scoobydoo

What is going on here??? Now I gotta fish more crap just to find out..

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Fishing all the new products is literally my job. 

Trying new gear is enjoyable. 

Try some gosen 16 braid.. That stuff is incredible... Nothing else like it 

That's an awesome job!!  I love trying stuff out but I suck at communicating my thoughts and experiences.    That takes real talent.  

I'm too much of a semi hairless ape. 

17 hours ago, valentine said:

I don’t know what it is about fisherman always being in the search for something better.

As a kid, Ande Pink mono was the first line I ever used.

It never gave me any problems but, over time, I went searching for other lines.
I tried them all. Expensive, inexpensive, USA made and imported.

None served me better than Ande Pink but it took me decades to realize it.

Then I started with Power Pro braid because of all of the things I read regarding how great braided line was.

Power Pro served me well but it wasn’t long before I went in search of other braids.

Same thing again, expensive braid, inexpensive braid, USA made braid and cheap-o 

China made braid.

Now I’m back to power pro, etc, etc.

Life I’d too short to be in a perpetual search for a perfect product.

When I find something that works, from now on, I’m going to stick with it.

Why argue with success?

Ande pink mono, where it all began !!!!

Totally agree with post, if whatever you’re using makes you happy than you’re all set!!

I did the same upgrade experiments thru the years and looking back now, really wasn’t necessary... just keep it sweet and simple!!!

so in the end, my favorites are Berkeley XL Trilene for mono and Suffix for braid.

As an angler, all tackle manufacturers have a job to sell me stuff. Sometimes, their adds are correct, and what they are selling me is an improvement over my existing gear. I upgraded my bamboo poles to fiberglass rods, and finally upgraded again  to carbon composites. Regardless, everything the tackle manufacturers want to sell me is better than what I own, and they post videos and put up charts, some may even resort to sexy girls in bikinis to prove the point I am missing out. It’s not personal, they have a business to run and competition is steep. I get it.

Some of what they say may not be true. We are often sad when we rely on the misrepresentations and miss an opportunity to spend our hard earned money on something that works. 
I wonder, how much will this guy sell before folks figure it out, or if the fishing community, from years of burning out on sales pitches already has a gut feeling about this product?

11 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

I was using Power Pro on Penn Battles.  My understanding is that's a notoriously bad combination.  The problem was wind knots.  A very occasional one can be tolerated but when you get two or three in a couple hours of fishing that's way too much.  I sought advice here on SOL, followed it and the problem went away.  As you indicated nothing scientific but the problem was solved by going to another line.

Dan, just curious what your solution was. I have a Penn Fierce (more or less the same as a Battle) and while I still have Power Pro on it, the wind knots have always been a problem. Been thinking of trying something else out. I always have to remove 50 or so yards of line from what I’d think would be an acceptable amount of line on the reel to get the knots to calm down. I’m definitely loosing some casting distance and still get occasional wind knots, tho not as often when spooled to the max. I starting flipping the nail manually too but I can’t tell if that honestly helps at all. 

16 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Nice part of this forum is we can make comparisons and respectfully disagree.  I’ll never put Power Pro on a spinning reel again.  On a conventional reel it’s OK.

I had too much power pro break over the years on spinners and casting reels. One lot of power pro would be excellent, and another spool the line would fuzz up and snap. It could be just a short run quality control issue at different plants, but I haven’t gone back.

Hercules braid, never, I bought a spool of Amazon special, and it bled blue all over my hands and the reel. 

9 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

You do a good job of it and it's appreciated.

1 hour ago, iwantmypie said:

Dan, just curious what your solution was. I have a Penn Fierce (more or less the same as a Battle) and while I still have Power Pro on it, the wind knots have always been a problem. Been thinking of trying something else out. I always have to remove 50 or so yards of line from what I’d think would be an acceptable amount of line on the reel to get the knots to calm down. I’m definitely loosing some casting distance and still get occasional wind knots, tho not as often when spooled to the max. I starting flipping the nail manually too but I can’t tell if that honestly helps at all. 

The solution was to go to a different line.  If I recall I went to one of the Firelines.  I still have a couple Penn Battles with Power Pro on them but one by one I'm changing them out.

My complaint with all uncoated braid is that they are undisciplined. If you allow them to get slack, they get unruly. I just don’t want to spend time managing my line. 

I view cheap braid the same way I view cheap liquor. The first drink or two is always fine, but the hangover can be fierce if you stick with it too long. Might as well get the good stuff and use it moderately. I guess price becomes a bigger issue the more reels you own. I only need a spool or two of braid a year. 

27 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:
1 hour ago, iwantmypie said:

The solution was to go to a different line.  If I recall I went to one of the Firelines.  I still have a couple Penn Battles with Power Pro on them but one by one I'm changing them out.

The problem is not the line it the reel, l also had a problem with power pro when l tried using it with my new Penn slammer in 2005 think it was 4500 noting but wind knots problem is the stroke is too short small gap in front of the spool lip also in the rear l knew what the problem was, fix would be to use a heavier line like 50# PP my fix bought the reel back and got a Shimano Stradic 4000 end the wind knot problems. 

19 hours ago, valentine said:

I don’t know what it is about fisherman always being in the search for something better.

As a kid, Ande Pink mono was the first line I ever used.

It never gave me any problems but, over time, I went searching for other lines.
I tried them all. Expensive, inexpensive, USA made and imported.

None served me better than Ande Pink but it took me decades to realize it.

Then I started with Power Pro braid because of all of the things I read regarding how great braided line was.

Power Pro served me well but it wasn’t long before I went in search of other braids.

Same thing again, expensive braid, inexpensive braid, USA made braid and cheap-o 

China made braid.

Now I’m back to power pro, etc, etc.

Life I’d too short to be in a perpetual search for a perfect product.

When I find something that works, from now on, I’m going to stick with it.

Why argue with success?

Same here.

It is why I stick to Sufix 832, it just functions well and is reliable.

10 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I Understand that gear reviews are your livelihood , and I enjoy reading your posts and watching your videos.
But I also realize that after many years of my own searching for the latest and greatest rods, reels, line, lures, etc. I can’t actually say that any of the new gear improved my situation all that much.

Certainly , I have modern gear which out performs the first stuff I ever used.

But,  I’m going to go out on a limb and say that in almost 50 years of saltwater fishing it’s my own fishing skills improving which has been the greatest advance I’ve seen in my fishing.  
In other words, using an advanced carbon fiber rod with a multi bearing wonder reel loaded with  super line isn’t the reason I’m much better at fishing than when I first started.

In fact, if I could pick up the first hand me down rod which I learned to plug with, today, I’d be able to catch pretty much as well as I do with my pricey modern gear.

3 mins ago, valentine said:

I Understand that gear reviews are your livelihood , and I enjoy reading your posts and watching your videos.
But I also realize that after many years of my own searching for the latest and greatest rods, reels, line, lures, etc. I can’t actually say that any of the new gear improved my situation all that much.

Certainly , I have modern gear which out performs the first stuff I ever used.

But,  I’m going to go out on a limb and say that in almost 50 years of saltwater fishing it’s my own fishing skills improving which has been the greatest advance I’ve seen in my fishing.  
In other words, using an advanced carbon fiber rod with a multi bearing wonder reel loaded with  super line isn’t the reason I’m much better at fishing than when I first started.

In fact, if I could pick up the first hand me down rod which I learned to plug with, today, I’d be able to catch pretty much as well as I do with my pricey modern gear.

Bingo! We have a winner!

24 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

My complaint with all uncoated braid is that they are undisciplined. If you allow them to get slack, they get unruly. I just don’t want to spend time managing my line. 

I view cheap braid the same way I view cheap liquor. The first drink or two is always fine, but the hangover can be fierce if you stick with it too long. Might as well get the good stuff and use it moderately. I guess price becomes a bigger issue the more reels you own. I only need a spool or two of braid a year. 

Excellent way to describe the negatives of an ultra limp braid....And it's magnified when it's sopping wet and windy out....as it can then stick to flat surfaces.

Now imagine if you had freshly spooled power pro, and worn maxima braid...alternating every few feet....

That's this stuff.

I think that's what it kept jumping out of the t wing groove when on the water...

(I fished alot of finesse and slack line presentations off camera...and the constant jumping out of the groove resulted in high spotting the handle side of the spool...which then made it difficult for the line to seat in the notch)

Thanks for the info, hopefully they can fix the problem. Have you considered contacting the company. Maybe they already fixed the problem and would make restitution

9 mins ago, glos said:

He does, a good job, but I don`t know how much really he is capable of apreciating and understanding what he should.

It`s more the case of adjusting his stands on what most of you use and think.

I don’t think it is fair to other people to turn a critical eye on them that way. And you contradicted yourself in two sentences. If he understands he needs to adjust his stance, that would indicate he is capable of appreciating what he should.  His goal is to make a living, not to define perfection.