scoobydoo

What is going on here??? Now I gotta fish more crap just to find out..

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

Thankfully I'm done fishing Beyond Braid....it's proven to be the worst line I've ever used..Different colors handle completely differently....Black is stiff, White is loose and ropey...blue is somewhere in between. I haven't fished a braid that holds more water than this stuff.  It's not stronger than braids of the same diameter.  And it sheds black sticky boogery pigment blobs when spooling and in use.

Watch the 20 second vid below of the same dude saying the same thing about his braid (hercules braid)....and his other braid ( Beyond braid )

His Hercules vid was out well before I could find anything about beyond braid(as far as I was able to find.)

So now I have to compare the two to see if Beyond Braid ...is the same stuff only rebranded Hercules and 4x the price.

I still don't know what's going on here....was the hercules labeled braid just a sample he was sent from the OEM that the dude didn't know was an existing brand?

Does the dude own Hercules?  Or did he just retail it at some point at his FishingKings tackle shop (the link in his vid goes to a dead link)

I don’t know what it is about fisherman always being in the search for something better.

As a kid, Ande Pink mono was the first line I ever used.

It never gave me any problems but, over time, I went searching for other lines.
I tried them all. Expensive, inexpensive, USA made and imported.

None served me better than Ande Pink but it took me decades to realize it.

Then I started with Power Pro braid because of all of the things I read regarding how great braided line was.

Power Pro served me well but it wasn’t long before I went in search of other braids.

Same thing again, expensive braid, inexpensive braid, USA made braid and cheap-o 

China made braid.

Now I’m back to power pro, etc, etc.

Life I’d too short to be in a perpetual search for a perfect product.

When I find something that works, from now on, I’m going to stick with it.

Why argue with success?

59 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Thankfully I'm done fishing Beyond Braid....it's proven to be the worst line I've ever used..Different colors handle completely differently....Black is stiff, White is loose and ropey...blue is somewhere in between. I haven't fished a braid that holds more water than this stuff.  It's not stronger than braids of the same diameter.  And it sheds black sticky boogery pigment blobs when spooling and in use.

Watch the 20 second vid below of the same dude saying the same thing about his braid (hercules braid)....and his other braid ( Beyond braid )

His Hercules vid was out well before I could find anything about beyond braid(as far as I was able to find.)

So now I have to compare the two to see if Beyond Braid ...is the same stuff only rebranded Hercules and 4x the price.

I still don't know what's going on here....was the hercules labeled braid just a sample he was sent from the OEM that the dude didn't know was an existing brand?

Does the dude own Hercules?  Or did he just retail it at some point at his FishingKings tackle shop (the link in his vid goes to a dead link)

I’ve used Hercules braid for about 4 years now.  Absolutely no problems.  Does it leave color on your finger when you spool it? Yes, what braid doesn’t and what’s the big deal?  I use a long top shot So fish don’t see the color of my braid near their food.  Therefore if the fish is upset because of the color fade, well fooey on them.  They didn’t have to buy it, I DID!  I Normally use Blue, Black or Yellow.  Why?  Because Blue is always 30 lbs.  Black is always 50 lb test and Yellow is always 20 lb test.  For me, that’s the only reason to change colors.  

Sorry, no goo, just braid.  It fades, get over it or pay three times the price for Power Pro.  I am a fan of cheap good braid like Hercules.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, valentine said:

I don’t know what it is about fisherman always being in the search for something better.

Then I started with Power Pro braid because of all of the things I read regarding how great braided line was.

Power Pro served me well but it wasn’t long before I went in search of other braids.

Same thing again, expensive braid, inexpensive braid, USA made braid and cheap-o 

China made braid.

Why argue with success?

l did pretty much did what you did in the 60s pink Ande them Green Ande tournament it was hard to find in lower pond test 8 -10 -12lb so l switched to Trylin, not the big game stayed with what until braids came out tried Fusion in the 90s for while it made a lot of noise going through the guides on retrieving switched to Power Pro when it can out never looked back l tried some other brands that was short-lived now about 20 years with Power Pro. I'm not about to change at my age it has served me good.

Edited by LB

1 hour ago, valentine said:

China made braid.

Why argue with success?

Nice part of this forum is we can make comparisons and respectfully disagree.  I’ll never put Power Pro on a spinning reel again.  On a conventional reel it’s OK.

talk about old school.  I have had several issues with high powered spin casting braid line with mono leader where the leader separated from the braid.  not knot failure!  I have had professional tackle shops tie the connection.  it appears to be a result of the knot going through the guides on my new loomis rod, which have had the guides inspected.   shops have suggested I keep the knot outside of the rod tip when casting, which results in a two foot leader?  I am sticking with (gasp!) stren or ande mono which just works with no issues.

20 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Nice part of this forum is we can make comparisons and respectfully disagree.  I’ll never put Power Pro on a spinning reel again.  On a conventional reel it’s OK.

Curious to know what problems you had with power pro.

I used to get wind knots with the stuff but I calmed down my lure working style and wind knots mostly went away.

Also, I do have some reels which handle braid far better than others, so there’s that too.

Finally, I have run cheap china braid on the same reels as premium braid and found that the cheaper stuff simply gave me more problems than premium lines.

It’s either the reel, the braid or me.

I’m betting that  it’s the braided line itself.

There’s Nothing scientific about my tests, it’s simply what I’ve experienced and come to believe.

And, you’re right; it’s good that we have this forum to discuss opinions, disagreements or anything else.

Cheers!

Power Pro is great braided line. No need to search further IMO. If your reel has good line lay Power Pro will work just fine. That said it is fun to try all sorts of gear. Also gives you something to do in winter. Research new gear. 

1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

Why is that? I have had nothing but good luck with it, just curious.

Edited by LB

3 hours ago, valentine said:

Curious to know what problems you had with power pro.

I used to get wind knots with the stuff but I calmed down my lure working style and wind knots mostly went away.

Also, I do have some reels which handle braid far better than others, so there’s that too.

Finally, I have run cheap china braid on the same reels as premium braid and found that the cheaper stuff simply gave me more problems than premium lines.

It’s either the reel, the braid or me.

I’m betting that  it’s the braided line itself.

There’s Nothing scientific about my tests, it’s simply what I’ve experienced and come to believe.

And, you’re right; it’s good that we have this forum to discuss opinions, disagreements or anything else.

Cheers!

Why is that? I have had nothing but good luck with it, just curious.

I was using Power Pro on Penn Battles.  My understanding is that's a notoriously bad combination.  The problem was wind knots.  A very occasional one can be tolerated but when you get two or three in a couple hours of fishing that's way too much.  I sought advice here on SOL, followed it and the problem went away.  As you indicated nothing scientific but the problem was solved by going to another line.

Edited by Dan Tinman

7 hours ago, srm413 said:

talk about old school.  I have had several issues with high powered spin casting braid line with mono leader where the leader separated from the braid.  not knot failure!  I have had professional tackle shops tie the connection.  it appears to be a result of the knot going through the guides on my new loomis rod, which have had the guides inspected.   shops have suggested I keep the knot outside of the rod tip when casting, which results in a two foot leader?  I am sticking with (gasp!) stren or ande mono which just works with no issues.

Keep the knot off the spool and if you can close to the stripper guide... You'll never get a blow by break off again 

9 hours ago, valentine said:

China made braid.

Why argue with success?

Fishing all the new products is literally my job. 

Trying new gear is enjoyable. 

Try some gosen 16 braid.. That stuff is incredible... Nothing else like it 

Edited by scoobydoo

11 hours ago, valentine said:

You should be back to Ande, or Momoi.

I went back to braid for it's casting distance..But the braid I started using is spectra braid 4 stranded and cost me $4.99 for 300 meters and it is great..On most of my spinning reels I use from 20 to 30 pound test braid with no complaints and on my conventional reels I use 60 to 100 pound test also with no complaints.. So at 4.99 a role how can I have any complaint? Now I going to try the companies 8 strand braid at $8.99 for 300 meters and $10.00 for 500 meters..

Edited by sytheteacher