8ft Casting Rods, 1/4oz-3/4oz rating?

5 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I looked at this rod and have thought about it for some time, the price is quite off putting at first glance. But, that one rod would literally replace all 4 of my walleye/multi-species outfits in one shot.

My current rod selection covers me from about 1/8oz up to 2oz.

The concept of this rod is very tempting.

I have a pic somewhere with a dink brown trout caught on the west branch....abu bfs reel and 1/16 yozuri......had no issues....setup weighs less than many 7' light action spinning setups. Not that I'd recommend it...but it worked

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

7 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I have a pic somewhere with a dink brown trout caught on the west branch....abu bfs reel and 1/16 yozuri......had no issues....setup weighs less than many 7' light action spinning setups. Not that I'd recommend it...but it worked

That isn't bad at all.

If I go the route of this rod, I might as well sell a good portion of my gear. Just some things I would have to consider.

I decided a can't justify the price of the Steez rod at this time, but still looks like a great all around option. Maybe sometime down the road.

I noticed that Diawa does have an 8ft Tatula rated for 3/8oz to 1.5oz and St. Croix has the new 7ft6in Mojo Inshore rated from 1/8oz to 1/2oz.

I decided to go with the Mojo Inshore at this time. The length is 6in less then I want, but the rod has a perfect lure weight for what I need.

I picked up the Diawa Tatula 100 to pair with the rod. Should match up well.

I will say I really wanted the Tatula SV TW103 at first, but Tackle Warehouse wanted $41 for shipping. Then I started looking at the Tatula 100 which seemed like it would work well for what I wanted for less.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Even though the Tatula 100 is already ordered, I would still like to hear if any one has any experiences with the reel. My understanding is that the reel is very compact. Should I have just gone with the SV TW103?

And, how good is it at casting light lures down to 1/4oz?

I was going to spool the reel with 15lb braid.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

St Croix might have some options in some of the inshore series. I know Avids and TMs both have a few models that are long and throw light. Not sure if the action will be to your needs/preference though.

Edited by BG_NJ

On 11/14/2020 at 0:28 AM, BG_NJ said:

St Croix might have some options in some of the inshore series. I know Avids and TMs both have a few models that are long and throw light. Not sure if the action will be to your needs/preference though.

The new St. Croix 7ft6in ML Mojo Inshore is what I ended up picking up.

I am hitting 33yds at the top end of my casts with the 7ft6in ML Mojo Inshore paired to the Diawa Tatula 100 with 10lb braid mainline casting a 1/4oz jig with a 4in Keitech. 

This is actually perfect for what I needed, even though I miss that 8ft length.

I will probably switch the braid over to mono for the fall and winter it the line starts sticking, that or try treating the line as Ahab suggested. Since this set-up is primarily going to be a jigging set-up I would rather stick to braided line as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

The new St. Croix 7ft6in ML Mojo Inshore is what I ended up picking up.

Sounds like a fun setup with the Tat 100. You can pretty much do all the finesse stuff you want for bass without breaking out a spinning rod. Enjoy fishing it

• 2 weeks later...

The St. Croix Mojo Inshore 7ft 6in ML is a little less sensitive then preferable for jigging then I would ideally like, but it makes up for that in castability as well as cushion preventing the hooks from tearing out, especially when walleye slam the lure 5ft from your feet.

The rod loads up perfectly at 3/8oz, but it also enjoys casting 1/4oz too.

Since the action is moderate, not a lot of effort is required to launch a jig or jerk bait way out. This is quite beneficial at night time in the dark when you want to avoid backlashes from trying to cast for the moon as much as possible.

The Tatula 100 pairs perfectly with the rod. It is a very tame caster, but with the rod, achieves excellent distances with the jig weights I use most frequently (1/4oz and 3/8oz).

I measured 33yds on multiple casting attempts with a 1/4oz jighead and a 4in Keitech.

The reel feels rather rattlily and was interestingly not very smooth out of the box. By comparison, my Komodo 273SS with its stainless steel on stainless steel was much smoother out of the box.

I did have the opportunity to see just how good the drag works with a large fish and the drag functioned smoothly throughout the run. I wish I could have landed the fish, but the braid broke after being drug across some submerged rock edges.