have been solid since new.

swapped out the drags to carbons and it's all a go.

search tica usa.

HH

Those reels look good. So similar to Abu round reels! 

3 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Once upon a time I only fished Canyon Big Game Fly Reels, VS Spinners and Conventionals. I only enjoyed surf fishing if I was in the surf, and only enjoyed throwing metal with a conventional.  I had two ABU 6600 Brute Baitcasters, known for having bronze bearings instead of ball bearings, and a dogged Anti-Reverse vice a IAR Bearing.  I bought a CT conversion bar from a custom reel guy in South Carolina, removed the brake blocks in favor of a mono-mag, and packed the handle side with ABU reel grease.  Those reels took waves with no issues what so ever, which freaked out guys using VS's next to me.  When I could not take waves anymore, I gave them to charity.

0502151530a.jpg

0502151530.jpg

0502151529a.jpg

0502151529.jpg

Wow, now that is a custom, haha. What is the CT conversion bar for? I wonder if I can still get a mono-mag to replace my brake blocks, and if it would really change much? I already cast a mile with my 5501 c3 and ceramics, and I don't have birdsnest problems. I use 2 brakes out of the 6, and just keep my thumb on the spool always. Been throwing 20 gram sinkers mostly. I'm also curious what your reel would look like inside with it packed full of grease on the handle side? Inside the handle side I put grease all over anywhere water may come in from. I don't put a ton though, a thin layer.

5 hours ago, AaronWilde said:

Wow, now that is a custom, haha. What is the CT conversion bar for? I wonder if I can still get a mono-mag to replace my brake blocks, and if it would really change much? I already cast a mile with my 5501 c3 and ceramics, and I don't have birdsnest problems. I use 2 brakes out of the 6, and just keep my thumb on the spool always. Been throwing 20 gram sinkers mostly. I'm also curious what your reel would look like inside with it packed full of grease on the handle side? Inside the handle side I put grease all over anywhere water may come in from. I don't put a ton though, a thin layer.

the ticas have an ring that restricts water from getting inside the gearbox.

it's between the gearset and the frame.

it def does help keep water out of there.

many times after a session or after giving it a bath in the shower I would take it down and give ti a shot of oil on the bearings,,it would be dry in there while the frame side of the ring was wet.

I'm not claiming it is sealed but,it def is a deterrent for water.

on my caimen 201 I bought both new and after an entire season I opened it for servicing and it was like brand new inside,not a hint of water intrusion or gunk or anything.

I have the LE-201SS and the caimen 201,black model.

they don't have the massive sized gears but,they do work very well.

HH

8 hours ago, AaronWilde said:

CT Conversion Bar gets rid of the level wind, which will jam up on a grain or two of sand. Sorry, do not have any pictures of the inside, and I gave both reels to charity when I could no longer take hits from waves.

Diawa 7 ht on  a 12 ft  from the shore line , at high tide you probably can cast past the folks that are wading.not a level wind and don't  dunk it.