Ben Lippen

MLB as it is right now...

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Not for me. I just wasted an hour watching the Yanks vs. Nats.

Past how I hate inter-league play, It was worse than watching a  soccer match.  And the fake fan noise did nothing but remind me that there are no fans. 

Don't play if fans cant come.

I saw the Mick and Bobby Murcer play at the stadium. Lifelong fan, but this is not a thing I'm gonna watch or even follow.

Who cares what happens at the end of the "season". It's all gonna be another asterisk at best. 

I expect I'll feel the same way if the NFL actually starts up. 

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

Past how I hate inter-league play, It was worse than watching a  soccer match.  And the fake fan noise did nothing but remind me that there are no fans. 

I saw the Mick and Bobby Murcer play at the stadium. Lifelong fan, but this is not a thing I'm gonna watch or even follow.

Who cares what happens at the end of the "season". It's all gonna be another asterisk at best. 

Like you, I to am a life long Yankee fan. Saw Mantle, Marris, ang Yogi play, probably saw Don Larsin pitch his perfect game but don't really remember as I was only 5 or six. Unlike you I'm enjoying watching the games. My hearing is so bad I I can't hear fake fan noise so it doesn't bother me.Damn, Gardner just flied out, Hicks up now, bye.

I don’t mind it - gives me a needed diversion when I’m not out casting.  

I'm waiting for football, too much stuff going on right now to worry about MLB. More of a sox fan. 

I did catch a Don Mattingly game-winning home run ball in old Yankee stadium though

It’s ok by me. I won’t be able to sit in yankee stadium this year but I am glad they are playing. 

I went to a high school game to see my nephew a couple weeks ago.  That will probably be the extent of live baseball for me this year. 

Almost NOTHING is America is acceptable the way it is right now because of COVID.

I gotta wear a mask, gloves and face shield at work.

I have to wear a mask in the stores, and nothing is the same.

Sports was gone, and now is back in severely hampered form.

My kids aren't going back to school in person, including the one starting college next month.

Can't eat out, and the limited outside dining sucks.

I haven't seen my parents since February.

Everything sucks,and I'm taking what small concessions we can get as we can get them.

Sports is back with a stupid schedule, no fans, and it's just "not right," but hell, it's better than nothing, and I'll take it.

I cant wait for hockey to start, but I'm afraid that I'l' have the same lack of intrigue about it. 

16 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

The season will end and the asterisk in the book will denote "season ended due to lack of healthy players".

Even if it doesn't end that way it will be the ultimate letdown for fans.  Better to not have the season than to let it go on in this manner.

It's all about the money, so I hope that so much money is lost that the salaries end up being reduced by a lot.

10 mins ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

The season will end and the asterisk in the book will denote "season ended due to lack of healthy players".

Even if it doesn't end that way it will be the ultimate letdown for fans.  Better to not have the season than to let it go on in this manner.

It's all about the money, so I hope that so much money is lost that the salaries end up being reduced by a lot.

Just remember when “it’s all about the money” that means more people are working and that is a good thing now.  

I gave up at the trade deadline last year when the Sox did nothing to improve their pitching lineup. I'm not listening (was a big radio baseball fan), not keeping track of wins/losses. I guess I just don't care anymore. No fans is certainly the last straw. I wonder if there will even be a 2021 season?

11 mins ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

We don't know that the season will end because of lack of healthy players, nothing there based on facts. Secondly, we have a competitive game of pros that we can watch and enjoy, not wanting to enjoy is a trait of todays society, if folks take a sideways opinion, you can't get even a little compromise out of them.

I watched 2 Yankee games and 2 Met games, enjoyed them except for the national  broadcast teams, thats the sound I would like to shut off. I will say this, game seems to move along better, pitchers are getting the ball and throwing not walking scratching their arses.  Having Darling, Hernandez and Cohen in the booth is a blessing, I'm a Yankee fan by birth, however O'Neill, Cone, Kay and the other goofball are corny and won't criticize anything Yankee and can bore you to death. 

I will treat this like a 60 day pennant race, everyday is important, every team is still in it, lets see who comes up big and who shats the bed, thats what competitive pro sports is all about, you don't like that, take up whittling. 

As for the $$$ aspect, salaries been going up for 40 years, for 60 game seasons with no fans in the seats, these guys are making almost 70% of salary. Do you think the owners are taking a loss just to give us baseball? They didn't get rich by giving away $$$. There is more $$$ than we could ever imagine, don't begrudge the player for getting his share, begrudge the owner for charging you $150 a seat, $12 for a beer, $8 for a hot dog, and $40 to park, and then they get a fortune from TV and merchandising. Shouldn't the players share? Only a fraction ever make the big leagues, most stay 2-3 years, of course its good money, isn't all of top entertainment well paid? I'd rather see a young player make $$ than a rich old owner putting more on their piles.

I for one and glad its back and hope it ends well, despite the wacky playoff rules, top 2 from each division and 2 Wild Cards from each league, getting like hockey, almost everybody gets a chance. Lets hope that doesn't stay in place. Like the DH, its time, like the extra inning rule with a runner on 2nd automatically, who wants to wait 21 innings for a run?