Tin Boat

Cortland Big Game Intermediate

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found an old, used Cortland Big Game 8w Intermediate fly line in a drawer where it had been buried for years and decided to try it again . Wow! It is the best casting line in my arsenal. Fishes well, too. And is still in excellent condition. Anyone know if there is a source for these lines? Or if there is a modern day equivalent? I've got Airflo, RIO and Wulff intermediates, but they're not as good in mho. 

Edited by Tin Boat

Yep, that was (is) a great line and was very popular for albies. Pretty sure it is currently marketed by Cortland in their Classic Series as the Clear Camo Intermediate - it's not really clear, but it is camo just like the line you have.  Local fly shops should be able to order it, or try Bear's Den mail order.  You can also buy direct from Cortland. 

Fishing the Clear Intermediate last few months and really like it.

Their welded in loop did pop. Fortunately not with a fish on it. I let customer service know. They offered me a replacement which I refused as I looped in my own. They did send me a hat, leader and various stickers....all good 

7 hours ago, brushfly said:

Fishing the Clear Intermediate last few months and really like it.

Their welded in loop did pop.

I need to stop being lazy, cut the loops and tie an albright special

48 mins ago, Tin Boat said:

This is the line I am referring to.  Color: white. No factory loops. Price $45.00 Date: ?

IMG_3971.jpeg.1160719a49b61766e711b6362d335d14.jpeg

I use this line in an 8 weight, it is an older version. Mine sinks a bit slower than most of the clear lines and feels very true to line weight (I don't overline). Great flats line. The only one I was able to find was on the big auction site, seems all the others are that camo/Little Tunny line. It's a challenge when they use the same name for different lines...

Can anyone confirm that the Cortlabd Big Game is now the Cortland Clear Camo.  The Clear Camo looks like a intermediated with a nice long head.

Seems like there were two (maybe more?) Cortland intermediates labelled and boxed as BIg Game lines over the past several years - the clear (no color at all) and the clear camo with alternating. I believe both have similar rocket tapers.  Maybe call Richard Nicoletti Consumer Relations, at Cortland - 607.756.2851 ext 118 or email RNicoletti@cortlandline.com.

My understanding is that the original 555 Little Tunny intermediate camo became the Precision Little Tunny Intermediate, then the Precision Big Game Intermediate and then the latest version is the Classic Series Clear Camo Intermediate.  All had alternating greenish/brownish tints in the "clear" line, although the new line is a bit darker. 

Hopefully Rich can clear this up for you.

Much appreciate.  I have the Clear Camo in 9 wt and am about to possibly pick up another one in 10 wt for some longer distance stuff.  I think it's true to wt with the rocket taper but so far I really haven't fished it much.  I'm looking for some opinions on how it fishes.  Frankly, I should just take it out this week and get it wet.

the big game comes in two dif tapers,one for up to 7 wt and a different taper,shorter and heavier,from 8wt on up,both pretty close to "true" weight