Beastly Backlash

8ft Casting Rods, 1/4oz-3/4oz rating?

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Odd that you would think a salmon/steelhead rod would be to soft, bass and especially walleye aren't squat compared to the fight found in either fish, I've used both in Florida on the species found there. My lightest hot shot rod makes a superior bonefish rod, another fish that would turn the one's your after inside out. It's caught salmon to 25 lbs. and is a great Lindy rig rod for walleye. Look at the Lamiglas short XCC rods, or the hot shot rods for the power you need, many hot shot rods have x fast tips it that is what you want and a very wide range of lure weights and types that they fish well. G Loomis has the same exact blanks designed for the above, also configured differently for walleye and inshore saltwater use. The XCC blanks aren't as fast, but are built on composite materials and are very durable and surprisingly light.

Edited by spoonplugger1

I also have a hot shot blank. I have the 7’6” MHX X-fast. I originally built it casting and could throw a small Pop-R on it with no issues. It has a good back end and can go heavier than it’s rating, which was something like 1/8–3/8 or so. 5/8 oz would be fine, I would think. 

They make two 8’ blanks as well, both rated fast, which is a more versatile action. 

14 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Odd that you would think a salmon/steelhead rod would be to soft, bass and especially walleye aren't squat compared to the fight found in either fish, I've used both in Florida on the species found there. My lightest hot shot rod makes a superior bonefish rod, another fish that would turn the one's your after inside out. It's caught salmon to 25 lbs. and is a great Lindy rig rod for walleye. Look at the Lamiglas short XCC rods, or the hot shot rods for the power you need, many hot shot rods have x fast tips it that is what you want and a very wide range of lure weights and types that they fish well. G Loomis has the same exact blanks designed for the above, also configured differently for walleye and inshore saltwater use. The XCC blanks aren't as fast, but are built on composite materials and are very durable and surprisingly light.

It is the techniques and lures I use, not the bass or walleye fighting prowess:D, that factor into my preferance for something other then a steelhead rod.

I have tried steelhead rods many a time for what I am asking and I am just not crazy about the flex, especially when fishing cranks or spinnerbaits. 

Edited by Beastly Backlash

On 7/26/2020 at 6:04 PM, Flip n Dip said:

I think a steelhead rod would be the best choice for what you intend to use it for. 

This is how I went when I wanted a longer casting rod for bass, that was suited for lighter lures. Although, the rod I have, a Lamiglass, is 8'6" long and I paired it with a first generation ABU Revo SLX . It was a smaller stream setup for me, primarily for wading. I've mostly used 1/8 to 3/8 oz. size jigs with it.  

Most of my casting rods are older, BPS Extremes, some are the Woo Daves series. I like the older graphite, it's a little heavy, but I've never had any breakage issues. It's been a good while since I've bought one, so no idea what they're offering now. I've been happy with them especially for the price, but I've never been a person who had to have all the latest & greatest that comes on the market. 

I know a good many folks who love the Dobyn's rods, but no idea if they make an 8', much less in the specs you're looking for. 

check out the demon, by century. 8 foot variable action 1/32-1.25

I have 4 ranging from 7-8 foot. You will never go back. Granted thats 2100 bucks for 4 rods. 

oh and the blank weighs an oz. built, around 3.5. black pelican can make you a casting.

Edited by fvgourami3

56 mins ago, TJones said:

BB it sounds like you are looking for a custom... if you want an 8 fter with those ratings it can be built my friend :th:

That is what I am thought, but trying to avoid that cost because even if I built the rod myself it will not be cheap.

50 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

That is what I am thought, but trying to avoid that cost because even if I built the rod myself it will not be cheap.

I hear u no doubt... but if u would happen choose to go that route, feel free to hit me up... happy to help.:th:

On 7/30/2020 at 3:57 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

It is the techniques and lures I use, not the bass or walleye fighting prowess:D, that factor into my preferance for something other then a steelhead rod.

I have tried steelhead rods many a time for what I am asking and I am just not crazy about the flex, especially when fishing cranks or spinnerbaits. 

Did you ever pick up the Dialuna? 

My feeling is...you're going to have to buy-sell-buy again a few times before finding that perfect rod for your niche application. That's what I had to do with the half dozen or so setups in my current rotation.

I recently bought a Steez 7'6 AGS spinner, and that's the longest rod I'm comfortable with on the yak w/o getting a much longer landing net. Even so there's a bit of contortion involved when landing fish w/o high sticking the rod. 

22 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Did you ever pick up the Dialuna? 

My feeling is...you're going to have to buy-sell-buy again a few times before finding that perfect rod for your niche application. That's what I had to do with the half dozen or so setups in my current rotation.

I recently bought a Steez 7'6 AGS spinner, and that's the longest rod I'm comfortable with on the yak w/o getting a much longer landing net. Even so there's a bit of contortion involved when landing fish w/o high sticking the rod. 

I haven't picked up the Dialuna yet as I opted to stick with the 8ft8in Legend.

Does the Dialuna come rated down to 1/4oz?

On 7/26/2020 at 5:45 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

I think that is the flipping stick, the length is on target though.

My 8ft8in Legend glass covers that weight range. I am looking for something on the lighter spectrum without going over 8ft.

Steez ags 8 footer ... Weighs nothing... I use it for square bills  cranks and a crap ton of other things... It's so light I even feels at home with lighter applications. 

You can pull hard on it and it loads down the blank nicely.. 

It's not a fast action 

It likes throwing 1/8 to an ounce... And I use it for 1.5oz swimbaits (not big worm hook type) and it loves it too. 

I never used a rod that is as comfortable at doing so much. I like faster actions for jigs and spinnerbaits though. 

Very good frog rod 

They offer 2 8footers this one and I think a frog rod... This one's action is not a broom stick... Quite soft in today's bass world.. 

One pricey rod that's worth the money