Beastly Backlash

8ft Casting Rods, 1/4oz-3/4oz rating?

29 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Uriel918 said:

I have a St Croix mojo bass 7’11

great rod overall, thats closest to the length you want. I would recommend to take look at it.

Are you referring to the flipping stick - rated at 1/2 to 2 ounces. 

‘’if so it might be a bit “ heavy “ for his needs. 

49 mins ago, NewAtIt said:

I picked up a Shimano Curado in 7 ft 2 in and really enjoy that rod. They do make the rod in a 7 ft 6 inch 1/4 to 3/4 ounce. 

087C4976-477B-4A13-A3A0-C8690E8665BE.jpeg

I will take a look at that.

3 hours ago, Uriel918 said:

I have a St Croix mojo bass 7’11

great rod overall, thats closest to the length you want. I would recommend to take look at it.

I think that is the flipping stick, the length is on target though.

My 8ft8in Legend glass covers that weight range. I am looking for something on the lighter spectrum without going over 8ft.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/26/2020 at 6:04 PM, Flip n Dip said:

I think a steelhead rod would be the best choice for what you intend to use it for. 

No, to soft and/or too long.

This rod will be pulling double dity off the yak and on shore.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I could use some recommendations on a reel to go with this rod too. A reel that does well under 1/2oz.

This set-up is actually going to be a baitcasting alternate to my light spinning set-up.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I could use some recommendations on a reel to go with this rod too. A reel that does well under 1/2oz.

This set-up is actually going to be a baitcasting alternate to my light spinning set-up.

I have a Curado 200 HG that I really like.  I also have Curado DC 150 that I love. 

I have a Daiwa Tatula on another rod - its ok but the feel and quality of the Curado’s he head and shoulders above. 

Both reels are lined with PowerPro Super Slick 8 V2 - 20 # and I have no issues. 

Edited by NewAtIt

It looks like about the best I can do might be something close to 7ft6in.

Does anyone know why baitcasting rods for bass are always rates heavy to extra heavy when they are around 8ft in length?

On 7/27/2020 at 9:37 PM, NewAtIt said:

I have a Curado 200 HG that I really like.  I also have Curado DC 150 that I love. 

I have a Daiwa Tatula on another rod - its ok but the feel and quality of the Curado’s he head and shoulders above. 

Both reels are lined with PowerPro Super Slick 8 V2 - 20 # and I have no issues. 

Supposedly the Tatula 100 is designed to cast light lures.

The smaller Okuma baitcasters seem designed more for all purpose use then finesse use. I have the Komodo 273SS, but it is definitely not built for finesse, I am half tempted to replace my channel cat spinning outfits with Komodo 273's after having used my one 273 pretty hard since I got it.

How do those Curados manage 1/4oz lures?

2 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Supposedly the Tatula 100 is designed to cast light lures.

The smaller Okuma baitcasters seem designed more for all purpose use then finesse use. I have the Komodo 273SS, but it is definitely not built for finesse, I am half tempted to replace my channel cat spinning outfits with Komodo 273's after having used my one 273 pretty hard since I got it.

How do those Curados manage 1/4oz lures?

I haven’t thrown anything that small on them.