Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Dying pogies

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, FishermanTim said:

Can't do that anymore.

Now it's : Snag, reel in, remove from treble, re-hook on correct circle hook, cast back out and THEN get ready....

That would be nice but I believe there is actually an exception to the circle hook rule for snag and drop

12 hours ago, Two Rock said:

That would be nice but I believe there is actually an exception to the circle hook rule for snag and drop

I’m pretty sure that isn’t true.  Here’s the only exception on the mass dmf website:

Recreational anglers are now required to use in-line circle hooks when fishing with whole or cut natural baits. An inline circle hook is defined as a fishing hook designed and manufactured so that the point of the hook is not offset from the shank and bend and is turned perpendicularly back towards the shank to form a circular or oval shape. DMF's Circle Hook Brochure has additional information about this gear.

Exempt from this requirement are recreational anglers fishing aboard a for-hire vessel during a for-hire trip and recreational anglers fishing with a natural bait affixed to an artificial lure that is to be cast and retrieved, trolled, or vertically jigged (e.g., tube and worm).”

12 hours ago, Two Rock said:

Also, this was in the frequently asked questions:

12. Can I still snag menhaden for bait?

Yes, but once you’ve snagged a menhaden (generally using a treble hook), you’ll need to transfer it to a circle hook to be used as bait to target striped bass. Once on a circle hook, you can fish the menhaden by live-lining it or as chunk bait. The technique known as "snag and drop" when you snag a menhaden then immediately live line it on the treble hook is now prohibited.