jordanabshire

Cantaloupe Overload

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I mentioned on another thread that we had a little mix-up seed wise in the greenhouse.  What we thought were cucumber seeds were actually cantaloupe.  Soooooo, instead of a glut of cukes that I was going to pickle, we have like a zillion melons.  Picked the first one this morning.

XQgxsJ.png

I will do the usual googling and searching but I also want to pick your brains.  Maybe think outside the box.  More than ever I don't want to waste anything. Recipes, ways to preserve....pressure canning????  Just anything.  Or, last resort, the raccoons have major feasts every night lol.

Just enjoy them while you can. Nothing like garden fresh mellons.

Offer them to friends.

I don't think there is any effective way to long term store them.

Everything else into the compost pile.

Jordan, welcome.

Just a note. Please make your food posts in the proper forum, which would be here in the Cooking Your Catcgh Forum" or alternatively in The Town Tavern in the Food Thread.

The Food Fling Forum is for posts about an annual event that SOL holds to have a get together and raise oney for kids fishing charities, not for discussions of recipes and such.

Thanks. :)

3 hours ago, skinnywater said:

Pickled cantaloupe is delicious 

Was thinking the same when I saw your post. Are they done while still green/unripened ?

1 hour ago, richie c said:

Was thinking the same when I saw your post. Are they done while still green/unripened ?

I've only had it pickled from ripe melon.  

A farmer friend once gave us 8 cases of cantaloupe... We diced them and froze them... Substatute for ice cubes in slushes and made some great adult drinks with them...

Butch

Posted (edited) · Report post

Use some for a fruit salad.  Slice them into crescents and dice into bite size pieces. Toss with other fruit like other melons, citrus fruits, peaches, grapes, blueberries, etc.  Only use watermelon, strawberries and/or bananas if it's all going to be eaten the same day because they don't keep well in the salad.  For a dressing, add undiluted frozen orange juice and toss.  Refrigerate the leftovers.

Edited by primeline31
Edit: Forgot a word.