iwantmypie

Barrel Swivels

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I’ve been going back and forth between tying leaders direct and using barrel swivels all season. Was a barrel swivel user for the longest time and recent started tying direct last year.

For those of you that do use them, how big are you going? For my surf setup (10’ rod, 20lb Fireline, 50lb mono leader) I had been using 165lb swivels but I recently switched to 100lb swivels.

Figured there’s no reason to have to use anything bigger than 100lb but then again I’ve had these accidentally slip through my rod tip before (part of why I started experimenting with tying direct).

I’m back to swivels and short leaders after 20 years of long leaders on round reels. Recent dabbling with fixed spools spawned that change. I purposely use lighter (50-75) lb.) swivels and clips that can be easily reeled through all the guides of a spinner or a casting rod. Makes waterside switching between a spinner and conventional reel a one minute job. I figure if my leader is 40-60 lbs, the terminal tackle doesn’t need to be much stronger.

29 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

I’ve been going back and forth between tying leaders direct and using barrel swivels all season. Was a barrel swivel user for the longest time and recent started tying direct last year.

For those of you that do use them, how big are you going? For my surf setup (10’ rod, 20lb Fireline, 50lb mono leader) I had been using 165lb swivels but I recently switched to 100lb swivels.

Figured there’s no reason to have to use anything bigger than 100lb but then again I’ve had these accidentally slip through my rod tip before (part of why I started experimenting with tying direct).

I'm not sure on the strength but the size I use is 3 I believe.

sometimes I use small stainless steel rings that I got on amazon.

they are 6 mm size.

winches don't twist line so they have worked well for me.

barrels don't actually do much at all but,make for a good thing to grip when grabbing your leader.

HH 

52 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

i would use 50 # or 75 #,put beed in front off swivel will not go in eylets.

Posted (edited) · Report post

barrel swivel is good for tying in a dropper line for a redgill or dropper fly. 100 # is good; the others are too small to deal with especially at night and with my aging eyes.......Don't even bother with a dropper loop; they are very weak. I asked Tony Stetzko about this, and he (73 lb bass on a dropper) agreed........  I haven't come close on a dropper, only a bunch of 40# bass, but I will never use a dropper loop. 

Edited by cbchurch

23 mins ago, cbchurch said:

barrel swivel is good for tying in a dropper line for a redgill or dropper fly. 100 # is good; the others are too small to deal with especially at night and with my aging eyes.......Don't even bother with a dropper loop; they are very weak. I asked Tony Stetzko about this, and he (73 lb bass on a dropper) agreed........  I haven't come close on a dropper, only a bunch of 40# bass, but I will never use a dropper loop. 

There was an extensive thread about just that topic a few months ago.  From informal testing I discovered the dropper loop knot always failed and usually at less than half the leader rated strength.  Again from informal testing and with a lot of good input from others here on SOL I found the best way to make a dropper is to use a Palomar knot at the swivel and the tag end for the dropper.

16 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

There was an extensive thread about just that topic a few months ago.  From informal testing I discovered the dropper loop knot always failed and usually at less than half the leader rated strength.  Again from informal testing and with a lot of good input from others here on SOL I found the best way to make a dropper is to use a Palomar knot at the swivel and the tag end for the dropper.

you could tie 2 swivels to main line. push man line thrue 2 swivel eye same time and tie and tie sepert leader to each swivel will prevent twist teaser and jig  or lure.

thay make new treeway now you can use,it is swivel with 3 eyelets.

Edited by snag777

I use 30lb braid with a short 40lb mono leader. They are connected with a 50lb barrel swivel, specifically because it will pass through the rod tip. Why use a swivel way stronger than your line? I’ve heard about people knocking the insert out of their rod tip when using a swivel that won’t pass through. Just make sure the swivel is north of the tip before you cast! Also I find there’s plenty of room to tie on a teaser on if desired, but I use uni knots.

4 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I'm not sure on the strength but the size I use is 3 I believe.

sometimes I use small stainless steel rings that I got on amazon.

they are 6 mm size.

winches don't twist line so they have worked well for me.

barrels don't actually do much at all but,make for a good thing to grip when grabbing your leader.

HH 

I never thought barrel swivels didn’t much for line twist. I primarily use them because in the event that I need a new leader during the middle of a trip (especially at night) having a pretied leader with barrel swivel that only needs an easy palomer knot to the main line is the only reasonable solution in my mind. Forget trying to tie a alberto, fg or uni knot in the middle of the night when it’s cold and raining. 

Bead if front of swivel is good in theory but bad in use. Spanish,jacks and ladyfish will cut you off as soon as your line hits the water. It’s bad enough with only a swivel but that’s fishing!

1 hour ago, iwantmypie said:

I never thought barrel swivels didn’t much for line twist. I primarily use them because in the event that I need a new leader during the middle of a trip (especially at night) having a pretied leader with barrel swivel that only needs an easy palomer knot to the main line is the only reasonable solution in my mind. Forget trying to tie a alberto, fg or uni knot in the middle of the night when it’s cold and raining. 

yeah,I get that.

I don't use braid so the good,ole clinch and improved clinch work well since I started saltwater fishing 40 years ago.

HH

The idea of reeling a swivel through a rod tip makes me cringe. Put a bead on the line before you tie on your swivel, save the rod tip. 

I like to start off by tying my leader direct then if I get snagged or broken off, I’ll bring out a pre tied leader with a swivel just to save some time. Fishing at night, you don’t always see the swivel and you’ll accidentally run it through the guides, have to try your best to feel where the swivel is as your bring in your lure.

Edited by rdiezel