scoobydoo

What is going on here??? Now I gotta fish more crap just to find out..

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

You do a good job of it and it's appreciated.

Thanks Dan!

20 mins ago, valentine said:

I Understand that gear reviews are your livelihood , and I enjoy reading your posts and watching your videos.
But I also realize that after many years of my own searching for the latest and greatest rods, reels, line, lures, etc. I can’t actually say that any of the new gear improved my situation all that much.

Certainly , I have modern gear which out performs the first stuff I ever used.

But,  I’m going to go out on a limb and say that in almost 50 years of saltwater fishing it’s my own fishing skills improving which has been the greatest advance I’ve seen in my fishing.  
In other words, using an advanced carbon fiber rod with a multi bearing wonder reel loaded with  super line isn’t the reason I’m much better at fishing than when I first started.

In fact, if I could pick up the first hand me down rod which I learned to plug with, today, I’d be able to catch pretty much as well as I do with my pricey modern gear.

Without a doubt 100%

There are some things that have changed over the decades that are real improvements....but very few actually make a lick of difference...Especially in the surf.  Outside of weight reduction, braid, Clips and sealed reels....I don't know of much that I bought on the shelf that made me a better fisherman......More enjoyable yes....better catcherman..no.

Also keep in mind though....you can only catch fish that are in front of you.  Gear doesn't change that....Nicer fancier gear can make that time inbetween more enjoyable....(but only if you're the type that can appreciate it)

In terms of modern gear.....I've said many times especially pertaining to our limited offerings of US market spinning reels.  They make me a worse fishermen and cause me to catch less.

I have a retrieve cadence that I've grooved over 30 years....

Now everything is high speed.....That kills me...Any distraction and I'm back up to 20mph 

Now weeding through the hundreds of brands who sell gear that will cause a loss of one's valuable free time is quickly becoming the new norm...there is so much garbage......

Not an issue for someone like you or many here...but those young or new to the sport who don't know WhoflungPoofish with 600 fake reviews, pretty colors and bold claims isn't a reputable brand......are in for a rude awakening.

I've had issues with using certain lines with certain reels but after experimenting with my casting technique I noticed most of the issues I had were due to user error. Switching to manual pickup reels and upping the braid size from 30lb to 40lb in combination with fine tuning my casting technique is what got rid of most of my line related problems problems.  Of course I had to try different gear until I found what worked best but I do think ultimately it comes down to learning to use the gear you have instead of continuously trying new equipment. 

I just read this and wow,,,,,,,:o there's nothing wrong with using vintage gear rods,,, reels ,,,:) but some of the new tackle makes a big difference like fluorocarbon litter,,,,carbon fiber drag washers and kevlar braided line,,,,:headscratch: there always coming out with new stuff,,,,,,,,,:D

20190619_215109.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Thanks Dan!

You both do a good job imo! As far as line goes, fisherman will stick with what they are confident with. To each their own. 

For me, I prefer Suffix 832 on spinning reels for braid. Fireline is pretty good too.

Suffix 832 is also pretty good on conventional reels, as is Momoi Diamond Mono (very costly to keep changing out mono however).

Berkeley Tracer braid is a radial braid that's also very good on conventionals. 

The first braid I ever used was PowerPro and I found that the Suffix outlasted it. The cost of fishing line these days is ridiculous so durability is a big part of a buying decision for me.

Edited by CaryGreene

21 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

I've had issues with using certain lines with certain reels but after experimenting with my casting technique I noticed most of the issues I had were due to user error. Switching to manual pickup reels and upping the braid size from 30lb to 40lb in combination with fine tuning my casting technique is what got rid of most of my line related problems problems.  Of course I had to try different gear until I found what worked best but I do think ultimately it comes down to learning to use the gear you have instead of continuously trying new equipment. 

LOL you gotta love the one your with!

23 hours ago, valentine said:

I don’t know what it is about fisherman always being in the search for something better.

As a kid, Ande Pink mono was the first line I ever used.

Still love Ande lines. I use them for leaders now.

3 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

You both do a good job imo! As far as line goes, fisherman will stick with what they are confident with. To each their own. 

For me, I prefer Suffix 832 on spinning reels for braid. Fireline is pretty good too.

Suffix 832 is also pretty good on conventional reels, as is Momoi Diamond Mono (very costly to keep changing out mono however).

Berkeley Tracer braid is a radial braid that's also very good on conventionals. 

The first braid I ever used was PowerPro and I found that the Suffix outlasted it. The cost of fishing line these days is ridiculous so durability is a big part of a buying decision for me.

Suffix 832 is good braid. Been around almost as long as Power Pro. 

2 hours ago, foxfai said:

Still love Ande lines. I use them for leaders now.

Andes makes really solid Mono. All of my night fishing leaders are exclusively Andy's Tournament mono. 

Ummm ... Question .... If you know it is garbage line, and in all likelihood over priced, even if they paid you to put it on your reel(s) ... why try it?!?

Every millimeter you buy only supports that company, and encourages them to produce/market garbage.

Edited by afishhunter

Over 20lb It don't really matter what line you use,,,,, :o it's the litter,,,,,till you hit 200lb then you better go with 400lb hi-catch  for gothic grouper,,,,,,,:D

20200616_183433.jpg

Edited by bennie

7 hours ago, afishhunter said:

Ummm ... Question .... If you know it is garbage line, and in all likelihood over priced, even if they paid you to put it on your reel(s) ... why try it?!?

Every millimeter you buy only supports that company, and encourages them to produce/market garbage.

I think I may be one of the only people who would be the exception to to your statement. I bet they wish I didn't see their ad. 

I paid 24$ and in 2 days 30k people know my assessment of the product 

There is a time and place for things. Despite being a diehard Fireline user, I do keep a reel spooled with Power Pro for fishing slop and weeds. The rough PP acts like a saw on organic material. The coated lines do better around rocks and inorganic materials. 

I also just dropped $25 on a spool of Nomad Pandora 8x not because of some wild reviews of an esoteric line, but because it is variegated pink and blue and matches the colors of my girlfriend’s rod. 3D8FAACF-A418-4D56-BB4D-4BE85899C17B.jpeg.6b48d1f97f17f50a580ddea6a6badd9a.jpeg
She knows this was an emotive decision, and even asked me if I really wanted to pay that much, and I said yes. I will likely get several years out of the spool and if it makes a beginning fisherman feel better and gives her confidence, then I am all for it. There is a time and place....

I watched Scoobs video review of Beyond Braid.  Maybe the line works fine for me because of how I’m using it.  I use it for tossing chunks with 8 oz whereas he was soft tossing a lure in a creek.  I don’t need anything fancy to do what I do IMO.  I think if I was throwing small lures I might feel differently.  Maybe...

8 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I think I may be one of the only people who would be the exception to to your statement. I bet they wish I didn't see their ad. 

I paid 24$ and in 2 days 30k people know my assessment of the product 

ScoobyDoo Is it possible that some of the strangeness people encounter with braid is from rough skin and handling of the line? I noticed my finger skin (after years of casting braid) is kind of rough. I can see that it abraids the line a bit. It gets feathery where I keep fingering it for casting on my spinners. Even taking apart wind knot can abrade the line. Then a few casts later you get a strange break-off.

Edited by aae0130