Jubert93

Party boat questions for Seabass and Fluke

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Very little experience on party boats. Used to go fluking out in Rhode Island with the family while renting rods.
Trying out a new party boat off CT shoreline.
They stated they use between 6-12 oz weights to hold bottom.
1) I plan on using a Jigging World Nexus 2-6 oz spinning rod with a Penn slammer 3 4500 reel and 30# braid. This should be fine right? I know the 2-6oz is for casting but if im dropping straight to the bottom, Id assume 12 oz is okay.
2) Since this is deeper water, how do you guys setup the best rig? For lighter weight Id just use bucktails but since Ill be using up to 12 oz weights what would be good? High low rig?
3) Bait? The party boat will supply squid and spearing. I also see a lot of Gulp being used. Would using Gulp on the top teaser and cut bait at the bottom hook be ideal? 1 and 1 vs bait on both vs gulp on both.

Thanks!

57 mins ago, Jubert93 said:

Very little experience on party boats. Used to go fluking out in Rhode Island with the family while renting rods.
1) I plan on using a Jigging World Nexus 2-6 oz spinning rod with a Penn slammer 3 4500 reel and 30# braid. This should be fine right? I know the 2-6oz is for casting but if im dropping straight to the bottom, Id assume 12 oz is okay.
2) Since this is deeper water, how do you guys setup the best rig? For lighter weight Id just use bucktails but since Ill be using up to 12 oz weights what would be good? High low rig?
3) Bait? The party boat will supply squid and spearing. I also see a lot of Gulp being used. Would using Gulp on the top teaser and cut bait at the bottom hook be ideal? 1 and 1 vs bait on both vs gulp on both.

Thanks!

1. I don’t have that rod. Put 12 oz on it and bounce it a few times. I suspect it can handle the weight but it won’t be a fun day. I bring a rod that can handle 28 oz and two others. 
2. chicken rig. YouTube how to tie it. I would make 3 per person just in case you snag or foul the rig with a dogfish or another fisherman. Use jig hooks. 5/0 or larger. Some people put teasers on - I use pink plastic squids and other Mylar teasers. 
3. Gulp 6” swimming mullet or 6” grub. Sometimes 5” grub. Pink shine, white glow and chartreuse are good colors to start with. Two packs each per person. 

Some days gulp color matters. Most days it doesn’t. 

Other good colors include white, nuclear chicken, new penny, pink, blue fuze, fire tiger, etc. 

I don’t use bait up there (Nantucket) but guys who use whole squids on 3 way rigs do catch fluke. Fluke belly strips can work also but will catch nuisance fish like dogfish and sea robins. This might not bother you until you reel up a few back to back. Most party boat supply baits so fares catch something. 

good luck and catch a big one!

1 hour ago, Jubert93 said:

Thanks!

1. Give it a shot, lil bit of extra weight might put a bend in the rod, but that reel isn't gonna struggle at all with a sea bass, fluke or anything else you might run into up there.  You'll probably get away with using a little less weight on braid anyway.  Worst case, ask for a boat rod if it isn't working out. 

2. High low/chicken rig is good

3. If it's free its for me.  Gulp is good too, your hands will smell less at the end of the day, and you can experiment with different colors if the fish are finicky

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, hookmeup said:

1. I don’t have that rod. Put 12 oz on it and bounce it a few times. I suspect it can handle the weight but it won’t be a fun day. I bring a rod that can handle 28 oz and two others. 

Mind sharing what your deep water rod setup is? Is it also spinning? For the Jigging Nexus, the baitshop owner said that most rods that handle bigger weights are conventional (which makes sense).

Edited by Jubert93

Bucktail with a teaser is how I start. With bait on bucktail and gulp on teaser to start. Then I switch it up what's working. Over 6 oz I usually go with chicken rig. I could not go without gulp. Big and small, white, chartreuse, pink. 

Good luck.

Rod will work just fine.

I'm a conventional guy for Fluke though. Free spool and my thumb is my friend to let out for scope or feed the fish.

40 mins ago, b4loran said:

I'm a conventional guy for Fluke though. Free spool and my thumb is my friend to let out for scope or feed the fish.

This is the most important part of using a conventional setup for this type of fishing. 

The nexus is fine for shallow water jig fishing. 

Drifting deep water with 6 to 12 sinkers is conventional territory.