Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Dying pogies

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Yesterday while crabbing in a popular river. Saw a 12" pogie floating but still alive. Netting it review no scar but some brown spot on it's scale. Didn't seems to be hurt but still alive and shaking.

What could be the reason causing this? Low oxygen?

Low oxygen will kill them by the thousands. Bass love 'em, but they are not the brightest fish.....when the water gets too warm and the oxygen levels drop, they react by schooling up and moving to skinny water, where the water is warmer and there is less oxygen.  :angel:

They like marinas for some reason, I've seen a lot of dead bunkas in marinas.

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

Yesterday while crabbing in a popular river. Saw a 12" pogie floating but still alive. Netting it review no scar but some brown spot on it's scale. Didn't seems to be hurt but still alive and shaking.

What could be the reason causing this? Low oxygen?

Didja do mouth to mouth CPR? 

15 hours ago, Ed White said:

Low oxygen will kill them by the thousands. Bass love 'em, but they are not the brightest fish.....when the water gets too warm and the oxygen levels drop, they react by schooling up and moving to skinny water, where the water is warmer and there is less oxygen.  :angel:

They like marinas for some reason, I've seen a lot of dead bunkas in marinas.

Quite a number showing belly up at the State Police Marine Unit dockage area.

Get ready for the smell. :upck:Back when there were a lot more blues around, they'd speed up the process by driving the pogies into coves, causing massive die offs. The stink was enough to knock you over. 

20 years ago or so one of the Dennis CCB beaches had to be cleared with front end loaders to remove the rotting pogies driven ashore by blues.

12" is a big bait. It might died of old age? The brown spot was from not wearing sunblock and taking in too much sun on the surface. He wanted a viking funeral but did not have any matches. 

That or simply that someone's 1/2 dead bait fell off their hook? They are pretty hearty but when you button their lips with a hook they will slowly die.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I saw some at another river last week. After the tide changed and the river started emptying, scores of bunker started floating out.

It was 3:30 AM, I called it quits. There were blues out there whittling down my eels. But after I saw the dead bunker I figured time to leave.

Edited by TroutGhost

The heat of the day will affect the temperature of the water and as it does less oxygen is available for the fish and critters that survive in it. It is not uncommon to have large fish kills when the water temperatures increase . It even gets more critical when the blue fish or bass drive them as they feed on them as a resource during this period as well. Last year the oxygen levels out in the bay resulted in large lobster losses once they were trapped in the traps along with other fish as well. Peace and Prayers

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 11:08 AM, capequahog said:

pogies, snag one, leave on and get ready 

Can't do that anymore.

Now it's : Snag, reel in, remove from treble, re-hook on correct circle hook, cast back out and THEN get ready....